Car transporter companys old and new

Being involved on the Ameys thread I came across this, no idea who the carrier might be.
oiltreader

Amey vans on transporter.jpg

Post Office service vans on what looks like a GPO owned transporter.
oiltreader

Transporter for Post Office.jpg

iangam:

transporter man:
This may sound complicated but the original Plus 12 as we know it was a originally a Plus 11 Mk1 because it was basically an 11 car transporter, it was only during loading trials at MCD with the aid of a couple of old skids under the scissor deck area it was promoted to a Plus 12. This is the reason that when the first Plus 11 as we know today was introduced in 2001 was tagged Plus 11 Mk2. The designer was a guy called Reg Smith who was ex Hoynor ( & possibly Marshals) he also had a lot of imput into the Plus 11 and worked part time with Transporter up to 2010.

Whilst I don’t know any different I do have in my yard plus 11 mk 1’s and mk 2’s, which differ on car 3 and 6.

All Plus 11s from 2001 are Mk2 with various updates up to the present Evo 5, I guess you could have an original and possibly an Evo2. Its only when I work one of the 02s that I realise how many updates have gone into the product in 10 years.

transporter man:
This may sound complicated but the original Plus 12 as we know it was a originally a Plus 11 Mk1 because it was basically an 11 car transporter, it was only during loading trials at MCD with the aid of a couple of old skids under the scissor deck area it was promoted to a Plus 12. This is the reason that when the first Plus 11 as we know today was introduced in 2001 was tagged Plus 11 Mk2. The designer was a guy called Reg Smith who was ex Hoynor ( & possibly Marshals) he also had a lot of imput into the Plus 11 and worked part time with Transporter up to 2010.

it’s a bit strange that MCD seemed to have a lot of imput in the +11 yet they ran few if any of them,i thought they were designed and built down here in sunny essex. :sunglasses:

cheers steve. p.s keep them old black and white photo’s coming oiltreader

pollystag:

transporter man:

it’s a bit strange that MCD seemed to have a lot of imput in the +11 yet they ran few if any of them,i thought they were designed and built down here in sunny essex. :sunglasses:

cheers steve. p.s keep them old black and white photo’s coming oiltreader

You are correct the trailers are built at Gosfield, MCD had no imput at all in the Plus 11 they were not interested and continued to buy Plus 12s for a long time after the Plus 11 came into production.

oiltreader:
Load of Spitfires bound for Honeybourne Airfield hangars. Canley, Progressive and Furness and Parker were all involved in ferrying Triumphs from Coventry to Honeybourne, probably around 1962/63.
oiltreader

Great photo’s oiltreader, I used to pull out of BRS Rowley Road Coventry up to Newcastle, not all happy memories as I managed to fall of the top deck and ended up in hospital for three nights. No safety ropes in them days. Am I correct in saying the guys on the ferry job were making about £800 per week as they were been paid the same rate per car as the trade platers were making per car.

transporter man:

oiltreader:
Load of Spitfires bound for Honeybourne Airfield hangars. Canley, Progressive and Furness and Parker were all involved in ferrying Triumphs from Coventry to Honeybourne, probably around 1962/63.
oiltreader

Great photo’s oiltreader, I used to pull out of BRS Rowley Road Coventry up to Newcastle, not all happy memories as I managed to fall of the top deck and ended up in hospital for three nights. No safety ropes in them days. Am I correct in saying the guys on the ferry job were making about £800 per week as they were been paid the same rate per car as the trade platers were making per car.

Hi Transporter man,
£80 a week would have been a bit of a dream never mind £800. When I started on Progressive 1962 going home with 3 tenners in the paypacket after stoppages was considered good money, nightout expenses was thirty odd bob, which just about paid for digs, a daytime meal and mebbe a couple of pints of an evening, about one and thruppence a pint then. Best digs for myself and a lot of other guys was Mrs Robinson, Corporation Street, Carlisle. Her husband Freddie drove for Robsons of Carlisle.
oiltreader

Another couple of oldies, one at Longbridge and the other at Lydd Airport, where they transported cars to France on a freighter plane the nose of the plane opened up, a ramp came down and if I remember rightly it was three cars at a time, I have delivered there myself in the distant past.
oiltreader

Longbridge long ago.jpg

oiltreader:
Another couple of oldies, one at Longbridge and the other at Lydd Airport, where they transported cars to Franch on a freighter plane the nose of the plane opened up, a ramp came down and if I remember rightly it was three cars at a time, I have delivered there myself in the distant past.
oiltreader

Another couple of good photo’s even before my time!
We used to take Clan Crusaders from Washington down to Lydd, they were one of these companies set up with government money and didn’t last long before they went bust owing us money. We shipped them out of Lydd because you paid by weight and they were very light as they were made of plastic and fitted the Hillman imp alloy engine.

Two photos of the original Plus 11 Mk 2 with its first trial load at the factory 17th September 2001. This vehicle was demonstrated & modified for a few months before production started early 2002, the first production versions went to Whitburn Transport & Car & Commercial.

Iveco 1.jpg
Iveco 2.jpg

hi , sorry no pics , anyone remember some of these names working the car yards of southampton docks ? , hsl , tizzy ( p tizzard ) , emms , yeovil , caritrans , as well as the big names already mentioned .

heres another couple of pictures of some of Glendinnings transporters,leaving Shotley Bridge for the last time.

Some of you may be aware, but for those who are not, there is an informative book by Bob Tuck called Carrying Cargo, an illustrated history of road haulage including detailed information on Transporter firms with plenty photos…
I was able to get a secondhand copy from Amazon…
oiltreader

oiltreader:
Some of you may be aware, but for those who are not, there is an informative book by Bob Tuck called Carrying Cargo, an illustrated history of road haulage including detailed information on Transporter firms with plenty photos…
I was able to get a secondhand copy from Amazon…
oiltreader

Hi oiltreader I have a signed copy good read, Bob Tuck & his father Bill used to work at Glendinnings, Bill was a driver on both cars & general and when Bob left school he was second man on CJR 320B the Leyland Super Comet/ Carrimore drawbar featured in the book. I think he does mention the fact from memory. When he left Glendinnings he joined the Teesside Police, I will say no more!!, still speak to him from time to time.

here’s a one for BIG JEFF ever get it below 16 foot kidda.before your time,i think keith boyle took this photo

10-22-2010_009.JPG
CX00006.jpg my Dad worked for most of car transporter firms in coventry

3128-thumb-448x299-113611.jpg

Warrior11.jpg

5053864865_e5cc960662_z.jpg

Another couple of tall ones. J Harding and Son Cowley, their work was all exports, mostly London Docks.
oiltreader

Harding trideck.jpg

Harding Trideck with MGs.jpg

transporter man:
Two photos of the original Plus 11 Mk 2 with its first trial load at the factory 17th September 2001. This vehicle was demonstrated & modified for a few months before production started early 2002, the first production versions went to Whitburn Transport & Car & Commercial.

I had the 3rd 11plus that Autocarriers had, picked it up from Volvo in Darlington July 31st 2002, great bit of kit. I’ll put some photo’s on at the weekend.

foden 01:
34 my Dad worked for most of car transporter firms in coventry

Great pic of the Guy, I remember that one Foden 1, it’s odd that there has not been one photo of any of Mortons transporters when they were Blue and White, they ran alot of those Commer wagon and pups and K series Dodges, the reg’s on the Dodges were all FLY— H I think. Going back to the Guy, didn’t Derek Skuse (spelling) drive it.

stva.co.uk/STVA-UK-further-s … -deal.aspx