Car PCP

If I was young I’d be doing exactly what all these youngsters do , buying what I want with not a thought about tomorrow , that’s what I did when I was young , jags motorbikes , buy it one day , change it a week later
You only live once , and not everyone has a long healthy life , brother died from mnd in his 40s
So no I’m old & turned into a tight git , but you kids go out & enjoy life , spend what you like me , have no regrets
Nb I’ll add though I have saved all my lol fe , but have spent as well

I have a Ford Mondeo,formerly 51 plate, 2lt.diesel which I took to Spain 16 years ago and re registered.Still running to and fro.Just had to put its 2nd.new battery on.5 years ago a new alternator.Pretty cheap motoring.

Lad where I work in his early 20s has a Audi A4 on a pcp thing. Said once it costs him close to £500 a month…possible insurance as well. Yet he tramps out all week. And his cars just parked at the yard all work I dont get it at all.
Spends all that money and.not getting much use out of it.
Don’t begrudge him if he can afford it why not. But personally I’d be putting the money aside as a despoist on a house or buy car outright for cash.
As sure when your pcp runs.out you hand it back or trade it in for another one.

I have a VW Gti which I bought new 3yrs ago for £25K+ cash, money I had in the bank. It’s on a 4yr extended warranty and 4yr dealer servicing contract. With all the extras I spec’d, private plate, security etc it’s probably cost me another £1K on top. It’ll be swopped for another new one next year which will also be paid for with cash in the bank.

Gidders:
I have a Ford Mondeo,formerly 51 plate, 2lt.diesel which I took to Spain 16 years ago and re registered.Still running to and fro.Just had to put its 2nd.new battery on.5 years ago a new alternator.Pretty cheap motoring.

Triggers new broom?

Bought my van for cash,early 2020.
Bought my car on 0% PCP deal July 21.
10k down,24 mnths@£245,18k to keep it.

the maoster:
I park my car which is probably worth less than a grand in the works car park on a Monday morning beside all the F Paces, M 5’s, Range Rover Sports etc and I feel no envy whatsoever. A car has only ever been a method to get to and from work without getting my hair wet for me.

Mine’s the same, Rover 75 bought nine years ago for £2,800 cash. I had to get a lot of work done to it earlier this year, about £2,000s worth but most of the time it just ticks along costing me nothing in finance payments which suits me as I only work sporadically- it’s been on a SORN notice since April.

I think the way PCP gets you is that its a lot cheaper than HP now , when we got our 1st MG3 in 2017 when the MG3s 1st came out we got HP and the car was only £7,500 brand new, about 150 a month.

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

My car 55 plate Micra - £0

Wife’s car 10 plate Roomster - £0

Both are cheap to run, cheap to insure cheap to repair if and when anything goes wrong, gets us where we want to go.

1998 Merc C230 Kompressor Elegance - £800 cash eight years ago.
Has needed a few minor jobs for MOT every couple of years.
Similar models are now listed for sale for up to £16k

rearaxle:
I think the way PCP gets you is that its a lot cheaper than HP now , when we got our 1st MG3 in 2017 when the MG3s 1st came out we got HP and the car was only £7,500 brand new, about 150 a month.

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

The payments might be , but unless hp has changed you didnt have to pay a large payment at the end whereas you do with pcp

peirre:
I have a VW Gti which I bought new 3yrs ago for £25K+ cash, money I had in the bank. It’s on a 4yr extended warranty and 4yr dealer servicing contract. With all the extras I spec’d, private plate, security etc it’s probably cost me another £1K on top. It’ll be swopped for another new one next year which will also be paid for with cash in the bank.

Gidders:

Triggers new broom?

Well I hope you’ve saved plenty because looking on autotrader 2022 golf gti with 20/30 miles are 49,000 , £49,000 for a bloody golf , crazy money , no way would I give them 49,000 of my savings , I guess that’s why young kids get these pcp,s
I’d want a bloody Porsche/ ferrari for that money
Mind Ford sent my mrs a load of offers , puma st 37,000 or x amount on a pcp , worlds gone bloody crazy

I cant see the point of getting into debt over a car of all things. If its likely to appreciate ,buy it. If its likely to depreciate rent it. I go for a ten year old fairly quality car , pay ten % of the price and have about seventy% of the value. If its got ■■■■ or tyres its trouble.

alamcculloch:
I cant see the point of getting into debt over a car of all things. If its likely to appreciate ,buy it. If its likely to depreciate rent it. I go for a ten year old fairly quality car , pay ten % of the price and have about seventy% of the value. If its got ■■■■ or tyres its trouble.

