Closest call you can remember

switchlogic:
‘And coming up shortly on BBC3- Carryfasts Road Wars’

I think I mentioned meeting a truck overtaking another truck and a coach overtaking them both on bend on a single carriageway road in the old Yugoslavia.
I couldn’t believe how wide the narrow strip of verge left could be and how narrow I could make a big BMW saloon. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Closest call I remember was when I was a kid and riding passenger in the Foden my father drove for Thermalite in Reading, this would be late 1950’s. We were coming back from the Oxford area and passing RAF Benson when something dropped out of the nearside rear passenger seat of the oldish Jaguar we were following and was rolling over and over in the road. It went clean underneath the Foden, the Jag stopped so we stopped behind it. The object was a young girl wrapped in a coat, she had been leaning against the door sleeping when the door had come open. She was covered in blood from the road surface and badly shaken of course but alive and I guess she recovered OK? Dad heard no more about it, she was one lucky young lady.

I suppose the closest call I had while actually driving was when some kids in Buxton threw a large stone at me while in the Sed Ak 400 I drove for Tilcon. It smashed the offside mirror, luckily the window was down and the stone landed on the engine cover. It shook me up though!

Pete.