Cat. 'C' Training Blog

Good reply Pete and well put but I think the issues mostly come about if your forced to stop on a busy roundabout.

If you can do as you say and keep moving, flowing into the traffic great its onwards and upwards.

Stop, well it can a mare getting out again on a busy one without slowing someone down.

I was in Grimsby today( well someone has to ) and one of roundabouts was busy as heck. No idea where everyone came from! But I had to go for a decent gap but I know I caused another truck to slow a bit. Not drastic but he slowed. Thing is in a test I’d fail but it’s a fine balance to get job done or build a queue and half behind waiting for the ideal test gap!

I’m not saying barge into a roundabout causing mayhem but thats where what a test and real life scenarios diverse so much it’s no wonder roundabouts make people nervous on test as you’d never sit there like that in your car

Day 3.
And evening all Terry & Terry fans!

A murkier day up in the North-East today. Perfectly highlighting, if I understood the weather report correctly, the often discussed North-South divide. Just this time it was an almost straight line across at the Midlands that made the difference between another pleasant T-shirt day, and Terry having to lean over from the passenger-seat with extra verve this morning in order to set the heating on max-power.
Terry, you see, doesn’t like to be cold.

You’ll also be glad to hear that normal service was maintained on another front today.
Both Terry Senior (mine) and Terry Junior (the snack van version) are both in fine fettle with the former satiated as normal around zero nine thirty hours, and the other receiving his daily contribution to his daughter’s college fund at around the same time.
However, tomorrow is the day of judgement though.
That’s right, I’m taking no bait in - instead I’m going to sample wares from what I assume must be the finest Butty-van north of the Tyne.
So, both Terry’s – you best not let me down :exclamation:

Moving on to more important things for the consumption of this particular forum – overall today was another solid day. Driving potential test routes, flagging up any problematic spots on the way round and generally trying to refine my all round driving.
Ah yes, that for sure, but tell us more about your ‘pulling out’ problem, they yelled from the wings.
Yes yes, you are more than right.
That was definitely the main focus of the day.
So naturally the very best way I could think to start it was to, on our very first roundabout on the ‘warm-up’ drive to the test route areas, dive into a 50/50 tackle and let the referee make the decision.
And in this case yes, the referee was Terry – and no, he wasn’t best pleased :frowning:

By the way, that is the analogy I came to use by the end of the day. By pulling out when there can even be a discussion about whether it was the right thing to do, you are just putting things further out of your control. If you’re not sure, WAIT and then go when that gap comes your way.
As Terry pointed out, ‘I would rather see a couple of Minors for hesitation than a straight Major for making someone slow-down.’
The other method I came up with for ‘fixing’ this, was to have a ‘pulling-out’ pot (similar to a swear pot).
Every time I got one ‘wrong’, I put in 10p and every time I got one ‘right’, Terry put in the same.
After a brief pause and computation of the way things could work out for him, Terry declined my well thought-out proposal.

Turns out there was no real need for any complicated schemes to keep me on track.
As the day progressed, I was markedly more consistent in picking the time to go or to stay.
My ‘pulling-out’ technique, along with my observational abilities, developed shall we say in to a bit of a nicely-timed ‘rhythm’ :wink:
Although it has to be said there had a been a marked change since yesterday in the way in which the ball was bouncing for me. It only really occurred to me after Terry just started chuckling to himself mid-way through our session.
Naturally feeling somewhat complicit for finally making the poor soul crack-up under all the pressure, I asked what was wrong.
‘Oh nothing’ he said, ‘It’s just that you wouldn’t credit the difference between the two days in terms of traffic at roundabouts and junctions.’
It was then that I twigged that he had intentionally been directing me round a endless ring of normally busy and therefore tricky ‘intersections’ of some sort or other – hoping of course to catch me out and lay another teaching lesson on me.
Well, I guess we can just hope that I get the rub of the green come test day.
And from reading the forums over the last few months I think that tends to be a common theme.

The only other topic to report today was that I inadvertently sussed out the interaction between full park-brake and then getting underway using the clutch/accelerator.
Spattered throughout the last few days, I had set off, having used the parking brake, under what would appear to have been kangaroo juice.
Intermingled with this I had stalled on a couple of occasions.
I think that mixture of ‘events’ prompted Terry to explain to me how the parking brake actually works (in terms of it being different to a car handbrake in that it is either on or off) and what I seem to be doing is letting the clutch go before I have the park brake fully released.
Sure enough, he had spotted the issue and explained it such a way that I understood.
From that point onwards no more issues.

