Changing to 4 on 4 off tramping from Mon-Fri tramping

I did a year of 4 on 4 off tramping before accident and I loved it. So much better work life balance

dozy:
mon- thurs every week , with fri / sat /sun off , I’d pick that every day over 4/4

mon-thurs, fri/sat/sun/mon off,tue-thu, fri/sat/sun off, mon-thu etc. 4 on 4 off 3 on 3 off :bulb: :wink:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
How many of you on here changed to 4 on 4 off and was it the best decision you made or do you actually regret it? Obviously there will be good and bad experiences out there.

I changed to 4 on 4 off nearly 7 years ago and would rather change career than go back to mon-fri driving. I actually feel sorry for mon-fri workers having just 2 days a week off. I couldn’t imagine living life like that. Life’s too short to spend at work. I work my holidays to give me quite a few weekends too. So only work about 15 weekends per year.

Rolling shifts are great providing your not with a Company that operates 24/7 364 days /nights a year. like newspapers.only night close down is Xmas Eve
If your not bothered about working W/E and Bank Holidays and if its nights Sat/Sun the extra days off are OK but if your Wife works a “normal” week she might not be too happy your not around and under her feet at w/ends
Believe me from experience Xmas night New Years Eve is a pain especially if you calculate that if you work either of those nights you will be off the next year, but forget its a leap year and it puts you back in again.

Horses for courses and all that…
I did 4 on 4 off, dayshift (no tramping) for about 5 years and loved it. 12 hour shifts and only rarely ran over that because the night shift came on shift and wanted the lorry to run down to Heathrow (I was with Saints at the Glasgow airport yard). But my circumstances suited it; too old to be bothered with spending my weekends in a pool of my own pish any more, and also of an age when mortgage is paid so no need to be working silly hours. When you work it out, 4 x 12 hour shifts on a 4 on/4 off pattern averages out at 42 hours per week; plenty for me. And as someone posted upthread, take 4 days holiday and you’re off for 12.

Only downside of doing 4 on 4 off is finding something to fill all the time you’re going to have not being at work, especially if you’re someone who has been tramping Mon-Fri spending more of your life at work than not.

dozy:
It’s no where near the best shift , I did mon- thurs every week , with fri / sat /sun off , I’d pick that every day over 4/4 ,but if op is happy good luck to him , but I personally don’t class any shift that includes w/ends as good . Weekends are for going out and getting ■■■■■■ up with mates , going to the football , not sat on your Todd in a bloody lorry
Though I’ve no doubt will have 99 % of trucknet telling me how the roads are quieter at the weekend & how they get a fabulous rate , theres no que at the till in Morrison’s etc on a Monday etc
Good luck Steve I really hope your happy with you’re new shift , I really do , but I’ll never accept anything that includes weekends is the best shift , never

All the lads have settled down with kids me likewise. I can still go to the footy, the Saturdays I’m not working there’s a few like August I don’t work any, September I work them all, October i work 1 out of 5 November I work 3 and December I have 3 off, plus the midweek games I’m not working I can go.

Conor:
Only downside of doing 4 on 4 off is finding something to fill all the time you’re going to have not being at work, especially if you’re someone who has been tramping Mon-Fri spending more of your life at work than not.

I’m going to start going back to the gym before I take my daughter to school which I’ve not done for 16 year. Going to take up boxing plus BJJ ( Brazilian Ju Jitsu) on an evening plus going to get a mountain bike through our company’s cycle to work scheme as I live near the Peak District and Trans Pennine Trail living in Barnsley so I’ll have plenty to keep me occupied. Plus the fact I’ve a 5 week old daughter who will take up quite a bit of my spare time :wink: :smiley:

Conor:

I’m the opposite. For me, the only downside to 4 on 4 off is having to work 4 days in every 8. It interrupts everything else I do when I’m off. I would gladly work 2 on 6 off if I could find it. :laughing:

ezydriver:

Conor:

I’m the opposite. For me, the only downside to 4 on 4 off is having to work 4 days in every 8. It interrupts everything else I do when I’m off. I would gladly work 2 on 6 off if I could find it. :laughing:

^^^^^ that… exactly that. :grimacing: :grimacing:

Oh sure it’s a career. Maybe even a tenure or an appointment? :laughing: