Carbon Footprint

And why do those bloody French tanker drivers insist on travelling at 75kph on the no overtaking bits of the forest road■■?

Hombre:
And why do those bloody French tanker drivers insist on travelling at 75kph on the no overtaking bits of the forest road■■?

paid by the hour mark and they couldn’t give a toss about the rest of us, thats why tanker rhymes with merchant banker

Hombre:

Because they’re French :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing:

The slowing down argument is not popular with drivers, but it does save fuel, if as Phil says the gearing is correct for the slower speed, to get the best you can the engine needs to be as close as possible to it’s sweet spot at it’s maximum speed, if the thing is geared for 90kmh, then droping to 82kmh may, by virtue of wind resistance, save fuel, but if you’re constantly changing gear at the slightest gradient then it can outweigh all the advantages, in some cases the lorry will be almost undriveable.

If a lorry does 8mpg then it will use 100 gallons to do 800 miles, if a lorry does 7mpg it will use 100 gallons to do 700 miles, time doesn’t come into it, not in pure fuel costs, but that extra hour has to be paid for if the driver is on hourly pay, it’s a case of doing the sums, if the fuel saving outweighs the extra wages it makes sense for the company to slow down, of course it would, as Phil also said, make even more sense if they specced the lorry properly in the first place, a direct top gearbox, low rolling resistance tyres, synthetic oils & decent aerodynamics would all make more savings than slowing down, even making sure that tyre pressures are correct can have a significant impact, sadly it’s not thought through, they buy sow’s ears & expect us drivers to make silk purses from them :unamused:

Renault Premiums’ are more economical set at 56 than set at 54.

This from our Renault dealer who advised not to adjust the limiters. The computer system is set up
to give max economy at 56. Adjusting down has a negative effect.

newmercman:

Hombre:

Because they’re French :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing:

The slowing down argument is not popular with drivers, but it does save fuel, if as Phil says the gearing is correct for the slower speed, to get the best you can the engine needs to be as close as possible to it’s sweet spot at it’s maximum speed, if the thing is geared for 90kmh, then droping to 82kmh may, by virtue of wind resistance, save fuel, but if you’re constantly changing gear at the slightest gradient then it can outweigh all the advantages, in some cases the lorry will be almost undriveable.

If a lorry does 8mpg then it will use 100 gallons to do 800 miles, if a lorry does 7mpg it will use 100 gallons to do 700 miles, time doesn’t come into it:

But I live in a different world where Jezza Clarkson is PM and the paradox between calculating the fuel consumption of stationary engines like generators or jet engines in aircraft in gallons per hour and the one of calculating trucks and cars in miles per gallon or litres per 100 kms does,nt exist.Nor do we put any taxation on fuel at all because we don’t believe in the CO2 global warming BS :laughing: .We gear trucks to run at peak power on the flat so that they don’t bog down when they reach a hill and speed limits are only a guideline anyway so it’s up to the customer how fast to gear the wagon to run at which in my case is about the speed where the CB aerial is horizontal to the truck roof because of that wind resistance. :smiley: :laughing:

im doing my training at the minute and on the test now as im sure you all know is a eco test which doesnt count towards your pass and fail, also there is the driver cpc and part of that is teaching hgv drivers to drive more fuel efficient. have any of you saw the latest tv advert saying that cars produce more co2 which is because there is more of them. So my question is there apart of the car driving test for eco driving and also where are the limiters on the cars to reduce the co2 yeah i would hate a limiter on my car but why should it be lorry drivers getting hit all the time myself personally i dont care as i will be paid by the hour but i hate it that its trucks that get hit all the time with this eco bollox global warming my arse its been snowing for weeks lol

Big Brummie Macca:
im doing my training at the minute and on the test now as im sure you all know is a eco test which doesnt count towards your pass and fail, also there is the driver cpc and part of that is teaching hgv drivers to drive more fuel efficient. have any of you saw the latest tv advert saying that cars produce more co2 which is because there is more of them. So my question is there apart of the car driving test for eco driving and also where are the limiters on the cars to reduce the co2 yeah i would hate a limiter on my car but why should it be lorry drivers getting hit all the time myself personally i dont care as i will be paid by the hour but i hate it that its trucks that get hit all the time with this eco bollox global warming my arse its been snowing for weeks lol

Or put limiters on planes so that they can only fly at 100 mph that would cut more CO2 than putting them on cars and trucks.Oh [zb] I forgot they’ll fall out of the sky at that speed :laughing: :laughing:But I think that tv advert about cars probably got put on there by the new commie labour party.

Whatever happened to CFCs and the hole in the Ozone Layer…? :neutral_face:

Carryfast:

Big Brummie Macca:

Or put limiters on planes so that they can only fly at 100 mph that would cut more CO2 than putting them on cars and trucks.Oh sxxt I forgot they’ll fall out of the sky at that speed :laughing: :laughing:But I think that tv advert about cars probably got put on there by the new commie labour party.

im not saying that limiters on cars should be put on them what i am saying is why is it always trucks that get hit. Also the whole if you buy it a truck brought it, so you tell me whats more important the woman driving a v8 land rover to do the school run and pop to the coffee shop to meet her friends or the artic delivering goods for everyday life, dont get me wrong got nuffin against 4x4 i would love a nice v8 range rover and as far as global warming goes i think its all sort of a scam when scientists have proven that the planet has a cycle that it goes through and temp changes occur over thousands of years. My point is truck limiters get set lower because they are company vehicles hgv eco test will become part of the pass and fail, the driver cpc which someone who has probably never driven a truck has devised (sorry if im wrong) is telling alot of experianced drivers (me not included) how to drive and do the job that they have been doing for decades what about the company cars the sales people driving loads of miles doing 100 miles a hour down the motorway and that is ok. Im aiming this at the goverment for the propaganda they fill these tree huggers heads with.

