Company Resposibility when you reach 15hours [Merged]

Roymondo:

Driver-Once-More:

andyatmorri:
No there is no hotel at clacket lane Kent bound. The only one is opposite side of M25…
yes I’m new, very new to driving lgv’s.
I asked for advise on the law as clearly I didn’t and don’t know it.
Why would this be a wind up. Yes it’s a very regular run but first time I’ve done it and
normally stay within 40 miles of base. So yes I agree I’ve messed up but transport mNager told me my responsibility is for me to work out out how I’m getting home,
Other driver was doing the very same job in his own vehicle.

So, an O/D lets someone else take his vehicle?

I call Bull

I think when the OP says “in his own vehicle” he meant “Not in my vehicle” - addressing an earlier question on whether they were double-manned.
Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I’m still not clear on how this worked out.

OP. How did this go down.

A) At just before midnight, did two drivers, in two different units pulling two different trailers pull out of your yard on the way to IoW.

OR

B) At just before midnight, did two drivers, one driving, one in the passenger seat, take one unit and one trailer out of the yard on the way to IoW.

If its A then you are in the wrong because you are double manned and both of you can drive 10 hours and work 21 in a 30 hour period.

If its B then you are a spineless idiot. I would not have handed over the keys to the lorry until I was strapped into the van and ready to go.

Also, the additional time taken to get from card out to the yard is also paid working time because its the companies fault that you are in that situation.

Your daily rest didn’t start until you got back into your car because at no time were you free to dispose of your time as you saw fit. In your car at 1800 means no start before 0300. If you chose to start earlier, you chose to break the law.

The taxi fare is a legitimate expense because you would not have incurred the expense if you hadn’t been engaged on company business.

nsmith1180:

Roymondo:

Driver-Once-More:

andyatmorri:
No there is no hotel at clacket lane Kent bound. The only one is opposite side of M25…
yes I’m new, very new to driving lgv’s.
I asked for advise on the law as clearly I didn’t and don’t know it.
Why would this be a wind up. Yes it’s a very regular run but first time I’ve done it and
normally stay within 40 miles of base. So yes I agree I’ve messed up but transport mNager told me my responsibility is for me to work out out how I’m getting home,
Other driver was doing the very same job in his own vehicle.

So, an O/D lets someone else take his vehicle?

I call Bull

I think when the OP says “in his own vehicle” he meant “Not in my vehicle” - addressing an earlier question on whether they were double-manned.
Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

A) At just before midnight, did two drivers, in two different units pulling two different trailers pull out of your yard on the way to IoW.

OR

B) At just before midnight, did two drivers, one driving, one in the passenger seat, take one unit and one trailer out of the yard on the way to IoW.

If its A(B) then you are in the wrong because you are double manned and both of you can drive 10 hours and work 21 in a 30 hour period.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
If its B(A) then you are a spineless idiot. I would not have handed over the keys to the lorry until I was strapped into the van and ready to go.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Also, the additional time taken to get from card out to the yard is also paid working time because its the companies fault that you are in that situation.

Your daily rest didn’t start until you got back into your car because at no time were you free to dispose of your time as you saw fit. In your car at 1800 means no start before 0300. If you chose to start earlier, you chose to break the law.

The taxi fare is a legitimate expense because you would not have incurred the expense if you hadn’t been engaged on company business.

Thank you for the fix BlueEstate. I’m a well spined idiot.

tachograph:
This is one of those occasions when, regardless of what the law says, I would have been travelling back in one of those vehicles or one of those vehicles wouldn’t have been going anywhere.

having said that, I hope this thread is a wind up … I really do :wink:

+1
What driver never takes there wallet with them!, carry mine with me all time just in case :wink: :wink:

blue estate:

The way I read it is that the OP and ‘another’ driver,driving ‘another’ ( different ) ‘unit’ ( vehicle ),both decided to start work at 23.45,for a return run from Kent to the IOW with a known pre booked return ferry crossing at 10.30 the following morning.That’s the point when it all went wrong.Not when they predictably ran out of hours in the inevitably doomed attempt to return to base.IE they needlessly started the shift too bleedin early.Bearing in mind the known return ferry crossing time.

Also confirmed by the fact that the firm sent out three people to recover the two trucks one driving the van and two to drive the two different trucks. :bulb:

Carryfast:
Firstly why should the ‘commute’ to/from a parked/rescued vehicle away from base either to/from home or ‘accommodation’ be treated any differently to the commute to/from base. :confused: Or for that matter what’s the point in criminalising employers and drivers in the event of running out of hours for ‘unforeseen’ reasons requiring the driver and vehicle to be ‘rescued’.When surely the rescue itself is evidence of compliance with the law as far as is possible in that case.

Easily answered, the law changed because people took the ■■■■, mostly coach companies to be fair. Back when I drove coaches full time some of the shifts were brutal, 15 hours picking up passengers all over place then a 4 hour drive back to yard in company car, not fun

Or rather the law was enforced

I noticed that the op didn’t respond to the final reply 4 days after it was posted.

And why did the op feel the need to pm me and what looked to be like everyone else with the tale of woe. (Only just seen it. It was posted on 13th August.)

jackanory.jpg

Ken.

I would go in at 23.45…take the truck off route to a safe parking space…help myself to the weekly shop…then go home…thats your £60 back…and self satisfaction.

What an absolute pair of ■■■ socks.