Claiming nights out

Turns out you can’t be paid it at base, even if you have to pay for meals as you are not at home.

hmrc.gov.uk/MANUALS/echmanual/ECH13100.htm

Each time a night out allowance is paid the employer should have documentary evidence to show the employee had spent the night away from home, and the permanent workplace

hmrc.gov.uk/MANUALS/echmanual/ECH13110.htm

The case worker should check

• the information shown on the tachograph disc to other records, such as job sheets and job diaries (the dates and places of overnight stops should correspond to the tachograph disc)
  • that the number of nights the driver stayed away according to the tachograph discs agrees with the number of overnight subsistence payments made

If the company are subject to a tax inspection it could lead to driver’s facing a tax bill for night out money paid when at home or base.
hmrc.gov.uk/MANUALS/echmanual/ECH13105.htm

Tachographs will need to be viewed to substantiate night out allowances.

In the event that the employer is

• unwilling or unable to provide other records, and
  • reiterates or refuses to provide the tachograph records

you should advise that in the absence of evidence that employees qualify for tax free allowances

• all such payments should be taxed in full in future, and
  • recovery will be sought on all such previous payments made.

There is still no minimum distance before you can be paid the allowance tax free. If you stop just a short distance away from base and can provide receipts as evidence of expenses incurred then you should be entitled to night out money.

i have claimed nite out money whilst being parked legally outside my home…the reason for this is my other half wont make my tea and i had to buy a take away.also we argued and i slept on the sofa so i wasn’t in my own bed. :unamused:

Coffeeholic:
. . . . and can provide receipts as evidence of expenses incurred

That’s the bit I don’t like.

If I park in a layby, middle of nowhere, I won’t be able to spend money and therefore have receipts to show as evidence. Would the receipt for the ‘emergency Pot Noodle’ that I bought weeks before count as evidence? Would/should I only be then paid £1 (or whatever those Pot Yuks cost) for my night out ‘allowance/expenses’■■ :open_mouth:

marcustandy:

Coffeeholic:
. . . . and can provide receipts as evidence of expenses incurred

That’s the bit I don’t like.

If I park in a layby, middle of nowhere, I won’t be able to spend money and therefore have receipts to show as evidence. Would the receipt for the ‘emergency Pot Noodle’ that I bought weeks before count as evidence? Would/should I only be then paid £1 (or whatever those Pot Yuks cost) for my night out ‘allowance/expenses’■■ :open_mouth:

The mention of “receipts” is in reference to monies paid over and above the tax free allowance, or as supporting evidence to show that a “night out” had taken place.