Charles Alexander

chas alexander lorries featured in a docu film called the fishrun in the 50,s aberdeen to manchester one of the lorries was fitted with a new pump desinged by cav to test it under workin conditions.the colours back then were red n green.im sure theres picks on bedgars site on fotki

Hutchie:
was there another company ran in those colors as well or was it part of that company . im sure i seen almost identical motors on here but it wasn’t charles alexanders.

are you thinking of fergusons of blyth

curnock:

Hutchie:
was there another company ran in those colors as well or was it part of that company . im sure i seen almost identical motors on here but it wasn’t charles alexanders.

are you thinking of fergusons of blyth

The original Christian Salvesen was a similar livery too

Didn’t, “Inter-City” from the 70’s have a similar livery as well, I know they had a depot in Leigh, Lancashire but I’m sure they were actually a Scottish company?

Charles Alexander and Partners were a large concern at one time (late 60s) but i cant find any photos or info on the firm at all, can anyone help?

LB76:
Charles Alexander and Partners were a large concern at one time (late 60s) but i cant find any photos or info on the firm at all, can anyone help?

Sorry LB,I’ve no pics but I have seen some on here somewhere.I remember Charlie Alexander’s motors well.They were using Marathons in the 70s and 80s on the wet fish run to Billingsgate and one of the changeover places at night was at Londonderry on the A1.They didn’t hang about either,when I was on trunk they’d turn all their lights off as they got up to passing you and just put the cab light on and gave you a wave as they whizzed past,spraying your windscreen with fishy watter as they pulled back in. :slight_smile:

I’m sure somebody will come up with some photos,hope so as I’d like to see some myself.

Hi LB76 Charles Alexanders was part of TDG group and I think they would most likely have merged with Sutherlands or Patersons of Aberdeen.If you go to Brian Edgars site @fotki.com you will find lots of photo’s.They used to come into Millars of Abington at night to have repairs done and sometimes just for a blether.The water used to run out of back of the lorries and into a manhole where the water meter was.The smell was awful especially in the summer.It was fun to watch when the water board guy had to bail out the manhole to read the meter though.

There are a few here.

public.fotki.com/Scottishtruckph … lexander_/

There are a lot more of other companies on that site too.

My mate bought a DAF 3300 from auction and took it out to Istanbul the next day, a good reliable truck you may think, the Turks were amazed. They were not used to seeing British drivers in Day Cabs :smiley:

When he came back off that trip he cut the cab in half and welded a sleeper to it.

Thanks to everyone who replied some very good photos and anecdotes , thanks guys,
Does anyone know if Graham Edge is stil about , i lost touch with him when he moved back up to Bolton

av ya seen the fish run featuring chas alexanders motors in the 50,s running fish from aberdeen to manchester.you can get it on dvd from nynehead books

it was myself that asked for the photos

hiya,
can remember fearings of burnley buying a leyland comet that had belonged to charlies never drove it but wouldn’t it go, used to pass me like i was parked up it was said to have a leyland tiger coach diff in it but don’t know for sure this was in the 60s,what a memory eh.
thanks harry long retired.

Hutchie:

it was myself that asked for the photos

i can remember these quite well running into the fruit market or the abbitoir in leeds ( next door to each other ).

i love looking at these old photo’s as it brings back good memories.

Carl:
av ya seen the fish run featuring chas alexanders motors in the 50,s running fish from aberdeen to manchester.you can get it on dvd from nynehead books

got it indeed, but on vhs video unfotunately so maybe time to update.
not only do i remember the film but the pong as they flew past our yard nr cleland :frowning:
i can recommend the film. they boys were doing aberdeen to kendal for a days work pre motorway.

hiya,
was once told that charlies paid speeding fines for drivers when running fish,was this true?
thanks harry long retired.

i ve picture of leyland beaver (bonneted) being chased by a mallard train

going back to the early to mid 70’s,there was always a chas alexander wagon parked up on a weekend in walsall,am trying to picture the vehicle type but need a bit of time to remember. :bulb:

Thanks laybuy,
i would love a photo of that one any chance you can send me a copy?

if i can get my eldest to print it off no problem just have to hang on a mo