Cheshire Hauliers

Hiya …how about Masons garage at bosley…Frank Carlisle…Carlisle bros…Coopers from north rode/Bollington and now Northwich…going back further Lewis sand
from Cuddington…Bollshaws from Rainow… hurst sand and Tudor rose sand from Congleton…Terry bostock from goostrey …Massey cattle food Holmes Chapel
Allmans from Sweetenham…Firman Coates…Sheerans of Middlewitch…R O Jones Sandbach…prings wire of Elworth…C R S from Sandbach run some Scania 110s in the late 60s…Eddie Timmins from Elworth he had a 8 legger foden s40 with a 8lxb for recovery
John

MY DAD DROVE FOR FRED LATHAM ON A CASUAL BASIS,HIS TRUCKS WERE WELL PAST THERE BEST BUT HE SEEMED TO MAKE LIVING,IPC WAS REGULAR WORK ,HE HAD ERF’S PULLING FLAT’S BUT ALSO HAD A BRICK TRAILER,HIS YARD WAS TINY AND A RUM PLACE TO BACK IN,HE FINISHED YEARS AGO.

GAZ70:
MY DAD DROVE FOR FRED LATHAM ON A CASUAL BASIS,HIS TRUCKS WERE WELL PAST THERE BEST BUT HE SEEMED TO MAKE LIVING,IPC WAS REGULAR WORK ,HE HAD ERF’S PULLING FLAT’S BUT ALSO HAD A BRICK TRAILER,HIS YARD WAS TINY AND A RUM PLACE TO BACK IN,HE FINISHED YEARS AGO.

what was the lads name who was on the brick job regular ? i worked for roger bettley on the brick job . long time ago now

3300John:
Hiya …how about Masons garage at bosley…Frank Carlisle…Carlisle bros…Coopers from north rode/Bollington and now Northwich…going back further Lewis sand
from Cuddington…Bollshaws from Rainow… hurst sand and Tudor rose sand from Congleton…Terry bostock from goostrey …Massey cattle food Holmes Chapel
Allmans from Sweetenham…Firman Coates…Sheerans of Middlewitch…R O Jones Sandbach…prings wire of Elworth…C R S from Sandbach run some Scania 110s in the late 60s…Eddie Timmins from Elworth he had a 8 legger foden s40 with a 8lxb for recovery
John

John,with your Cheshire knowledge,can you recall a small haulier named Gleave? from Weaverham?,yard near St Mary’s church?

Take it easy,

David :smiley:

5thwheel:

3300John:
John

John,with your Cheshire knowledge,can you recall a small haulier named Gleave? from Weaverham?,yard near St Mary’s church?

Take it easy,
Sorry Dave…i can,t remember them at the moment can you give us i little to go on…
I forgot Hakney,s in sandbach always very clean. bill gibsons son drove a erf after leaving erf trucks
Sidac that was another middlewich outfit…one man bands Sam edgerton from Goostrey he,s the older brother of the recovery outfit Edgerton.
Paces of Arclid mostly recovery…Bells from macclesfield they had ERF flats in the 60s/70s …Oaks millars congleton
cheer,s john

flying foden ,not shure who was on the brick trailer but my brother worked at roger bettleys for a few years on bricks his name is kev illidge,also chris lancley,shaun taylor,my other brother steve illidge as well,then most of them went on the tanks at hay’s chemicals as it was then,any way pal all the best gaz.

Hiya …flying Foden did you say you worked at Ensor blocks at wheelock■■? did you ever find a photo of them weid trailers they had
with the steering bogie
John

3300John:

5thwheel:

3300John:
John

Take it easy,
Sorry Dave…i can,t remember them at the moment can you give us i little to go on…
I forgot Hakney,s in sandbach always very clean. bill gibsons son drove a erf after leaving erf trucks
Sidac that was another middlewich outfit…one man bands Sam edgerton from Goostrey he,s the older brother of the recovery outfit Edgerton.
Paces of Arclid mostly recovery…Bells from macclesfield they had ERF flats in the 60s/70s …Oaks millars congleton
cheer,s john

Hi John - I knew Sam Egerton very well - used to give him his daily work from BIS’s Quarry at Chelford.
He had a 16 tonner Leyland that was blue cabbed and red chassis IIRC.

He was a lovely man to work with.

Also there was another subbie named Don Broadhurst. When I left BIS he had a red ERF rigid which he ran.

Hi GAZ70 I remember Kev & Steve Illidge + Shaun Taylor from my days at Hays Sandbach in the traffic office,in fact still see Steve now and again when he delivers fuel to our place for nynas.I worked with Roger at Direct North West when we bought the business from County Freight, myself roger & rob etchells.Not seen your kev since about 2006 when he used to pop in at elworth to see us.
John

3300John:
Hiya …flying Foden did you say you worked at Ensor blocks at wheelock■■? did you ever find a photo of them weid trailers they had
with the steering bogie
John

yes i have Mr Holland got one of my dad loading his when it was brand new in the yard at sandbach :slight_smile:

GAZ70:
flying foden ,not shure who was on the brick trailer but my brother worked at roger bettleys for a few years on bricks his name is kev illidge,also chris lancley,shaun taylor,my other brother steve illidge as well,then most of them went on the tanks at hay’s chemicals as it was then,any way pal all the best gaz.

i worked there with your brother and whopper (chris lancley). chris i could take or leave but kev was a cracking lad .
pass on my regards to him please.regards jeff

I am not sure when they changed the county boundries around, was it in the early 70’s when Birkenhead was in Cheshire ( or is it still there ). Norseman Freight, Falcongate, not sure about Eric Lucas but Diesel Dave will know. Leggits had a big depot in Bredbury, was it Fieldings in Woodford ? and was there a Parks in Macclesfield :confused:. Also was there a Twiebell from around Holmes Chapel area and who was from Chelford was it James Irlam :confused: . Bowies were from Altrincham and The Coop had a few lorries running out of the tea warehouse in Crewe, I remember their drivers used to park up near Leith Docks.
Can anybody remember seeing Roy Trevor Removals from Warrington in the early seventies who did a lot of Fibreglass out of St Helens.

mushroomman:
I am not sure when they changed the county boundries around, was it in the early 70’s when Birkenhead was in Cheshire ( or is it still there ). Norseman Freight, Falcongate, not sure about Eric Lucas but Diesel Dave will know. Leggits had a big depot in Bredbury, was it Fieldings in Woodford ? and was there a Parks in Macclesfield :confused:. Also was there a Twiebell from around Holmes Chapel area and who was from Chelford was it James Irlam :confused: .

