class 1 reversing

3 nights out in the artic this week and the 1st and second night put the trailer on the bay in one last night as soon as I saw the trailer moving I realised The angle was wrong but as there was space straightened the trailer up backed as close to the bay as I could took a big shunt and still could not get it right . One more shunt and it was on the bay .

Out of curiosity at what point do you know when to straighten up?

If it’s a really tight space with just a few inches either side, you’ve had to put lock on to get it going in the right direction. Now if back of trailer is now lined up to the exact width of gap but steering wheel is not back to “twelve o’clock position” {not sure of correct term} are you going to hit one of the trailers?
Should you have made sure by this point that front wheels are straight?

If so, is it really a lot of guess work (and experience) to know when to steer?

I also wonder how easy it is to get confused when steering. Do you often have to remind yourself to steer other way and sit there for a few seconds a bit confused as to what way to steer?

JS8576:

If it’s a really tight space with just a few inches either side, you’ve had to put lock on to get it going in the right direction. Now if back of trailer is now lined up to the exact width of gap but steering wheel is not back to “twelve o’clock position” {not sure of correct term} are you going to hit one of the trailers?

I also wonder how easy it is to get confused when steering. Do you often have to remind yourself to steer other way and sit there for a few seconds a bit confused as to what way to steer?

It’s not about getting your wheels straight, to go back straight, you need to have the unit in line with the trailer. It all comes with practice, I promise, sorry to sound like a broken record, but it’s far easier to hang your head out of the window and focus on your trailer wheels, you will see how the trailer is reacting, and can make any fine adjustments accordingly, there is never any need to look at the steering wheel, if you want to see the direction of your front wheels, just look down for a second. You are not going to become a seasoned pro overnight.

PaulNowak:

JS8576:

It’s not about getting your wheels straight, to go back straight, you need to have the unit in line with the trailer. It all comes with practice, I promise, sorry to sound like a broken record, but it’s far easier to hang your head out of the window and focus on your trailer wheels, you will see how the trailer is reacting, and can make any fine adjustments accordingly, there is never any need to look at the steering wheel, if you want to see the direction of your front wheels, just look down for a second. You are not going to become a seasoned pro overnight.

You couldn’t find your arse end with a flash light or a homing beacon mate!!!

Evening pal! :grimacing:

I can’t comment as for the nest few weeks, I’m still a VAN driver… :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

PaulNowak:

JS8576:

You couldn’t find your arse end with a flash light or a homing beacon mate!!!

Evening pal! :grimacing:

I can’t comment as for the nest few weeks, I’m still a VAN driver… :smiley:

About time you knew your place

Towing a caravan? :open_mouth:

Got to sell your pegs from somewhere

But if the unit is in line with the trailer surely the unit wheels are straight?

JS8576:

I also wonder how easy it is to get confused when steering. Do you often have to remind yourself to steer other way and sit there for a few seconds a bit confused as to what way to steer?[/quote

If its really tight you should have the trailer and unit straight before you go into the space. Its all about the initial positioning and setting yourself up correctly with the space there is available, when you start off have a bend in it so the trailer will come round easier, I never start with it all inline unless i’m going straight back, how much bend will depend on how much room you have to play with and how quick you need the trailer round. As has been said before its far easier to hang out the window to see than to use the mirrors as you can see what’s happening better. If it really tight and you aint got the unit in line with the trailer and its starting to come round too far just pull forward slowly a few feet to get it straight. As long as the space you’re trying to get into is wider than the trailer there’s no need to look in the n/s mirror its all done through looking out the o/s window and watching the middle axle wheels (triaxle) and rear of the trailer.

The more you do it the easier it becomes until one day it just clicks and you don’t even think about what you’re doing. Everyone of us has went through it, that’s why it I cant stand other experienced drivers taking the p**s when a new guy is trying to reverse :angry:

As for getting confused what way to steer. i’ve never had a problem with a trailer on but I have on occasion turned the wheel the wrong way in a solo unit before quickly realizing I aint got a trailer on :blush: :laughing:

PaulNowak:

JS8576:

I will ask again the part I have high lighted what happens if you can’t hang head out of window :question: :question: :question:

Do you have a medical issue that prevents you from doing so?

eagerbeaver:
Do you have a medical issue that prevents you from doing so?

The fact is I am 147 cm does not help

animal:
I will ask again the part I have high lighted what happens if you can’t hang head out of window :question: :question: :question:

I am confused by that question - what circumstances exist that would prevent you from sticking your head out of the window? Is your enquiry relating to a blind side reverse when sticking your head out of the window is not going to help?

MickyB666:

animal:

I am confused by that question - what circumstances exist that would prevent you from sticking your head out of the window? Is your enquiry relating to a blind side reverse when sticking your head out of the window is not going to help?

What is confusing about the question I can not put my head out of window when reversing tell me what part of this do you not understand

animal:

MickyB666:
What is confusing about the question I can not put my head out of window when reversing tell me what part of this do you not understand

Are you annoyed I did not understand? :laughing:

MickyB666:

animal:

MickyB666:

Are you annoyed I did not understand? :laughing:

Nope life too short :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: just asking as you did say you were confused simple question what happens if you can’t turn & put head out of window when reversing

I know what I do but what would you do :question: :question: as I can’t due to being 147 cm tall ( now get tape measure out :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: that should be in work bag :unamused: )

If you’re reversing a trailer with three axles, line up the middle axle with the bay, not the axle nearest the bay…

Not too much lock…

And go … SLOWLY… :laughing:

If you get confused with which way to steer a trick I was taught was to think about which way the BOTTOM of the steering wheel is going - that will tell you which way the trailer is going to go.

For example, as you reverse if you steer to the right the bottom of the wheel is going to the left, so your trailer will go to the left.

I still use this today even though I’ve pretty much got the hang of basic reversing. I still don’t like complicated stuff like tight yards, sharp blindsides in restricted spaces etc, but that just needs more time.

The best advice ive taken that helps me the most…

1. make sure that unit and trailer are straight before starting the reverse

might sound obvious but its so easy not to do it and end up struggling

1. nice and slowly back, dont rush

again you dont really think when youre new about speed, i was going too quick and didnt realise it

1. be gentle wih that steering and dont oversteer

again i was guilty of this but now barely put any lock on unless its absolutely required

My problem is still getting my position right. When i see two trailers im going in between when do i turn to set up the reverse. Im still doing it when the gap appears in my window but that still seems to leave me a bit of work at times.