Car to Artic - the first?

So the tax payer paid for it then?

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

rearaxle:

Are you trying to imply or insinutate something by this comment? Somehow trying to throw shade on my achievement?

If so, then please take the time to fully expand on the problem you might have with me?

If not, then I’m puzzled as to why you would mention it at all when I have already stated that I got a grant from UC (for which I have already expressed my appreciation and gratitude)… I should also state that it wasn’t easy getting the grant, and I had to do a lot of work to even get to the stage of making an application.

I have had a very hard time since March 2020 being isolated and unable to do my previous job because of travel restrictions (without the benefit of the furlough grants, etc). It took a fair bit to pick myself back up, so I would really appreciate support, rather than what seems like a passive aggressive comment.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply.

Katten
You do not have to explain yourself or your reasons to anyone

ROG the MOD

This forum is not the place to express personal opinions on how someone has funded their training

ROG:
Katten
You do not have to explain yourself or your reasons to anyone

ROG the MOD

This forum is not the place to express personal opinions on how someone has funded their training

Thank you Rog - I didn’t mean to spark any “hatemail”, I only mentioned it really because I know others have been asking about funding and what the options are…

katten:
I didn’t mean to spark any “hatemail”

This is not the forum for that sort of thing

bobafatt:
Congratulations on passing! Quick question…

I have just had my medical and have now sent my D2 and D4 forms back off to the DVLA.

Are you able to do your theory test before receiving plastic provisional back?

Thanks, Boba.

No. You need to show it in the room before sitting the tests. As Pete says you can book them when you have entitlement but it’s a risk if it doesn’t turn up in time.

ROG:

Well to be fair ROG this is supposed to be a discussion forum and the subject of funding was originally raised by the OP, therefore surely people have a right to politely voice their own personal opinions on the topic that was raised by the OP.

katten:
I didn’t mean to spark any “hatemail”, I only mentioned it really because I know others have been asking about funding and what the options are…

I only briefly browsed over the reply that has been deleted but unless I missed something it didn’t seem particularly hateful to me,but maybe I missed something :confused:

Of all the money the “tax payer” has spent (wasted) on Covid this sounds like a fantastic use of money. I’m sure it will be repaid in taxes and I hope you can start to rebuild your life katten. Good luck.

stu675:
Of all the money the “tax payer” has spent (wasted) on Covid this sounds like a fantastic use of money. I’m sure it will be repaid in taxes and I hope you can start to rebuild your life katten. Good luck.

Thank you so much stu - I’m gonna give it my best shot! Can’t wait to get started…

rearaxle:

They paid for mine old lad. But not the way you think.

'Course you could have also availed yourself of that possibility- but I suspect you wouldn’t have had it in you for what was required

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Hello Katten,

I have spent my working life paying taxes which go into things like UC. Knowing where some if it goes and to who is a little upsetting, however, knowing that some of it goes to help someone like yourself into a future where you can pay back in (and you will spend the rest of your working life paying taxes, like the rest of us) that money is well spent. I wouldn’t mind getting access to that funding as well. Born in the UK and spent my working life putting in, I would like to make a small withdrawal. It will get me back up and running and I can spend the rest of my working life paying back in.
All the best Katten, chin up and good luck with your driving!
Maybe get a camera and make youtube videos like Hayley?
By-ee
Simon

Monkey241:

rearaxle:

'Course you could have also availed yourself of that possibility- but I suspect you wouldn’t have had it in you for what was required

Well old chap …why don’t you share it on here for others to go about applying ,THEN.!! …and no, I ve already got all my licences…paid for by myself thanks.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

rearaxle:

Monkey241:

rearaxle:

Well old chap …why don’t you share it on here for others to go about applying ,THEN.!! …and no, I ve already got all my licences…paid for by myself thanks.

My way took 22 years hard graft and involved some rather dodgy experiences. 'Course you could also say that part of my contract earnings was what resulted in my licence acquisition.

I take it to you begrudge someone using what the law, rules or whatever allows them to get qualified.

Sad really

Not at all, but when folk are on here struggling to pay for training when in other jobs it’s a bit a a custard pie in their faces, so, like I say , share the secret .

katten:
So, today I passed my C+E, first time. Am I the first in the country to go from car to artic since the rules changed?

For background: I didn’t set foot in a Class 2 rigid, I have never driven anything bigger than a VW transporter, never towed anything ever, and I’m a 5’ 2" female.

This is my first post, and I want to say thank you to everyone who has posted questions in this forum, and to those who have taken the time to answer them! I spent a lot of time researching everything both before and after I found this forum, which helped with knowing what to do, when and how.

With your help I managed to understand how it all works, and navigate the process of booking my theory and hazard tests (3 hours online trying 9 different test centres!) while waiting for my plastic to arrive, and upgrading to provisional C+E, all at the same time as having a training slot ready and waiting for me to go straight to C+E from a car…

I was so lucky to get a training provider with a cancellation (next available date was next year) that he kept open for me despite things getting very close to the wire on whether I’d get everything done before the course started. And I’m very, very grateful that he took a punt on me wanting to go straight to artic without having to do any training in a rigid first.

So for those of you out there wondering… it can be done! (Now that I’ve passed, any help on where the good jobs are…? :wink:)

Licence applied for: 16 September
Provisional entitlement online: 3 November
Theory & Hazard Perception: 8 November
Upgrade licence to C+E: 15 November
Course start: 17 November
C+E passed: 24 November
CPC periodic start: 13 December

Congrats!
Can I ask, how many days did your practical training take? Here in Scotland one training provider I spoke to is advising 10 days training, if you are going straight to C&E. They where trying to justify it by suggesting I should really be sitting Cat C first.

rearaxle:
Not at all, but when folk are on here struggling to pay for training when in other jobs it’s a bit a a custard pie in their faces, so, like I say , share the secret .

I did it through my military resettlement…

I don’t get the jealousy aspect - however she achieved its a much needed new driver.

GlasgowJim:

katten:
So, today I passed my C+E, first time. Am I the first in the country to go from car to artic since the rules changed?

For background: I didn’t set foot in a Class 2 rigid, I have never driven anything bigger than a VW transporter, never towed anything ever, and I’m a 5’ 2" female.

This is my first post, and I want to say thank you to everyone who has posted questions in this forum, and to those who have taken the time to answer them! I spent a lot of time researching everything both before and after I found this forum, which helped with knowing what to do, when and how.

With your help I managed to understand how it all works, and navigate the process of booking my theory and hazard tests (3 hours online trying 9 different test centres!) while waiting for my plastic to arrive, and upgrading to provisional C+E, all at the same time as having a training slot ready and waiting for me to go straight to C+E from a car…

I was so lucky to get a training provider with a cancellation (next available date was next year) that he kept open for me despite things getting very close to the wire on whether I’d get everything done before the course started. And I’m very, very grateful that he took a punt on me wanting to go straight to artic without having to do any training in a rigid first.

So for those of you out there wondering… it can be done! (Now that I’ve passed, any help on where the good jobs are…? :wink:)

Licence applied for: 16 September
Provisional entitlement online: 3 November
Theory & Hazard Perception: 8 November
Upgrade licence to C+E: 15 November
Course start: 17 November
C+E passed: 24 November
CPC periodic start: 13 December

Congrats!
Can I ask, how many days did your practical training take? Here in Scotland one training provider I spoke to is advising 10 days training, if you are going straight to C&E. They where trying to justify it by suggesting I should really be sitting Cat C first.

Thank you GlasgowJim! I’m really happy :smiley:

I wouldn’t really like to comment on how many days practical training I had, because everyone is different, and I probably did it in less days than you might expect. My instructor said he would usually advise an 8 day course (he’s 1:1), but depending on experience and aptitude he would be happy to reduce that if he thought the trainee was capable of doing it in less time (for example an experienced bus driver going straight to C+E).

I called a lot of training companies to get their take on it, and the general consensus was they advise around 8 days, with time in a rigid first. But I knew I wanted and needed as much time as I could get in the vehicle that I wanted to drive, to give myself the best chance of passing, rather than spending/wasting? it in a rigid, which is (I am told) a very different beast.

Also, do check how many hours you are getting in those days - it’s important to know, so you can work out how many hours you actually get in the vehicle! (I had 6 hours with my instructor per day, 1:1, but with around 4 - 5 hours actual driving time)

If it were me in your situation, I would talk to a few more training companies (in other parts of the country as well as Scotland), including the forum sponsor, to see if anyone else will do the type of course that you want…? It may work out cheaper and more useful for you, even if you have to travel and pay for B&B.

Best of luck with it, and hope you find a course you like.

Katten

rearaxle:

Katten was also a taxpayer. irrelevant post with resentment.

Jees, it took six months of waiting, a letter to my MP and a phonecall from the the DVLA complaints department to get my C provisional off the DVLA. I originally applied in March 2021. Then another month because the school was booked up, it would have been longer but I got a cancelation spot.

Glad I went to C first though, it was two and a half days training with only one full day and then the test on the third day. I felt as though it was big enough jump and would have liked a full third day training. In hindsight I couldn’t imagine going straight from B to C+E, which is what I also thought about doing when they announced it. Although, if you’ve had 8 days training that sounds like it is enough and obviously was.

Don’t know how you did it so fast.

If it was paid by the gov’t, I heard about that too around the time they were announcing the changes. You’re the first person I know that’s taken it, are you bound to anything, is there any contractual obligation?

Congratulations indeed. December should be a good time to get work. Maybe I will see you out on the road! :smiley:

Peg:
Jees, it took six months of waiting, a letter to my MP and a phonecall from the the DVLA complaints department to get my C provisional off the DVLA. I originally applied in March 2021. Then another month because the school was booked up, it would have been longer but I got a cancelation spot.

Glad I went to C first though, it was two and a half days training with only one full day and then the test on the third day. I felt as though it was big enough jump and would have liked a full third day training. In hindsight I couldn’t imagine going straight from B to C+E, which is what I also thought about doing when they announced it. Although, if you’ve had 8 days training that sounds like it is enough and obviously was.

Don’t know how you did it so fast.

If it was paid by the gov’t, I heard about that too around the time they were announcing the changes. You’re the first person I know that’s taken it, are you bound to anything, is there any contractual obligation?

Congratulations indeed. December should be a good time to get work. Maybe I will see you out on the road! :smiley:

Hi Peg
Congrats to you on passing C - it can be a bit of a lottery getting provisional back from DVLA. Mine took 7 weeks, which isn’t the best, but not the worst, either!

I certainly understand wanting to do C first - there are a lot of pros to going that route, but I knew I wanted C+E, so I decided to go for it, and was very lucky with my training provider :smiley: (It was less than 8 days, though :wink: )

I didn’t get the “new” government announced funding, and I’m not even sure whether anyone has managed to get it yet? I looked into it, but I didn’t qualify, and even if I had, I’m not sure whether I would still be waiting for approval… :confused:

Would be good to see you out there!