Almost time to wrap up today’s report, but on a final note I do have a bit of a weird thing going on that makes me wonder just how my ‘brain’ is wired.
As soon as I sat in the truck last Friday I mentioned to Terry that the indicator stalk is on the different side to my car. The obvious implication being that we might well have a very clean windscreen throughout my training, but be in no danger of wearing out the indicators.
Funny thing is, not once have I gone for the incorrect stalk in the truck – but every time I jump in the car to go home, or when I am driving in on a morning I am forever cleaning my windscreen at roundabouts and junctions :unamused:
Not that I am at all complaining in terms of when it comes to test day, but surely, shouldn’t that all be the opposite way round?

Final Day (4) tomorrow.

Take care all,

Jon

Sounds like you’re doing a great job mate! Keep it up!

Day 4:

And so with Judgement day fast approaching, I make my penultimate trip northwards this morning for my final day of training and test preparation.
Murky, overcast and chilly again – so once we’ve done our walk-around it’s straight on with the heater for Terry (he does have me well trained…) and off on the road to see what we can iron out today.

After the first hour of what appeared to be ‘normal’ route instructions, I started to get a little worried that we weren’t heading in our usual manner towards the Industrial Estate, housing Terry & Terry’s finest butty emporium.
■■■■, he’s not going to gyp me on our last day and not take us there is he? :open_mouth:
After a quick glance across to Terry puffing away on his ‘vape’ I reassured myself by reasoning that he surely didn’t achieve that figure by missing these kind of opportunities :wink:
Hmmm… there’s a rabbit off today, I figured. And I’m gonna find out what it is.

‘Terry?’.
‘Uh-huh?’
‘We’re not going up to the Industrial Estate for breakfast today then?’
‘Oh yeah, a bit later. But we’re meeting a lad at the Test centre so he can do his Module 4 with this truck first.’
‘Ah, OK. I thought we were missing out today.’

So, no problems, we meet up with the Mod. 4 lad, disappear into the Test centre, and leave him to it with the Examiner.
Once that’s sorted, we’re back off and breakfast-bound!

Turns out, Terry’s usual is a Cheeseburger of all things, washed down with, and I quote, ‘A decent cuppa tea.’ I suspect that was a direct reaction to the machine dispensed, so-called coffee Terry had sampled at the Test centre. His face whilst drinking it told a thousand stories – and not one of them ended well.
Well I opted for a standard Bacon and Egg in a Stottie with a brew, and shouted Terry his usual as he had been a gent over the last few days putting up with my attempts to confuse, annoy and perplex him as well as make him fear for his own safety – so I thought he deserved it.

So after satiating ourselves, it was back to the business at hand.
And I have to say today did feel like things were coming together nicely.
There were no pulling out problems, so no slowing people down.
On one occasion, when I was a touch over-eager on the clutch release again, I instinctively re-dropped it so I didn’t stall, whilst I added a few more revs with my right foot.
Pretty much every other start was as smooth as silk.

The one thing I am not quite happy with is roundabout (and to a smaller extent junction) lane discipline. And I’m thinking not being local, and so not knowing the roads very well, isn’t helping this.
Got caught out a couple of times where a single right-hand lane to turn right whipped over to a double left-hand lane very quickly. Then, on other occasions, that ‘transition’ time is more elongated in terms of road distance, and I found myself trying to creep over too early.
Must admit that certainly on one of those there was a good clue on the sign on approach. It clearly showed the exit I needed to be further round the ‘circle’ than normal so, had I been more on the ball, I could have avoided the situation.

Aside from that, Terry has pointed out, and we have driven, all the tricky corners, turnings and junctions he can think of. I just need to try and remember them slightly ahead of time tomorrow, or at least take it slow enough so I don’t drive headlong into one of the one’s that has the potential to make things a bit sticky if you aren’t paying attention.

Just checked the forecast, as we had a few light rain showers throughout the day, and it’s due to brighten up this evening and then be fine and sunny, if a little cold for kick-off, tomorrow morning.
So it’s early-shift for us. 06:30 meet up with Terry at the yard, leaving us plenty of time to negotiate the A1 roadworks and hopefully arrive in good time for a 08:15 start.

I really don’t want to jinx anything, but as far as I know there isn’t any real reason why I can’t pull off a good drive tomorrow.
Whatever happens, I’ll embrace those few butterflies, take a deep breath, stick my chest out and think of England.
After that, what will be, will be!

Thanks to all who have taken the time to read my ramblings - and also to those who have left a comment.

Take care all,
Jon

Good luck tomorrow Jon.

Sounds like you are definitely ready, go smash it (not literally)

Is ‘Your’ Terry buying you breakfast if you pass tomorrow? [emoji488]

Louise

If you do not pass the test then you will have done something really silly

I have enjoyed immensely this fine tale of derring-do and bacon stotties (I take it that’s what us Sweaty-socks would call a roll?). Enjoy your day tomorrow. Best of luck for a happy ending (you and Terry riding off into the sunset on a glittering stead, L plates drifting in your wake… aahh the romance :laughing: )

Good luck with it. All sounds like it’s going to plan.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for all the positive thoughts.
And it’s nice to know that I may have helped to make one or two of you smile along the way.

