Car Transportation....

bullitt:

Own Account Driver:
…Every hire&reward car transport option now needs tacho and o-licence apart from low payload 3.5t Transit type thing.

Cheers OAD, and there lies the rub. To make it pay and allow for proper flexibility 3.5 transit / movanos / sprinters etc are no good. So you need to go upto 4 /5 /7.5 ton and with that comes the wonderful world of tacho`s and "O"licences!!

On a similar note, could anyone decipher the data on the plate below.

Its been a few years now. It comes from a Transit transporter but with a 4.6 ton GVW and apparently a 2.5 tonne payload! So what does the 6.5 tonne signify

Would guess train weight so pull a trailer up to 1.9t.

There are definitely Mercs/Iveco/Renault Mascots out there around the 5-6t GVW that can pull a 3.5t trailer as well. I would think you would still have to very much watch the rear axle weight though when the trailer was heavily loaded.

Thanks for that Rog.

The V5 has the unladen weight so the max would be 2040 on that document for the exemption from O licence

Unless VOSA use another document for the unladen weight ■■

4600 GVW
6500 GTW

That only means a max towing weight of 1900 IF the vehicle is fully loaded to 4600

GTW means the ACTUAL weight of the combination

Vehicle actually weighing 3500 with trailer actually weighing 3000 = 6500 GTW

Own Account Driver:
…There are definitely Mercs/Iveco/Renault Mascots out there around the 5-6t GVW that can pull a 3.5t trailer as well. I would think you would still have to very much watch the rear axle weight though when the trailer was heavily loaded.

Nothing in life is as straight forward as it seems is it!!! :laughing: :wink:

ROG:
4600 GVW
6500 GTW

That only means a max towing weight of 1900 IF the vehicle is fully loaded to 4600

GTW means the ACTUAL weight of the combination

Vehicle actually weighing 3500 with trailer actually weighing 3000 = 6500 GTW

I think VOSA and the Police have made some odd decisions with train weight where 3.5t trailers are concerned, treating them as their full plated weight whether loaded or not.

Obviously you can pull a tri-axle semi trailer with a 4x2 unit and they would never say it’s over it’s GTW based on the trailer plate.

bullitt:

Own Account Driver:
…There are definitely Mercs/Iveco/Renault Mascots out there around the 5-6t GVW that can pull a 3.5t trailer as well. I would think you would still have to very much watch the rear axle weight though when the trailer was heavily loaded.

Nothing in life is as straight forward as it seems is it!!! :laughing: :wink:

That’s why the AA have 10 or even 13 tonners so there’s virtually no prospect of overloading.

If you try and scrape everything right on the margin you’re greatly increasing the chances of getting caught out on overloading and since the rule changes there’s very little cost or time saving to be made by operating the lighter weight vehicles.

Own Account Driver:
I think VOSA and the Police have made some odd decisions with train weight where 3.5t trailers are concerned, treating them as their full plated weight whether loaded or not.

Obviously you can pull a tri-axle semi trailer with a 4x2 unit and they would never say it’s over it’s GTW based on the trailer plate.

VOSA - ok with weights but not for licences
POLICE - ok with licences but not for weights

TRAFPOL - usually ok for both licences and weights

This is what you need zizengineering.com/machineinfo/i … rrier.html

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

billybigrig:

Permissible Gross Vehicle Weight(GVWR) 3,500 kg Hmmmm… very lightweight vans :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

billybigrig:

We used to do the maintenance on a customers fifth wheel outfit similar to that but the tow vehicle was a Nissan Navarra. He used to do agricultural machinery deliveries to dealers, the trailer was plated to 4.5t so would guess payload was probably over 3t. He used to swap for a new pick-up every two years so I assume it killed either the engine or transmission.

ROG:
The V5 has the unladen weight so the max would be 2040 on that document for the exemption from O licence

How would an unladen weight of 2040 kg be exempt from an ‘O’ licence?

bluenose:

ROG:

How would an unladen weight of 2040 kg be exempt from an ‘O’ licence?

B category dual purpose vehicle with an unladen weight under 2040 kgs towing a trailer where the combination MAM is over 3500 kgs for commercial purposes will be exempt O licence