So it takes you a extra 10 - 20 minutes to get somewhere. What uses more carbon? Sitting at 55 mph or sitting at 52mph for a extra 20 minutes ?

limeyphil:
since when did running at 52mph against 56mph use less fuel?
if they want the revs down a bit, then why the [zb] don’t the tossers who order new trucks get them set up with the correct dif ratios.
52mph when running heavy means more gear changes than you would at 56mph.
still, what do i know? i don’t work in an office, and i don’t wear an ill-fitting suit. so i must know less than them.

Ours are set at 50mph and they do use less fuel ,an extra 1mpg roughly we get at 50mph . We don’t change gear as they are auto but its seldom anyone has to change gear at max speed anyway, the 460 pull quite well. I’d imagine if the diff ratios where changed then we would be having to change gear :smiley:

leyland510:
Whatever happened to CFCs and the hole in the Ozone Layer…? :neutral_face:

i heard on the radio that it’s sorted it self out. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

also what happened to global warming :question: :question: :question: no cos we have had a load of snow they call it climate change :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :angry:

you could’nt make it up could you… well in fact they have havent they.

shuttlespanker:

propa lorry:

ashbyspannerman:
It’s happened, we’ve just had a notice that to decrease our carbon footprint all of our trucks will be limited to 52 from now on, it’s been an eye opener seeing the reaction from some of our drivers, some of the supposedly ‘lary’ drivers are relaxed about it, some of the ‘steady old boys’ are up in arms!

Load of nonsense but had to happen sooner or later,will probably soon be a e.c directive,but this will keep all the envoironmental scaremongers on the payroll they have to think of new ideas or they might lose their bonuses or nobel prize nominations so they sit there at their brainstormin sessions and have a think,then bingo,lets make them evil lorries go slower so they use less fuel,the green brigade will love that and it will look like that we really are doin something and will be on track to meet the fictional and pointless emmision reduction targets,the lorry hatin public will applaud it,the government will increase our funding for an independant review and consultation will the haulage industry(accountants,bought in execs n shareholders etc and everyone else who dos’nt know one end of a lorry to another)and we will look like we are leadin the way.
In the meantime,it will mean another load of poxy limiter recalibration,more runnin out of time earlier,havin to send vehicles to change over,drivers bein sent out to recover a motor that the driver who’s run out of time,then in a few more years it will be down to 45 mph. ‘fume’
How long before we’re down to 20 mph like in the 1950’s.

incorrect, you won’t run out of hours earlier, you will just be further away from where you want to be :wink:

Sorry,terrible grammer by me,you are entirely correct there. :blush:

The remark was made on another thread that, with an opticruise (R420), you can kiss goodbye to 12th gear at 52mph. I tried running at 52 with 26 pallets of Coke, the only way it would stay in 12th was to use manual to select it, otherwise it stayed in 11th.

Anyone tried it on other autos? Results?

Carbon footprint, like the silly WTD, driver CPC, POA, IS A BIG CON take no notice

Now now its all for the best,we have a duty to lower our carbon footprint.We must show the way to save the world, the earth, even maybe the universe. Britain must lead the way.

In a few years time London will be at the center of the carbon credit trade
Billions of tons of carbon will be traded and companies will purchase credits to offset their emissions. :slight_smile: :smiley: :smiley:

This will be the new economy …of course if any of them had a lump of carbon they wouldn’t know what it was but Hey as long as we get sucked into this and the ■■■■■■■ and traders get their big bonuses
all will be right with the world. :laughing:

That means the only ones getting screwed are the workers :imp:

Interestingly one of the biggest hauliers who prattles on about lowering emissions doesn’t have their vehicles limited to 50/52mph and that is Stobarts.

Mike-C:
Interestingly one of the biggest hauliers who prattles on about lowering emissions doesn’t have their vehicles limited to 50/52mph and that is Stobarts.

no theres are more like 57/58 as they fly past me and i do 54mph flat out

When working for ACR (now Khuene & Nagel)out of Newcastle Brewery they dropped our 420 FMs down to 52 it didnt bother me I quite enjoyed sitting in the inside lane & not have the hassle of overtaking,
We ran mostly full whack 44t but I dont think it was much of a success because they were put back to 56 again. What gets me is Volvo Merc Scania etc spend millions in getting the optimum performance out of their engines in terms of emissions, fuel economy & power all set at the EU led speed limits then some body else sitting in some green conference think they can do better :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Do you remember when people said “They will tax the air I breathe soon” Well my friends those crafty politicians have done exactly that and dressed it up with a PC moniker.
How accurately do you think they have measured the Earths temperatures for? In the seventies they were predicting another ice age then we had Global warming and now it’s climate change.
Nobody says you can’t emit just pay us for what you do emit and that in my eyes is Taxing the air I breathe.