Yes Richie, a Stottie is a plate-sized, round white ‘roll’ that you would half and then fill (if you had a decent hunger) or quarter if you were trying to look dainty :stuck_out_tongue:
Love the image you portray if it were to all work out - just not so sure on how Terry would feel.

Actually, on a related note, I have a decision to make, and maybe y’all can help me decide…
The question is, do I actually point Terry to this post and reveal to him what a staring roll he has had in this tale?
Let me know what ya think?

Jon

Haha. I reckon he’d love it :smiley:

There’s a good chance he may be on this forum ya know! :smiley:
Looking forward to your next instalment.

Best of luck for tomorrow, have thoroughly enjoyed reading the story so far!

so… what was the result?

yeah been checking for the result since 10am lol

jbaz73:
so… what was the result?

deansav:

Amended the thread title fellas… trying to get my scribe to type faster :wink:
Update due shortly…

Jon

deansav:

Me too, don’t leave us hanging! :laughing:

Day 5 – TEST Day… gulp

Disclaimer – I defer any responsibility for any of the drivel you might read below, but my defence is that I might just be having a shandy or 2 as I write this.
‘Yes OK, OK’, they shouted, ‘but are you drinking in celebration, or to drown your sorrows’ :question: :wink:
‘Tell us already…’
Read on, my fellow Terry fans, and ye shall find out.

As mentioned yesterday, it was going to have to be a 05:30 alarm clock today. That would get me up to the yard an hour later to meet Terry, where we checked the truck and set off in good time for the test area.
As my dad always said, it’s best to be somewhere early and waiting, than rushing around trying to make it at the last minute. And the very reason he adhered to that mantra was aptly demonstrated a few years back by my mother, in a real life tale of the ‘Fast and Furious’, North-East edition :sunglasses:
Don’t start feeling sorry for yourselves having to read this, as Terry also got the story this morning interspersed into the monologue of verbal diarrhea I probably spouted on the drive up, pre-test.

So where was I, oh yes, always better to be somewhere early.
Nothing abnormal about the start to events. My parents have a holiday booked to, oh I don’t know any more, but more than likely the Canaries at that time, as that’s where they always went until they discovered cruises much more recently.
Anyway, typical parents, they have the cases out at least a week early – well more so my mother does as that allows her time to try and condense 4 double-wardrobes worth of clothes at home, into a 20kg limit suitcase, to take with her. And, when I say into one, what I mean is, into one, and then also half of my dad’s case too.
On the day before departure, this is when my dad comes more to the fore.
He oversees the ritual weigh-in of the cases on the bathroom scales – followed by the ritual argument over the definition of the words ‘20kg limit’ and how mother thinks that it’s a ‘suggestion’ and my dad re-explaining that it is NOT and she is going to have to take something out.
Eventually we make it to leaving home time and, after loading the car, my dad goes round the house to make sure all the plugs are out, the stop-■■■■ is off and double checks that he has the tickets, his wallet and his passport. As he gets into the car he double-checks that my mother has her passport, to which she answers, ‘Of course I have’ and they’re off. Journey pre-planned to be there 3hrs before check-in, allowing for the possibility of a bit of traffic on the way up to Newcastle airport.
Nothing untoward on the drive up and they leave the car with the Long stay company a few miles form the airport and wait for the shuttle bus to drop them off.
Once into the terminal, the check-in desks are already open and mother and father promptly wander over so they can offload their cases and make their way air-side.
‘Tickets and passports please’, requests the nice lady behind the desk.
My dad hands over both tickets and his passport and, after a moment turns to look at my mother as the colour, and pretty much life, starts draining out of her face. Frantic scratting only leads to a complete emptying of her handbag and then the horrible, gut-wrenching realization that yes, her passport is still back at home on the top of a set of drawers, ready to put in her handbag :blush:
I’ll save you a description of the next 15mins as you can paint that particular picture very well yourselves, I am sure.
After the dust had settled it came down to this – my dad could attempt to get back home, pick up the passport and make it back to the airport for a certain time. Or they would miss their holiday.
Well it’s a solid one hour drive each way, as well as the time needed to get the car back from the Long stay company and to re-park it and get back to the airport.
Long story short – he made it in time after breaking many a motoring law, shortening his life by a good few years and decreeing that my mother would never, ever have responsibility for her own passport, or any important document, again.
But, by being at the airport early, he was able to save the day and probable marital breakdown because the holiday would otherwise have been flushed down the toilet.