Spot on Mushroomman,10 out of 10!!

Rgds,

David :laughing:

Hi Gaz

If your Dad worked for Fred Lathom out of IPC I probably knew him. Until a couple of years ago Fred’s ERF with brick crane trailer was gently rotting away in his yard. Gone when I passed this year. (Freds son Billy used to drive for him, ex Crewe PC) His motors were usualy past their best, I remember a couple of old A series ERFs, a dilapidated F86 and an even tattier steel cabbed Foden S40. all hand painted dark blue. The IPC work was easy on the tackle, out bound at least and paid well, so you could get away with older motors.

I have found a photo of my ERF B series with 240 Gardner along with Joe Owens 180 engined motor driven by Tony ■■?, taken at Kingiussie in the Scottish highlands about 1980 on route to Ullapool, loaded with packaging ex IPC for the Russian factory ships, proessing locally caught macarel from all round the British coast. From Ullapool we used to piggy back the motors back to Cheshire as the local rates for return loads ex Inverness (Highland Haulage etc) were so poor it was more cost effective to run back empty double manned and load out of the Winsford mill again.

Bob

Blind Bob:
Hi Gaz

If your Dad worked for Fred Lathom out of IPC I probably knew him. Until a couple of years ago Fred’s ERF with brick crane trailer was gently rotting away in his yard. Gone when I passed this year. (Freds son Billy used to drive for him, ex Crewe PC) His motors were usualy past their best, I remember a couple of old A series ERFs, a dilapidated F86 and an even tattier steel cabbed Foden S40. all hand painted dark blue. The IPC work was easy on the tackle, out bound at least and paid well, so you could get away with older motors.

I have found a photo of my ERF B series with 240 Gardner along with Joe Owens 180 engined motor driven by Tony ■■?, taken at Kingiussie in the Scottish highlands about 1980 on route to Ullapool, loaded with packaging ex IPC for the Russian factory ships, proessing locally caught macarel from all round the British coast. From Ullapool we used to piggy back the motors back to Cheshire as the local rates for return loads ex Inverness (Highland Haulage etc) were so poor it was more cost effective to run back empty double manned and load out of the Winsford mill again.

Bob

Blind Bob. has that Dawsons ERF got Blue interior?? and it was used by Dales to pull a steam engine If so a chap had it in a barn in wales about 4 years ago
i reconised it because a chap IICR called pete drove for Dawsons and stopped on Toddington with me quite offten and drove it somtimes. He had light hair
and rolled his ■■■■, his tin ■■■ box had all matchsticks stuck onto it. i was driving for S Cooper at the time on a 4 wheeler Daf
John

Hi John

The 240 ERF I drove for Dawsons had the earlier beige interior, but I guess it might have been changed. LFA 583P still shows on the DVLA records but not taxed since about 1990, so its about somewhere. The Peter you mention is Peter Walker, he generally drove a similar motor, with a RR 265 (later uprated to 290) and that one had the blue interior. It was written off by a casual driver in a slow speed rollover at J17 at Sandbach loaded with faced chipboard from Caber Board at Cowie (very slippy stuff). Erics son Gary drove boththese motors first and later got one of the 1st B series with the big cam 290 ■■■■■■■ in which had the proper works sleeper and pulled like a train.

Toddington was a favorite stop over in those days, as it gave you a good start in the morning on the right side of London to get a flyer, tip and back to base to re-load for a local run in the afternoon.

Regards

Bob

mushroomman:
I am not sure when they changed the county boundries around, was it in the early 70’s when Birkenhead was in Cheshire ( or is it still there ). Norseman Freight, Falcongate, not sure about Eric Lucas but Diesel Dave will know. Leggits had a big depot in Bredbury, was it Fieldings in Woodford ? and was there a Parks in Macclesfield :confused:. Also was there a Twiebell from around Holmes Chapel area and who was from Chelford was it James Irlam :confused: . Bowies were from Altrincham and The Coop had a few lorries running out of the tea warehouse in Crewe, I remember their drivers used to park up near Leith Docks.
Can anybody remember seeing Roy Trevor Removals from Warrington in the early seventies who did a lot of Fibreglass out of St Helens.

Yes Mushroomman,still operating but with a reduced fleet,saw a box van 3 weeks ago on the M56

Rgds,

David :laughing:

Rambler Haulage is a firm that springs to mind what happend to them?

cons77:
Rambler Haulage is a firm that springs to mind what happend to them?

Hiya…I was quite friendly with Kevin at Rambler he sold out to Geoff Newsome the last time i saw Kevin was at the
tatton park classic car show he has a yellow granarda coupe with a black viynal roof he displays.
I think his son has a Taxi firm in the Northwich area.
John

Hiya… while reading the Jennings site it made me think of Hollands Cheese. They was just down the road from Boughey,s
at Wardle.Jennings built IICR 3 bodies on Bedford KM,s for them. The livery was a Red cab and body with black chassis and
white lettering.
John