Car part prices

md1987:
Maybe he’s thinking of motorcycle calipers :laughing:

Again, I’d rank that among things I know nothing about. Although I’d be suprised if they haven’t, brakes produce a lot of dust which must wear parts

md1987:

Everything from the rear drum brake cylinders on my old Triumph 2.5 to the 4 opposed piston front AP racing brakes and single piston sliding caliper rear X 300 type brakes fitted on my Jag and single piston sliding calipers on my Zafira.

Carryfast:

md1987:

Everything from the rear drum brake cylinders on my old Triumph 2.5 to the 4 opposed piston front AP racing brakes and single piston sliding caliper rear X 300 type brakes fitted on my Jag and single piston sliding calipers on my Zafira.

The X300 definitely has dust seals as I described previously.

Noremac:

Carryfast:
Any wear in pads and discs or drums and shoes has to be compensated for by more travel of the brake piston outside of the caliper/cylinder seals.

The mechanism by which the wear is compensated for is different.

The caliper is constantly unwinding while more and more fluid builds up in the reservoir. Yes, the piston is further out, but the amount it retracts after braking is the same. If the seal is intact, there shouldn’t be any ingress.

In brake drums, there is a ratcheting mechanism that keeps the shoes a close distance from the drum. The cylinder would only suffer at extreme wear.

Suggesting you would replace drums to preserve the cylinders is an extreme false economy IMHO.

As the piston moves out, there is less fluid in the reservoir, not more.
If you run the brake pads right down the fluid level can reduce enough to trip the switch showing low brake fluid, which is the same bulb as the handbrake light/ parking brake light.

edit, to add, the pistons can corrode by infrequent brake fluid changes too

Can someone feed the hamster powering the site, its really slow

Dav1d:

I confused things by using the word reservoir, but I meant more fluid in the caliper just before the piston. If there is more in that chamber (that is a better word), then of course less above the master cylinder.

Carryfast:

md1987:

You could change the pads and discs on your Zafira ‘close to new’ as you say, but it would be a pointless and costly exercise.

Noremac:

Dav1d:

I confused things by using the word reservoir, but I meant more fluid in the caliper just before the piston. If there is more in that chamber (that is a better word), then of course less above the master cylinder.

Yeah, that’s better

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I don’t share your suffering,because I don’t keep up with the Joneses like most with their 20K+ cars :grimacing: mine cost £230 and I do all the welding and oil changes,timing belt etc

Had to replace a fuel rail pressure sensor on my t6…but it was done under warranty…so no idea of the cost.
Bit of a pain…but I took my fishing tackle,and borrowed the service managers caddy,for the day.