You know, that story seemed a lot shorter to tell Terry than it just did to write it.
Nevertheless, Terry, being a former military man remember, is also a fan of being prepared and punctuality, so we were well ahead of schedule when the weary staff at the Test Center opened its doors to the baying public.

As is normal in these situations, time goes in to extra fast mode and before I knew it, my examiner, a lady Terry knew well (and no, don’t take that the wrong way you lot :unamused: ) was introducing herself and getting me to sign my life away once she had seen my documents.

Whilst sat in the cab we went through the Show-Me-Tell-Me questions.
They were, as Terry had re-assured me, very straight forward.
I was asked about the Tacho, the ‘audible warning device’, the dials and gauges I would look at after start-up and the points I would check regarding my tyres.

After that we were straight into the Reverse exercise.
Now on the first training day I did this back at the yard. I tried it 3 times and had no problems.
Yesterday, we tackled it again at the end of the day and, having set the cones up, I performed it perfectly at the first attempt and that was enough for Terry.
Of course, as soon as we get to test day and the butterflies are churning a little, things seem to start OK, but in a spat of over-eagerness I have turned a little early as I try and straighten up and the driver’s side pole at the entrance to the bay is somehow exhibiting magical magnetic qualities and drawing me ever closer :open_mouth:
I know Terry’s watching and probably thinking about the severe punishment he’s going to inflict on me for not even making it out of the Test Centre – so I cut my losses and take a shunt.
That sorted it, and back I went into the bay like a greased up Chilean miner.

As my Examiner re-arranged the cones for the following test, I thought OK, that’s a Minor, no problem. You’re still in the game. Get it together and you can do this. After all, you can’t make an omelette with out breaking a few eggs.

‘At the exit to the Test Centre, I would like you to turn right please.’
Oh pooh. If she then says turn right at the next roundabout that’s just about the most awkward start to a Test going.
It’s a smallish roundabout which is also traffic-light controlled and the right-turn lane, once past the first exit, then evolves into two left-turning lanes within a very short space of time. But if you get caught by the lights you end up straddling both lanes with front and rear of truck.

‘At the next roundabout, I would like you to turn right, please.’
Oh come on… throw me a bone here!

OK, I can do this because I know made an arse of it yesterday and got Terry making one of his ‘unimpressed’ faces.
Phew… past that and now on to more ‘normal’ roads.

At this point, my examiner broke the ice and mentioned the beautiful sunshine that was percolating round the Tyne Valley.
Terry had assured me that Truck examiners weren’t like car examiners and were more ‘chatty’ and ‘relaxed’ in the way they go about things.
Don’t get me wrong, they are watching you like a hawk and won’t miss anything – but once I got warmed up and we started discussing a few topics, it was nice to be able to drive and talk to another ‘human being’.
From this point forward I settled into a much better rhythm and things started to flow a bit more smoothly.

I managed to avoid any kind of ‘pulling-out’ in front of someone situation, and I was quite happy with the overall standard of my driving.
Apparently my examiner is quite keen on the pulling over at the side of the road, and then moving off exercise – so I think I had about 6 of those, including one which was clearly the hill-start version of that. Again, no problems.

By the time my Independent Drive section had come round, we were certainly in the advanced stages of the test, Luckily by this time, and via the chat we had established already, my Examiner knew I wasn’t a local and was basically driving on unfamiliar roads. I think this bore fruit when I came to a multi-laned approach to a roundabout. I was in what would have been the wrong approach lane, until she most graciously re-stated her directions with a hand-gesture. Reacting to this successfully I think, helped along what may have become a more problematic situation.

And that was it, before long we were back at the Test Centre in Gosforth.
After a little bit of ticking here and crossing there, my Examiner looked across at me with the news that…

PASSED
With 8 minors (1 being the shunt in reversing)

So, at this point I would like to thank my parents for all their support over the years. To Terry, for bringing me through from an incompetent pile of …. yeah, yeah you get the idea.

Of course, now you know the result and are not going to read much more I will keep things short and sweet.

Louise - No buttie today (straight home after test) But test suitably, ‘smashed’.
Richie - It seems sometimes the good guys do win and there is a happy ending. Although let’s keep the Brokeback Mountain analogies to the minimum please :astonished:
Rog - Silly things were certainly done, but none of them bad enough to fail.
Pete – Yes the plan is on track. Next it’s on to C+E.
Jonesk - It’s perfectly possible he’s on here. I know he’s perfectly capable because his smartphone is bigger, better and more complicated then mine :imp:

Take care all and thanks for the support.
See you at the next hurdle for more rambling from me.

Jon

congrats… a great feeling I had only a week ago myself

Nice one Crusher!! Congratulations on the pass. Looking forward to hearing all about your CE

:smiley: :smiley:

WHAT A GREAT TRAINING BLOG :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: