Clocking the speed of other road users

toonsy:

Sploom:
Simon,my boss told me I have to hold it at 56mph and I have an accident at 58mph,I would be looking at going to jail.He told me the truck is only dedigned to do 56 and exceeding this means driving the vehicle beyond its limitations.
I dont know what to make of it

He’s right to a point. But so is Simon. I mean its not like the doors and wheels will fall off at 92kph but by the same token the 90k limit is to do with design and construction and type approval certification for the vehicle

I beg to differ, in other parts of the world the same trucks are sold by the manufacturer with higher, or no limiter.
In Australia the limiter is set for 100kph +/- 2kph.

toonsy:

Sploom:
Simon,my boss told me I have to hold it at 56mph and I have an accident at 58mph,I would be looking at going to jail.He told me the truck is only dedigned to do 56 and exceeding this means driving the vehicle beyond its limitations.

He’s right to a point. But so is Simon. I mean its not like the doors and wheels will fall off at 92kph but by the same token the 90k limit is to do with design and construction and type approval certification for the vehicle

Ah, yes, but. The 90kmh Construction and Use reg’s etc are to do with The Limiter. The limiter cannot be set for a powered speed of more than 90kmh. I’m paraphrasing here, I don’t know the actual wording.) They don’t build trucks for individual countries. They build trucks for the general type of use in an area. The EU and GB could be ‘an area’, all the trucks for an area will be built to the same spec. Australia and New Zealand could be another area, trucks built to withstand the strains of hauling roadtrains. Another area could be the Indian subcontinent, built to withstand the strains of climbing through the Himalayas on those dirt track roads. With me so far?

Did you know that in Holland, on domestic work so not crossing borders, they load to 10 tonnes per axle? So your tri axle Schmidt trailer, on your three axle Merc (or whatever brands they are) could easily be trundling around at a gross of 60 tonnes? Those Ginaf tippers with 5 driven axles, used for hauling sand mainly, run at 50 tonnes. But they still don’t build trucks for individual countries. That three axle Merc running at 60 tonnes in Holland is exactly the same as a Merc limited to 44 tonnes in the UK, and the same for the Schmidt trailer. 44 tonnes is UK Construction and Use regs, but the ‘EU area design’ takes Hollands 10T per axle into consideration also, and the French and German heavier XLGVs. That chucks ‘driving the vehicle beyond its limitations’ straight out the window.

Star down under.:

stu675:

Sploom:
Simon,my boss told me I have to hold it at 56mph and I have an accident at 58mph,I would be looking at going to jail.

Depends how many kittens you killed while doing so.

And you’ve got how much truck driving experience?

■■■■ off

Simon:

Sploom:

He’s making it up, or he’s a complete idiot. It has to be one or the other.
Saying that, it’s possibly both.

Do you really think that trucks are built with such small safety margins, that driving 2 mph faster will exceed its limitations?
Having an accident at 58 mph will not mean jail because of that extra 2 mph either. You might go to jail, very unlikely, but you might. 2 mph will not be the reason for it though.

However, he is your boss, it’s his truck. If he considers an overspeed to be an infringement, his rules, his prerogative. So don’t get overspeed warnings.

In the 90s I used to drive a night trunk, from Glasgow South. This meant going down what was known as ‘the ski jump’. The A74, from Beattock down to the Coatsgate, on the old dual carriageway. It went under the old archway railway bridge, now replaced by a straight steel span. You can see it from the motorway, the old road is still there but they’ve dug up one of the carriageways, although the bridges are still dual’ width. It was quite normal to go down there at 70mph+, 2 abreast, and have a Paddy come howling down behind you going even faster. Fully freighted trucks, granted only at 38 tonnes (well we were anyway), but on 5 axles not 6. They were built with higher safety margins than modern trucks■■?

Be very careful, giving the correct answer will have Star Down Under questioning your ability to answer the question.

stu675:

Star down under.:

stu675:

Sploom:
Simon,my boss told me I have to hold it at 56mph and I have an accident at 58mph,I would be looking at going to jail.

Depends how many kittens you killed while doing so.

And you’ve got how much truck driving experience?

[zb] off

I’m sure you meant to write ■■■■ all. :laughing:

Suedehead:
How embarrassing is that :smiley:

Not at all, he was actually kinda slow.

guinnessworldrecords.com/ne … mph-541481

Earlier this year I was driving a Merc on a dual carriageway when a Mercedes AMG hatchback passed in lane 2 doing exactly 110 miles per hour been followed about 200 to 300 yards behind by a Golf R doing exactly 105 miles per hour.

I remember thinking, ‘’ it’s going to be a long time before somebody beats that speed ‘’, 3 days later, what I believe was an Audi S3 saloon passes me at 117 miles per hour, he must have been pushing a right wall of air in front of his car as my lorry wobbled from side to side before I even knew he was there, it happened like this but very quickly :- wobble, wobble, wobble…vroooooooommmmmmmmmmm.

He was completely out of sight in about 20 seconds on a completely straight stretch of motorway.

I have had police cars pass me slower than that blue lighting it somewhere.

When I lived in the UK I used to have a BMW 550i Touring…Looked like a normal 5 series repmobile.

It was limited to 155MPH, you could have that limitation removed and allegedly it would do 175MPH and I believe the fuel consumption at that speed according to the computer was 4mpg…

Yes ,Ive seen some cars on the M40 high wycombe area,it seems to be a free for all there.They myst be doing 150 mph,some of them.But the ultimate in stupidity,I seen a mercredes car doing 120mph through the pouring rainswept motorway,absolute madness

Well-Jell:
it happened like this but very quickly :- wobble, wobble, wobble…vroooooooommmmmmmmmmm.

That’s one of my biggest fears that, to be wobble wobble vroomed doesn’t bear thinking about.

Didn’t clock it but on m6 yesterday near Coventry a black Audi without number plates came up the hard shoulder like a rocket. Guessing it was a ton up, then cut a diagonal straight to right hand lane before disappearing. Half expected it to be followed by police cars or crashed but sadly neither.

Was one of the most surprising things I’ve seen for a while