Classic Trucks of India

Chris Webb:

altitude:
Look at the old parrot nosed (King of the Road ) that was a load of junk when it was new!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Talk about seen better days.That Ashok Leyland doesn’t look too bad though.

DING DING next stop Bratford :laughing: . How would you like to tek this Chris on on a Sunday morning breakfast drive to one of those country pubs an The Pennines with all the lads :smiley: ,
Spardo used to drive buses from the U.K. to India back in the early seventies but I don’t think that this was one of his :laughing: .

Regards Steve.

EEYE UP, it’s another eyland.

A couple of pics I took when in India a few years ago.I have a few more somewhere,I’ll try and dig them out.

Do you think anyone has bought a new truck in the last 30 years?

Stupot:
Do you think anyone has bought a new truck in the last 30 years?

Well strangely enough,there are a very few trucks about now that are less than 5 years old,Heres some of them,although not to the same spec as the euro trucks today. :laughing:
The modern car transporter :laughing:

These 6 wheelers are only just being delivered now in India,with the lift axles :sunglasses: :laughing:

Taken in Mumbai docks last month.

mushroomman:
Taken in Mumbai docks last month.

Thanks for them Pics mushroon,I think a lot of the Volvos are state run,but just different colors.
Not this one though

They look a lot better Dave, but if there’s not much in the way of checks on them, wont be to long before there as bad if not worse than the old one’s.

cheers

John.

Heres some old and bit more modern stuff.

altitude:
They look a lot better Dave, but if there’s not much in the way of checks on them, wont be to long before there as bad if not worse than the old one’s.

cheers

John.

Hi John,well yes ,that is gona be a problem again in the future,your right there,the only way you cant get away with things
is probably if you kill some one on the road,and theres witnesses ,Even with the modern cars there today i think only 10%
know how to drive them,and the same for driving licences,you just buy them,no tests as we know it. :laughing:

Cant watch the telly this morning with all the election news so I have sorted out some photos from the month I spent in India.Its a pity some of the smells dont come with the photos.
Ashok Leyand Ford Cargo. The only one I saw.

Unkown Make

You need good luck with the water supply over there.Nearly every truck has horn please on the back. I think this is because they only have one or no mirrors so if you pass without blowing your horn and you get mangled its your own fault.

Delhi school bus.They get eight small kids in here through the door in the rear with the schoolbags on the roof. A nine stone Indian then blows a gasket turning the pedals round.

You would not be happy if you were told you looked like the back of this bus in Calcutta.

A blown out tyre is easliy repaired by bolting another bit of tyre inside it.
Indian rope trick. These drums were only held on with rope and some had already been taken off.

One cow power lawn mower. Two operators, one to poke the cow the other to steer the mower. The cow fertilizes the grass along the way and eats the cuttings at the end.

43years on tankers what is a rope.

Hiya MOC…It looks like you just cost me lots of money.I always said i’d go back and now i’ll have to. India is the most fabulious place.
theres so much going on all the time…Can i say what MOC has’nt mentioned it dosen’t take years to get this many photos(I know he has
collected these over many years)but this sort of running old motors with bits hanging off and over loaded happens all the time you just
don’t know what to look at first. and then you get used to everyday surprises…I was on this tour bus and the driver was turning the
steering wheel from lock to lock to keep the bus in a straight line (only 30 kph) when we stopped at night (i got of last)I said to the driver
have we got a problem (no mister John he replied)so i looked under the bus and both front main leaf springs was broken and the axel was
floating backwards and forwards… well we was on a two day stop over on a tiger safari so it gave the driver some time…after a night drive
and one early morning drive we got back to the lodge for breakfast (10 am)Dollaram (the driver)said mr John look and there was Two
new main leaves in the springs…Over night they had striped the front end down(no power tools) and the local blacksmith (in the middle of
nowhere)had made and tempered the springs so the following morning we was away like new… brillant.
John

:laughing: :laughing: Hi John,Oh no,sorry mate :laughing: sure it will bring more good memories flooding back,when you go :sunglasses: and yes your dead right the pics were taken over some years,but can easily be taken over just one visit,depending on where you go,its not just the pics but the smells, the people, the way of life and history just about most things that you remember while there :laughing: While out there i do a bit of renovation of old classic VW splitscreen buses ,The guys i know are so versatile with anything mechanical,that they can either make or copy just about anything,seeing as most bits are not possible to find.amazing skills and just so friendly.Hope you get your trip and remember not to go in the Monsoons :sunglasses:

Numbum:
Cant watch the telly this morning with all the election news so I have sorted out some photos from the month I spent in India.Its a pity some of the smells dont come with the photos.
Unkown Make

43years on tankers what is a rope.

Thanks for them great pics Numbum I just love this truck,probably still going strong today :laughing: As far as the smells go
when we go back each october i Know were home once were on the road and the smells just come to life :sunglasses:

Hello Folks. I’ve got an idea that the yellow lorry could have started out in life as a Ford.I think they originated in America and were involved in the 2nd.World War.There were quite a few Ex US Dodges around at the time in England just after the war so I think the Fords came over with them.Just an idea and it might help.Regards,900x20.

900X20:
Hello Folks. I’ve got an idea that the yellow lorry could have started out in life as a Ford.I think they originated in America and were involved in the 2nd.World War.There were quite a few Ex US Dodges around at the time in England just after the war so I think the Fords came over with them.Just an idea and it might help.Regards,900x20.

Think your right there,theres still a few working and showing :laughing:
Heres another

Few more odds and sods

MOC:
Few more odds and sods

Hiya MOC…top notch again MOC…This looks like a Ford cargo on steriods. whats the saying made in india
John

I’ve done a few loads for groupage companies in Italy where you drove out the yard on a friday night looking like that!! :laughing:

Great pics, unbelieveable some of them!

Regards,

Mark.

Hiya… it looks like the chap in the white car dos’nt have tunnel vision he has round the bend vision.MOC will tell you they blow there
horn and overtake and hope it is clear
John

3300John:
Hiya… it looks like the chap in the white car dos’nt have tunnel vision he has round the bend vision.MOC will tell you they blow there
horn and overtake and hope it is clear
John

Right on there John,they have no fear of death whatsoever,But just take a look at some of these mishaps as they call them.
and these are the tame pics,but does nothing to deter them from driving like maniacs :unamused: