Car transporter job without experience

Class2ldn:
Well not sure I agree, obviously it’s a job you perfect or improve at least as time goes on and experience does say a lot but someone doing the same job, should be on the same money. Yes they will be slower but a new person will be, you shouldn’t be penalised financially because of it

For example in Germany all cleaner or Drivers have different pay with same job.More experience,more money.This increase profit,staff attitude,reduce number of accident.

Juddian:

kcrussell25:

Class2ldn:
If they take on trainees then what do they expect?
Ok less pay while training, fair enough but once you’re upto the job then you’ve shown you can do it.
So basically they are just compensating themselves?

I agree totally. However read juddian’s post a couple up and see that training could be a couple of years.

I am only 35 and have been driving for 6 months. In time I want to get some more specialized. Both for the extra pay and longer term security compared to the fridge work I do now.

I took the job I did at a firm that is knocked on here for low pay. Its ok, especially for the area but can be some very long weeks to earn it (day rate). Even though there are some short ones as well.

I have both a copart and a bca close to me but I think it would be better to start at copart as overall bca is probably the better job overall and I can do my training and make my mistakes at the other job before moving on to the better one.

This will probably mean like now, lower pay or longer hours for the same money but thats the investment I am happy to make

Now that’s what i’m talking about, some common bloody sense, doesn’t expect to run before walking nor expect to waltz straight onto the cream without putting in the ground work first.

As for the time to get up to speed, that’s an open ended thing, i’ve known blokes take to it like a duck to water and 3 months after starting they’re throwing the bloody things on like they’ve been doing the job 10 years, others are slower getting there but turn out just as good, i was probably somewhere in the middle.
What buggers you up is when you have a body you know intrically and then they give you summat completely different, back to square one.

If anything the new lads now have it worse because almost all the vehicles are a much more complicated design that when i started, not sure as i’d have cracked it starting out now :blush: , so i take me hat to any bugger who can.

Your long term view is pragmatic, damaging a Copart car worth £1750 is a bloody sight better than writing off a £50k Jag, it’s a skilled and hard job they can’t just replace you at the drop of a hat, and you won’t be handing over to any bloody robot in your lifetime either :smiling_imp:

I urge you to reconsider the Copart job for an immediate application, but understand if you want another year under your belt first :sunglasses:

I am pragmatic by nature. I knew I was starting again when I changed careers so would start at the bottom and work up again. No point in running before you can walk and lose the “good” job through a basic error which could/should have been avoided with experience.

I am not just thinking “robots” if (and I don’t want to go down that route in this thread) they start to take the trunking work etc those drivers doing that will be looking to move into whats left. Far better to be in specialized work and experienced already than joining the queue trying to get the training and the start. Something not often mentioned on here is automation in other industries. I was already looking at driving when I found out I was being made redundant. My previous employer has just announced another restructure and I have had 2 guys I used to work with asking how the job is, pay etc as they are thinking what they will do next. Tesco and Morrisons have also announced major management restructures across the last few weeks. There are not going to be enough jobs to go round and there will be a lot of people earning mid £20k upwards without other skills/qualifications looking for work. Driving is one of the few areas you can get qualified (I didn’t say good!) quickly and get a start on decent money. I am proof of it. I am not saying that all shop managers (and others being replaced) will become drivers but there are only so many ways to earn this sort of money and as one guy said to me last week with a mrs and 2 kids at home its what he needs to do rather than what he wants to do.

I will think about the Copart job as like you said summer would be good. Wisbech (my local depot) isn’t advertising at the minute but they probably will be again soon :smiley:

I Told them might as well drive reefer or curtainsider for same money less hassle/easier.
Their response was the jobs not what it used to be lol.

Welcome Wigan Al and WaggerWagger88, good to see a couple of transporter hands, either current or retired, chucking their tuppenceworth in telling it how it really is :sunglasses:

Andrejs:

Class2ldn:
Well not sure I agree, obviously it’s a job you perfect or improve at least as time goes on and experience does say a lot but someone doing the same job, should be on the same money. Yes they will be slower but a new person will be, you shouldn’t be penalised financially because of it

For example in Germany all cleaner or Drivers have different pay with same job.More experience,more money.This increase profit,staff attitude,reduce number of accident.

To make that a bit clearer, it’s the same in the Netherlands.
A certain industry (let’s say driving) gets its wages agreed on a national basis. That means that all driving jobs are graded (local, medium distance with odd night away, long distance with 4/5 nights away, etc etc.) also simple delivery, tail lift, crane, box trailer, curtain side, fridge, etc etc.
Each grade has a base minimum wage, according to the amount of work, skill, etc.
Then each grade has levels, which you climb with experience /time served.

Having worked under both systems, I can see the pro and cons of both.

Having had a cheeky look at the current Dutch drivers CAO, and having done a quick back of an envelope calculation, I’ve started looking at jobs in the Netherlands…

Any info about Motor Vehicle Transportation Ltd in Swindon.They offer 6week on 2off or 4 on 2 off.What they do ,like for work,any coment about this company.

No idea about that firm but just saw this if any good to you

Car Transporter Driver
Thornbury Car Transporters, Bristol - Bristol
£50,000 a year
We are an established family owned car transporter business based in Thornbury near Bristol, with 30+ years in the industry.
Applicants must hold a full UK Class 1 C+E driving licence, for a minimum of 2 years, with no more than 6 points and a CPC and digi tacho card. Also experience as a Car Transporter Driver is preferred, however full training will be given to the right candidates. The normal working week is Monday to Friday and there will be some nights out, 3-4 is a typical week, based in Southampton.
Main duties will include the delivery and collection of used vehicle. We would expect you to be able to meet the physical demands of loading and unloading a transporter and of working at height whatever the weather brings.
Please do not apply if you do not hold the relevant licence and CPC as your application will not be considered.
TCT are only interested in those drivers who can work to high standards and a have a want to give all of our customers a great service, in return we can offer you a full time driving career with the following:
Possible earnings of up to £50K per annum
30 days’ holiday per year including bank holidays
Mobile phone
Branded uniform
Full in-house training
If you meet our required criteria and would like to be considered for the role of Transporter Driver please apply by sending in your CV
Qualification Questions – EditYou have requested that Indeed ask candidates the following questions:
Do you have the following licence or certification: Driver’s License?
Job Type: Full-time
Required licence or certification:
HGV 1

indeed.co.uk/viewjob?cmp=Th … A340%2C000

They attract you with 50k per annum then say possible earnings 50k lol

Tbf at least they’ll train you up.

Juddian:
Welcome Wigan Al and WaggerWagger88, good to see a couple of transporter hands, either current or retired, chucking their tuppenceworth in telling it how it really is :sunglasses:

Juddian,

Thanks for your kind words, I’ve been a member for some time now and enjoyed reading some of the posts on here. I can’t believe the long hours, poor working practises,and low wages that some drivers are still working for. The 15 hour day seems to be a normal thing along with silly o’clock starting times. I’ll think of you tarmac junkies as I head off to Tenerife for the summer.

Not sure if the photo will upload but saw this on indeed as a breakdown of how pay made up

Was talking to a STVA driver,a few nights ago.

Just under a tenner an hour+£2.50 per car
£4.50 for a van.

He reckoned he was draggin £680 for a steady week.