I’m not in debt and I like cars.
Been out camping in the van.sat-tue.
Thrash out to southwell,in the sports car this evening.
Favourite pizzeria,on the way home…and a couple of san Miguel’s to finish off.
Had worse weekends

dozy:
Well I hope you’ve saved plenty because looking on autotrader 2022 golf gti with 20/30 miles are 49,000 , £49,000 for a bloody golf , crazy money , no way would I give them 49,000 of my savings

It’s actually a 19 plate Gti Polo, it’s got the same 2.0ltr 200bhp petrol engine as the mk7/8 golf Gti and 6 speed DSG automatic gearbox.
The body is the same size as a mk4 golf so it’s spacious enough for me. Soto quote the VW Ad “it’s like a Golf, but not a Golf” but at the time for over £10K less. To spec a new golf up to the same spec as this polo would be £39,500, as this car has most of the extras (led headlights, self parking, reverse cam, proximity sensors, ACC, optional 18” alloys etc).
In the 3yrs I have had it there’s only 23k on the clock, but I’m taking it to Spain tomorrow for a month long holiday (via the Bilbao ferry) and heading south to the Algarve via Lisbon so I figure it will get another 3000-4000km by the time I get back

^^^nice

I’m always stunned when I enquire the price of the Bilbao or Santander ferries which is why I prefer to drive through France,Peirre.

peirre:

dozy:
Well I hope you’ve saved plenty because looking on autotrader 2022 golf gti with 20/30 miles are 49,000 , £49,000 for a bloody golf , crazy money , no way would I give them 49,000 of my savings

It’s actually a 19 plate Gti Polo, it’s got the same 2.0ltr 200bhp petrol engine as the mk7/8 golf Gti and 6 speed DSG automatic gearbox.
The body is the same size as a mk4 golf so it’s spacious enough for me. Soto quote the VW Ad “it’s like a Golf, but not a Golf” but at the time for over £10K less. To spec a new golf up to the same spec as this polo would be £39,500, as this car has most of the extras (led headlights, self parking, reverse cam, proximity sensors, ACC, optional 18” alloys etc).
In the 3yrs I have had it there’s only 23k on the clock, but I’m taking it to Spain tomorrow for a month long holiday (via the Bilbao ferry) and heading south to the Algarve via Lisbon so I figure it will get another 3000-4000km by the time I get back

I just stuck golf gti into autotrader & first 3 were 49 k ,mrs is 66 plate & has just turned 20 k , never had a vw, only one I like is Skoda octavia vrs , though I guess the purists would say it’s not a proper vw , but focus does me for now
May change mrs for a nitrous blue rs focus , but in no rush as hers is like new ,spent a bomb , 300 hp , exhaust , intercooler , mapped etc , fun but ride is rock hard & becomes tiresome for me after a bit , rs felt better but £30k for a 17 plate focus ( though rs ) I do struggle a bit with
Any way enjoy your hols , as I don’t get hol pay these days , I’ve booked a savers caravan at ingomells ha ha

I keep my car for years so either pay cash or a loan over a few years. With this I got a loan over 2 years.
I bought a late 17 plate 11 month old bmw 5 series touring almost 4 years ago from a bmw dealer. When new it was £44,200, I paid £25,200. That’s a £19,000 saving!
With it being under a year old, I was able to get a 4 year service plan for £499.
it’s a fantastic car and I have no plans in exchanging anytime soon. I do understand because it’s a bmw if it needs anything it is more expensive.

Gidders:
I’m always stunned when I enquire the price of the Bilbao or Santander ferries which is why I prefer to drive through France,Peirre.

Car+4 berth outside commodore cabin (tv coffee and dinner inc) basically I’m going 1st class :unamused: :unamused:
2 nights Outbound = £503
1 night return = £350
Total = £850ish
I had a credit voucher left over from a pre-covid cancellation, which is why I am going, otherwise I would not go at those prices. The 2023 dates/prices are out there.

As for cost of the trip?
I’m away from home 30 days & anticipating spending around €1000 on fuel alone.
1st night in the Ibis Chaves (PT) €50 + dinner in a restaurant nearby
A couple of nights at a mates near Lisbon
Then 5 nights at the ibis in Faro €600+ (for the motorcycle festival/rally) there.
Then wander around the country staying in B&B’s etc approximately €50/night.
Returning at the beginning of August. I didn’t even have to ask the boss if I could have more than a fortnight off work, or argue the toss with Joe Bloggs who thinks that he should have priority because he wants time off to take the kids away to benidorm for a week during the school holidays, I may not get holiday pay for the full 30 days but I’ll get around 20 days pay, Oh the joys of being a limper :laughing: :laughing:

Those ships to Bilbao and Santander are very nice (2 brand new ones now) but every time I enquire it’s minimum £1000.My fuel cost has now doubled almost.I use Newhaven to Dieppe and fill up at Brighton Asda and La Junquera or Pamplona getting almost 60 mpg.Little or no tolls paid.I also one hit it in around 18 or 19 hours. Your trip sounds good.If you need a windscreen washer or light checker,give me a shout!