Cat C+E Booked with Peter Smyths

MinkyMike:

sammym:
About 3 minutes walk away is a large and quite nice weatherspoons, it’s also cheap. Think you will have earned a beer and burger tonight.

Hehe thanks mate sounds like a plan, going to have a strole around there, as for training I feel it went really well, better then I expected, Chris is a real sound bloke, said just a few things like going a bit slower towards round abouts and approaching junctions. The reverse I managed to do, few more practices and I hope to have nailed it, the couple and uncouple seemed fairly straightforward. See what tomorrow brings.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

If you can do the reverse the rest is simply taking whatever Chris says as gospel. The man really knows his stuff.

Best advice he gave me wasL: ‘if you are not sure how much room to take then take as much as you can*’ I got knocked by the examiner for taking more lanes than needed sometimes. But I’d have failed instantly if I’d make the mistake once of not taking enough.

*his exact words might be different. But it’s the general gist of it.

Also… if you are used to driving for ‘work’ junctions and corners will feel slow. But Chirs know his stuff. And the examiner will want you going at those speeds. Also it gives you enough time to work stuff out.

In the real world in an artic I still take corners slowly. Much more slowly than a rigid. As cocking it up is a massive drama. The plus side is that an artic is far better to drive going forwards… And you will not want to drive a rigid after a few shifts.

Enjoy the training and keep us updated.

Thanks for the reply, to be fair that sounds spot on, rather take more room then clip a curb, that first island when you turn left out the estate I did once today and skimmed it, felt if went any more I would be hitting the outside of the round about with the nearside wheel, hopefully I get a few goes at that one tomorrow thanks for the support,

Also Sammy I just had a pint glass skim my head in the picture house man, what a drama never seen anything like it down by me, not that early anyway hehe, the guy was picking up the chairs in there and throwing them around. Lol I just stood there thinking wow this beats watching this small TV at central hotel hahahaha. Peace.

I trained C+E with Chris last week (plus a bit of help from Mr Smythe himself on Friday as Chris was off.

Passed with clean sheet. Chris really knows his stuff. Lovely guy too.

Just keep focussed, keep looking and planning ahead, and slow down enough to give yourself time to perform manoeuvres without rushing.

Good luck with the test. :smiley:

Well today went okay, fluffed the reverse a few times and did it okay a few, just hope it goes to plan tomorrow i feel if get that right cone in right mirror I can get it in the box, also a bit worried about some of the left turns, Chris says I’m ready , we will see tomorrow.

I forgot how stressful this is, brought me back to my class 2 first fail, man it’s horrible ain’t it. Lol still if want something enough, if don’t succeed at first try and try again.

Don’t talk yourself out of it, relax you’ll be fine.
Pass rate for w/end courses is something like 90%, (even I managed it)!
Best of luck tomorrow.

Well I want and update. Have you got the champers out? Or is it on ice for round two?

Hi all, I passed, with 9 minors, extremely happy is an understatement,

I big thank you to all of you and not sure if Chris reads these forums, you was out training when I passed but a massive thank you to you, top man great school, so pleased.

Ballsed the reverse up first time, if i would of kept going would of been over yellow line I realised, and took a shunt back to the start and did it 2nd time, my nerves was really bad here thought I’d knackered it right at the start.

For me the couple and uncouple was the easiest part.

Mid test I was sure I had failed as when asked to pull in and pull away it was clear and as I pulled away someone flyed past me, I stopped and carried on after it but was sure I’d failed after that and couldn’t stop thinking about it but tried my best for the rest of the test,. The examiner was brilliant, spot on and chatted while I was driving put me at ease.

All in all I’m just glad it’s over with !! But a good experience as far as a test goes.

Peace all mike

Quality mate. I managed to pass with 10 minors. So you are doing better than me. But my licence is no different to someone who passed with none. So I couldn’t care less.

Not sure where you are in the world - or if you have work lined up. But I was offered a weeks tramping on agency today. Told them I wasn’t interested so they offered me more money. Told them again I wasn’t interested so they offered me three different class 1 jobs I could start tomorrow. Currently, have stuff on - so again declined. But anyone telling you there is no work for a new pass is being overly negative.

Have yourself a beer tonight and tell everyone in the pub you are a class 1 truck driver :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: And if people start a fight and stuff goes past you head this time start slapping them and live up to the reputation of a hairy bummed hard trucker.

Congrats on your pass. Wait till you’ve your first job on your own and it’s a great feeling getting it done!

sammym:
But my licence is no different to someone who passed with none. So I couldn’t care less.

It’s not the licence that makes drivers different - it’s the PERSON.

It’s all about how you approach the job and interact with others that’s makes the difference whether your seen as merely a steering attendant or a driver!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t wait to get in one, I’ve been delivering flooring laminate and screed for far too long all hand ball on own, really ■■■■■. And I find class 2 driving boring. There’s alot more to think about in class 1, should get the cogs moving, thanks for the congrats all ! Now the learning starts aye.

Congratulations on the pass and thanks, everyone, for the kind comments.

I’ve just got home having successfully completing the London to Brighton in my 83 year old Riley. But the first job was to check on passes and the forum.

All the best for the future, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Congratulations on the pass and thanks, everyone, for the kind comments.

I’ve just got home having successfully completing the London to Brighton in my 83 year old Riley. But the first job was to check on passes and the forum.

All the best for the future, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Glad to hear the old girl made it back in one piece! :sunglasses:

Thanks Rog !! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]