Card in or out overnight?

best to treat your card the same way as you would treat your woman.
if in doubt,pull it out.
you cant make any mistakes if its not inserted.
you will never get grief for a bit of movement so long as its only at random and for a brief period.
write any old pish on a manual entry if it concerns you.
its pretty pathetic reading about all these drivers living in fear of a tacho for a minor indiscretion.
you may need a bit better excuse doing euro work,but never in the uk.
human beings are not perfect infallible creatures. deal with that fact and live a little.

dozy:
our DVsa compliance officer told me my card was to go in on a mom- and not come out until I’d finished the week , even to the extent of , if you go back to the yard in week the card is to stay in the truck , truck must not be touched , take keys home to make sure they don’t use it .
one of t.0 chaps wasnt happy as he wanted to use it , but after a chat with c/o he said truck won’t be used , never has done in week .
I think the idea is when it’s in your not tempted to move it , suits me as I don’t want another £700 fine

Well that’s a pile of crap isn’t it. Not you dozy, what you’ve been told.

So that DVSA officer is saying that the company can’t use that vehicle for anything else while YOU are in rest?

If I get home mid week mine will regularly go out with a night driver before I come back in the morning. Or the workshop might have it for an inspection. That DVSA man is saying that can’t be done? Under what possible law or part of the tacho rules does it say that?

Gembo:
Out for me too.
I did go through a spell of leaving it in a couple of years ago until the truck got moved in the yard overnight by another driver after I’d gone home.
The upshot of that being, I’d been on ‘other work’ all bloody night and then got an infringement for not enough rest :angry:
I was also told you are supposed to input end country at the end of duty every day, you cant do that if you leave it in!

LOL hilarious :laughing:

tachograph:

Carryfast:

toonsy:

pierrot 14:
Looking at all the different replies above and the different opinions, I have to ask you Toonsey, is this for an overnight, you asleep in the cab or just at the end of the day before you go home, I was under the impression that you meant on an overnight.

Night out as in kip in the cab night out. If I’m home for the night my card comes with me.

Bear in mind that you ‘could’ possibly be asked the question why was a chart/card removed from a tacho in a vehicle which you were staying in over night and you’ll need a good answer at that point.

Perhaps you could post a link to where the regulations say it’s not legal to remove the driver card at the end of the daily working period.

I guess it fits under the heading of drivers aren’t required to account for ( record ) their daily rest periods ‘unless enforcement authorities have reason to believe that they were working’.Which as I said is a contradictory can of worms and minefield in which you can bet that question will be part of any potential inquisition.As I also said the important thing is to make sure that there is no suggestion of any false entries contained in the records and the best way to do that is to follow the rule of keep the chart/card in if you’re with the vehicle during a rest period.Which is also what I was told to do by more than one employer. :bulb:

I alway remove mine probably for same reason as Andrew
I did move mine to make it easier for another artic to get in the space that was there or for my to move into a better position when the cars had left yes I was still awake & not closed curtains at that time

You would want your head checked if you think going from what your doing to 15 hours a day in a truck and working for cowboys
Get a better job at what you are already doing

animal:
I alway remove mine probably for same reason as Andrew
I did move mine to make it easier for another artic to get in the space that was there or for my to move into a better position when the cars had left yes I was still awake & not closed curtains at that time

I understand the reason for doing this, but I don’t think DVSA would agree. If you got a pull and they said so why has the truck moved in between your end of shift and start of shift when you were asleep in the vehicle. What’s your answer going to be? “To be helpful to another driver” isn’t going to wash with them I don’t think. To me it’s just not worth it. But I understand at the same time

Carryfast:
Bear in mind that you ‘could’ possibly be asked the question why was a chart/card removed from a tacho in a vehicle which you were staying in over night and you’ll need a good answer at that point.

You won’t be. There’s no requirement to leave the card in overnight wether sleeping in it or not.

Carryfast:
As I also said the important thing is to make sure that there is no suggestion of any false entries contained in the records and the best way to do that is to follow the rule of keep the chart/card in if you’re with the vehicle during a rest period.Which is also what I was told to do by more than one employer. :bulb:

If the mileages match up then there is no suggestion of false entries. Besides it’s always worth remembering the onus is on them to prove wrongdoing

the maoster:

nomiS36:
You just said that on a public forum [emoji23]

It actually saddens me that you live in such fear of “them” that you felt the need to write that.

It’s really tragic that these weirdos get so wound up about some guidelines that they let it control their lives.

A.