commer maxiload

Dave the Renegade:

altitude:

Stanfield:
A few lined up here.

JOHN

My old man drove one for Bradleys, not a maxiload one like the one on the right of the photo. It had an Eaton 2 speed and went well, but always sounded like it needed another gear. If you needed to look left or right you had to bend forward, because your head was up in the roof, horrible bloody thing.

Those Commer’s in the pic are the Commer 8 ton,which grossed at 12 ton,the Maxiload had twin headlights and grossed at 14 or 16 ton.
Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave
Yeah know what you saying, I know that’s not a maxiload but it has the same sort of cab, and they were OK. but that old thing on the end of the photo, was the biggest load of rubbish that I had the good luck never to drive :slight_smile:

cheers

John.

altitude:

Dave the Renegade:

altitude:

Stanfield:
A few lined up here.

JOHN

My old man drove one for Bradleys, not a maxiload one like the one on the right of the photo. It had an Eaton 2 speed and went well, but always sounded like it needed another gear. If you needed to look left or right you had to bend forward, because your head was up in the roof, horrible bloody thing.

Those Commer’s in the pic are the Commer 8 ton,which grossed at 12 ton,the Maxiload had twin headlights and grossed at 14 or 16 ton.
Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave
Yeah know what you saying, I know that’s not a maxiload but it has the same sort of cab, and they were OK. but that old thing on the end of the photo, was the biggest load of rubbish that I had the good luck never to drive :slight_smile:

cheers

John.

Hi John,
I think the one on the end like you drove were called the C series,there were a few of those around here,they had one in the Gore in the late 60’s emptying the bins on the chipping plant,just running in the quarry on internal work.
Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave
No I never drove one of those, in my post I said it was my old man that drove one, I loved going with him until he started on Bradley’s and got that thing, I only went in it once never again, if I had ever had to drive anything like that my lorry driving days would have been very short. In later years I did drive a lot of rubbish, but none of them were as bad as that thing. :cry: :cry:

cheers

John.

altitude:
Hi Dave
No I never drove one of those, in my post I said it was my old man that drove one, I loved going with him until he started on Bradley’s and got that thing, I only went in it once never again, if I had ever had to drive anything like that my lorry driving days would have been very short. In later years I did drive a lot of rubbish, but none of them were as bad as that thing. :cry: :cry:

cheers

John.

Hi John,
Misread your post,just read it again.Memo to me to read post’s properly :confused: :laughing: :laughing: .
Cheers Dave.

Don’t know whether the artic was technically a Maxiload but I rode around in a 4 wheel tipper for a couple of years when my dad drove one, no picture of that one has survived so this one on a run will have to do.

one that my dad drove loaded with 15 ton of sugar beet.

truckfing:
Don’t know whether the artic was technically a Maxiload but I rode around in a 4 wheel tipper for a couple of years when my dad drove one, no picture of that one has survived so this one on a run will have to do.

a bloke i know had one similar to this but with a single axle high sided cage trailer and carried empty steel barrels,i was only a young lad at the time but the sound of it coming down the road to his house was fantastic

My dad drove one many years ago for Rolls Royce, Filton.

BIGGEE:
one that my dad drove loaded with 15 ton of sugar beet.

Hi BIGGEE

Well looking at your pic, we can see why it got the name Maxiload. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Here’s some I am posting with the kind permission of Dave Gothard.

Another pictured here with a Egro cabbed Albion

And another with a LAD Dodge by its side.

JOHN.

Here’s another one. An owner driver in the village I lived in had one of these in the 60s in LSM livery working out of LSM’s Crag Bank Quarry

One day back in 76 I was lounging around in the yard when a newly painted Commer Maxiload rolled in :exclamation: I went in to the traffic office straight away and asked
‘The Don’, that was Don Lucas the boss of Henry Johnsons at the time, if I could have that new painted Commer that’s just come in the yard ? :question: :question: :wink: Course you can coz no-one else wants it :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth:
I couldn’t believe it I was getting a truck that really sounded like a truck after driveing Dennis 16ton GVW flats for the last few months I was buzzin and couldn’t wait to take over my new steed :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :wink:
It was a great motor and pulled well and as long as you rememberd to keep the revs up and drop out of overdrive at 45mph it would just keep on pulling. It was a great truck but I gave it up for a move up onto Foden S80

I remember coming off the M62 at the Tingly roundabout, back when you used to come off and on again looking out for other driver’s trying to get home on a dodgy :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
This day I picked this fella up and lo-and-behold he was going into Manchester but what was really weird is that he had been the driver of this motor YCR 861J before it was sold by Borden Chemicals :open_mouth: :open_mouth: What a coincidence is that :laughing: :laughing: :wink: Anyway it was a great truck and would love to have a go in one now :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
Regards
Dave Penn:

truckfing:
Here’s another one. An owner driver in the village I lived in had one of these in the 60s in LSM livery working out of LSM’s Crag Bank Quarry

Hiya …that ERF cab looks intresting pitty we can,t see more of it .
John

Hi John, I think from memory it could have been an ex Bowker, it was taken at Kev Dennis’s sale around 1996 and I will have taken a picture of it because I photographed everything that was in the sale and parked outside. I will try and find it.
David

There was a Bowker ERF at Kev Dennis, but it’s not the one in the pic. The Bowker motor has a Jennings cab (shelf!) but this one is full depth.

bristolron:
My dad drove one many years ago for Rolls Royce, Filton.

What was your dads name? I knew a couple of drivers from Filton

Does anyone remember Birds of Northampton? Operated in Oxfordshire area early 70s when many road improvements were carried out. My Dad and 2 of his brothers drove Commers for them.

The TS3 engine, I was only a youngster and I was coming over the Brecon beacons one night when it started to de- coke itself. I thought the engine had exploded with the amount of glowing sparks coming out of the exhaust so I stopped, Risked starting again after a bit and everything was OK. Got back and told the gaffer what had happened and he tut tutted, “you should have kept it revving and let it clean itself out”. I didn’t know.
They were a decent engine though to say they were only about 3 litres.

Hiya… Tilling Steven made a TS4 I think the only one around is in Ireland someone will know where it is
John

When I was a boy we used to use a cattle haulier from Frampton Cotterell called A.F.Cook, he was known as sonny. He ran several commers, the oldest I recall was a TS3, then in 1966 it went & was replaced by two Commers, one was a Maxiload the other was the lighter version without the 2 stroke engine & was never looked upon the same as the 2 stroke one. I think the reg was FHT 332D. Both had local body builders, Drews bodies on them & the Maxiload had a Triple deck body on.

I can remember being in the Maxiload at night & seeing it decoke itself out of the underbumper exhaust & I also remember the noise as the revs picked up on a downchange to go down a steep hill loaded with barren cows destined for Gordon Road in Bristol out of Chippenham market.

In 1968, the TS3 was retired as it was replaced by a new Ergomatic cabbed AEC & what a lovely motor that was.

Interesting thread & good old days.

BB