Companys from North Manchester in the 70's

mushroomman:

Driver-Once-More:

moomooland:

My parents used to have the car tuned at BVRT which is/was, I think, part of Vita

British Vita Racing Team, :wink: they had a garage near Hollingworth Lake where they used to work on their rallying cars. I think that they did a management buy out sometime in the late 70’s/early 80’s. :confused:

We used to go to the garage which I think was close to a mill, but yes, Bristish Vita Racing Team. Car on the rollers whilst they tuned it.

mushroomman:
I remember that Thomas’s son was called Albert who had a dark blue Rolls Royce, rego number AB 11. His wife Doris had a white Sunbeam Alpine convertible rego number DB 25. I use to love seeing that Sunbeam with the top down in the summer of 1966 when ever she came to the garage where I was working at the time. :smiley:

Now, there are a couple of christian names that are long out of favour… Albert and Doris. (Apologies to any Alberts and Dorises on here, no offence meant) :slight_smile:

240 Gardner:

davepenn54:
Courtaulds Ltd; Northern Spinning Division whose massive transport depot was next to the British Areospace factory on Greengate, Middleton, Gtr. Manchester.

That looks lke Derek Myers on the left.

Driver-Once-More:

moomooland:

My parents used to have the car tuned at BVRT which is/was, I think, part of Vita

I used to have my Range Rover sorted out by Harry Ratcliffe, or was he called Radcliffe? it was one of the first Range Rovers but he got it sorted. After a few year I bought another one, sucker, in 1975 and that was a problem from the word go but Harry stopped messing about with a Ferrari he was nursing back to health and got that sorted. Yes, I think they were bankrolled by Vitafoam.

David Marsh:

Driver-Once-More:

moomooland:
[attachment=0]Blue Dart-001.jpg[/attachment]

I used to have my Range Rover sorted out by Harry Ratcliffe, or was he called Radcliffe? it was one of the first Range Rovers but he got it sorted. After a few year I bought another one, sucker, in 1975 and that was a problem from the word go but Harry stopped messing about with a Ferrari he was nursing back to health and got that sorted. Yes, I think they were bankrolled by Vitafoam.

I think they ended up at Smithy Bridge Road between Rochdale and Littleborough, had a good reputation.

gingerfold:

mushroomman:
The ■■? Burton, Middleton mentioned by Boden was probably Thomas Burton whose yard was on Boothroyden Road, Rhodes. They had navy blue or black tippers doing coal and demolition in the sixties, I don’t know how far they used to go but I do remember seeing three of their wagons on the A57 near Worksop once with greedy boards and a load of coal.

They also had 3 flat lorries on A-Licence, two AEC Mercurys and an AEC Mammoth Major Eight Mk.V which Harry Roscoe of HKR Transport (mentioned in Boden’s post) bought along with their A-Licences in 1963 or 1964. They were dark blue in colour.

Albert did the ‘Fly Ash’ from the power station just off Broadway, Chadderton in the late fifties and early sixties and used to tip it next to Oldham Athletics football ground which was eventually made into Clayton Playing Fields.

How many of you lads remember these running about round Manchester along with the ones from British Railways.(Peter Davies Photo)

Hi John, I remember off loading the cream and maroon British Rail Scammells along with the green ones that were owned by British Road Service (Parcels).
Calico Printers had a place in Rhodes, Middleton which had at one time the tallest mill chimney in Europe. :sunglasses:

John Biesty Ltd of Collyhurst Albion Super Clydesdale HNB678E Fleet No 167 (I worked on this a few times during my time with Biestys) happy days :smiley:

gingerfold:

mushroomman:
I remember that Thomas’s son was called Albert who had a dark blue Rolls Royce, rego number AB 11. His wife Doris had a white Sunbeam Alpine convertible rego number DB 25. I use to love seeing that Sunbeam with the top down in the summer of 1966 when ever she came to the garage where I was working at the time. :smiley:

Now, there are a couple of christian names that are long out of favour… Albert and Doris. (Apologies to any Alberts and Dorises on here, no offence meant) :slight_smile:

My dad, born 1905, was Albert. Known all his life as Bert. His brother was Charles, known as Chuck. Not many Berts or Chucks about now! I think the last Chuck went on holiday to the Isle of Wight in a Beatles song, ‘when I’m 64!’

My older brother, born on St Andrew’s day, 1945, was christened Albert Andrew Ashcroft West. (Ashcroft was Dad’s mother’s maiden name.) until he was 15, he was known as Bertie.

The milkman at my aunt’s house in Haverthwaite, where we used to spend our summers, used to call him Wertie Best and howl with laughter.

At age 15, he understandably said that he now wished to be called Andy, which he has been known as ever since.

I’m John West. It’s actually quite a common name, when I was in Saudi, the American Ambassador was a John West. When I was young I was bemused to find that whenever I was introduced, the other person would say ‘Middle cut!’ It took me a while before I understood the significance. My dad said they hadn’t made the connection when they named me, but I’ve found that people remember my name - I say ‘like the salmon.’

Funny how names go in and out of fashion. Many younger children now have what we thought of as ‘old fashioned’ names.

John.

Hello Trappergreen and welcome to Trucknet. :smiley:
I am sorry that I couldn’t send this photo of you with that Private Message.

Vita Racing Ltd..png

8fc21600.jpg

You might remember seeing some of these old companies Mick, forty odd years ago. :wink:

DUKESF12.jpg

Harry Stottle:
Does anyone remember anything of Moston Haulage, who had a yard behind The Bowling Green Inn on Manchester Rd Oldham in late 70s / early 80s?
My father did quite a bit of driving for them, and as far as I can remember it was owned by two brothers - Malcolm and Alex Kilpatrick (Or possibly Fitzpatrick?). I think they ran an f87 or f88 plus a large box van amongst others.
At the time, my dad was also landlord of the Albion Inn nearby.

My Dad was Malcolm Kilpatrick. How long did you work for them Harry. Gail

You have some great photos there Plant pot, thanks for showing them and you might like this one.

The chap stood on top of the load with the crane, look, nobody died because of no hard hat, safety harness, hard hat, safety boots and goggles and an hours assessment before entering the site by watching a health and safety then take an exam.

Bone Shaker:
The chap stood on top of the load with the crane, look, nobody died because of no hard hat, safety harness, hard hat, safety boots and goggles and an hours assessment before entering the site by watching a health and safety then take an exam.

Nobody died? :open_mouth: