Cheshire Hauliers

Bewick:

petecud:
Fantastic!! Chamberlains ERF 700 YMB in the picture above was my first long distance lorry in 1969, 2 trips south one week 3 the next.
Pete

Well come on Pete what was the spec ? Cheers Bewick.

Hi Dennis, it was a Gardner 100, with a David Brown,6 speed gearbox and an Eaton twin splitter axle.( it was over 40 years ago)
All of Gerry Chamberlains motors were very well looked after and serviced, and he was a stickler for neat roping and sheeting, I think the driver of it in the picture would be in for a severe ticking off for the way the fly sheet is arranged at the front of the load.
Pete

petecud:

Bewick:

petecud:
Fantastic!! Chamberlains ERF 700 YMB in the picture above was my first long distance lorry in 1969, 2 trips south one week 3 the next.
Pete

Hi Dennis, it was a Gardner 100, with a David Brown,6 speed gearbox and an Eaton twin splitter axle.( it was over 40 years ago)
All of Gerry Chamberlains motors were very well looked after and serviced, and he was a stickler for neat roping and sheeting, I think the driver of it in the picture would be in for a severe ticking off for the way the fly sheet is arranged at the front of the load.
Pete

Thanks for that Pete ! Did Chamberlains do the same kind of traffic as Plants ? Cheers Dennis.

Chamberlains always seemed to have their own work from Cheshire and south Lancs, and almost always to the south east of England, because wherever in the south east we tipped we would always reload at Reeds in Aylesford.
a lot of the work was from the time he and his wife started out in transport and did the driving themselves, he also had loyal customers, rather like yourself, who stuck with him through thick and thin.
We often saw Plants drivers on the road and occasionally in Reeds at Aylesford.
Unlike yourself, their company is still going, albeit in different premises, and is still owned by the Chamberlain family, now being run by Gerrry’s grandchildren
Pete

One with a Perkins, not a Cheshire Haulier I know but the lorry was made there!

Maybe I have missed a post on this subject but haven’t noticed anything on S Cooper & Sons , of Winsford , it always looks like a well run company with a smart fleet .

shugg:
Maybe I have missed a post on this subject but haven’t noticed anything on S Cooper & Sons , of Winsford , it always looks like a well run company with a smart fleet .

ch.JPG

pete smith:
One with a Perkins, not a Cheshire Haulier I know but the lorry was made there!

I always understood that ERF’s only fitted the Perkins 6:354 engine to their tapered chassis LV cabbed 4 wheelers when the C & U changes came about in the mid 60’s so they could get the maximum payload at 16 ton gvw ! Cheers Bewick. :astonished:

pete smith:

shugg:

If you want a 58 plate CF, they must be awesome. Nearly went to work for them many moons ago. But some bright spark decided to ring up up my TM at the time, before I’d even had an interview or assessment, to ask for a reference.

Most embarrassing. Needless to say, I let them know I wasn’t interested in working for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulNowak:

pete smith:

shugg:

If you want a 58 plate CF, they must be awesome. Nearly went to work for them many moons ago. But some bright spark decided to ring up up my TM at the time, before I’d even had an interview or assessment, to ask for a reference.

Most embarrassing. Needless to say, I let them know I wasn’t interested in working for them.

You missed a good job there , I drove for Coopers from 1978 till 1991 and if I hadn’t had a heart attack I’d have carried on till they carried me off. A brilliant firm to work for , managing director and traffic manager that you could actually talk to , well maintained vehicles and paid well. I didn’t know until I had my heart attack that the company had insured my HGV licence for me and I received £6000 compensation.

windrush:

pete smith:
Anyone remember this firm when they had a load of 6 x 2 F10’s :wink:

Aye, I remember them! They had a SLIGHT run in with the authorities. :wink:

Pete.

Stan the man… i was nearly one of his first drivers… i turned him down… many of my mates did drive for him…
he started with a mammoth major…(trailing axle) yuc. then 2 routemans… a marathon…later F7s. he had drivers who
just loved chasing around and didn’t understand the driving laws…say no more…

Bewick:

petecud:
Pete

Bewick three KV 4 wheelers had TS 3 twostrokes in them Millicans from Longtown had 1 of them

Seddonflatkk105:

PaulNowak:

pete smith:

shugg:

You missed a good job there , I drove for Coopers from 1978 till 1991 and if I hadn’t had a heart attack I’d have carried on till they carried me off. A brilliant firm to work for , managing director and traffic manager that you could actually talk to , well maintained vehicles and paid well. I didn’t know until I had my heart attack that the company had insured my HGV licence for me and I received £6000 compensation.

S coopers was a megga job untill the artics appeared… not the wagons at fault, at that time Metal box had moved factories and the loads didn’t fit like the earlier years… there was work to London… but the london Metal box factories had moved to Hull… that was the back loads stuffed. so drivers was in Stratford lift sitting twigging their thumbs for hours

Anyone remember or have photo,s of a company that had a depot in Warrington/Newton-Le-Willows, Sayers. To be exact they were behind A+B Datsun ( Nissan ) not the one under the viaduct but nearly opposite the entrance to Parkside Colliery also just after Red Bank School on your way into Newton ( A49 ) , my dad some work for them they must have had a depot in N.Ireland as it was up to Fleetwood or Stranaer . Could have been round mid 70,s I think

3300John:

Bewick:

petecud:
Pete

Bewick three KV 4 wheelers had TS 3 twostrokes in them Millicans from Longtown had 1 of them

They would be interesting motors ! I wonder what Gerald would have to say about that “spec” in an ERF ? Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

3300John:

Bewick:

petecud:
Pete

They would be interesting motors ! I wonder what Gerald would have to say about that “spec” in an ERF ? Cheers Dennis.

Thanks for that info John something I never knew or even thought that would ever occur!

Hiya all sad note Frank Carlisle of Crossley Farm North Rode passed away on the 11 th of March… Frank run trucks for many years… salt grain was a couple of loads he,d did…
Frank run Albions ERF,s Maggi Dutz over the years… he was 90 years…maybe some lads will not know about his passing… RIP Frank another haulier gone…
John.

Anyone remember R H Stevens driver Ian Morgan. He was with them for a couple of years I understand and the attached photos shows one of the lorries he drove to Swiss and other destinations.

As you may have guessed I met this guy Ian Morgan who worked for R H Stevens yonks ago. Although now turned eighty he’s still fit and on the road albeit driving a 3.5t motorhome. He’s regularly away from home for months on end tramping round Spain and Portugal. Good grounding being an ex lorry driver he said.

CZC00075-02.jpg

laineyf:
Hi
I wonder if anyone remembers Buckley Tankers of Warrington? My Dad, Eddy Jones, drove for them. He collapsed in his cab on Sunday June 16th 1974 and was taken to Warrington Hospital where he died later that day, aged 37. I’m the oldest of his 5 children, and he died the day after my 17th birthday. I remember one of the drivers was called Albert Bennett, who lived in Runcorn. We lived in Widnes? I think Buckley Tankers is no longer in business. Hope no one minds my posting, and I think this is a fab site. x

My grandad joe Illidge worked there

GAZ70:

laineyf:
Hi
I wonder if anyone remembers Buckley Tankers of Warrington? My Dad, Eddy Jones, drove for them. He collapsed in his cab on Sunday June 16th 1974 and was taken to Warrington Hospital where he died later that day, aged 37. I’m the oldest of his 5 children, and he died the day after my 17th birthday. I remember one of the drivers was called Albert Bennett, who lived in Runcorn. We lived in Widnes? I think Buckley Tankers is no longer in business. Hope no one minds my posting, and I think this is a fab site. x

My grandad joe Illidge worked there

Buckley’s was a big firm. Based in Howley, there were several other firms shared their big yard (I think Bishops Wharf, Irvings, Robsons and Bridgwater were all in there!) I’m sure they became part of TDG and the site is /was til very recently still operating. Last time I passed the demolition people were in there so I reckon more housing to follow.