Canada Offer (Sort of!)

taffytrucker:
I know there have been arguments to get driving classed as high skilled instead of being dumped in with burger flippers. I can confirm Russ that yes a couple drivers were sacked when the new rules came in but they were drivers that either didn’t want to work for the company or didn’t show any long term commitment. Part of the new rules is that they have to try and retain I think it’s at least 50% of drivers that they put through PR

When I read comments like, companies have to try and retain 50% of their PR drivers. I can’t help but think that these new rules aren’t all bad.

If they keep stuff like that in the rules then it can mean an improvement in terms and conditions so sounds good to me

Why on earth would anybody need sacking for the company to comply with the rules?

newmercman:
Why on earth would anybody need sacking for the company to comply with the rules?

They wouldn’t. Any one currently on a TWP will have it honoured until it expires any way and its only then it could become an issue. If any one has been sacked its either because the company is panicking and don’t know what they’re doing and are resorting to knee jerk reactions or the drivers in question are useless and they’re getting rid of them with a under the guise of all of this immigration chaos.

Drivers were let go to try and get down to the 30% on LMO. The ones that were let go was to try and save the ones already there and that showed commitment to the company. The way I look at it is if someone that really don’t want to be working for the company or only using them then why should they have the time and effort used on them for PR when it can be better spent elsewhere. With the new rules places will start thinking more for the long run then just getting loads down the road

What a complete load of ■■■■■■■■ that is :exclamation:

If the company looked after the drivers then they wouldn’t have to worry about LMOs in the future as the drivers they already have wouldn’t keep leaving and locals would want to work there.

It ain’t rocket science ffs :open_mouth:

Yea but not everyone who comes over as a truck driver intends to stay on long haul or as a truck driver full stop once they get PR. We had one guy for instance who came over then proceeded to slag the company off to anyone who would listen after he had been on the road for 2 days then turn round to say I came over here to do reefer work!!!

So do the due diligence before you hire a driver, don’t just give jobs to anybody with a pulse and weed out the wrong 'uns first.

It’s a simple process, the companies make out that it’s so difficult and because of the way they operate it is.

If things aren’t working you have to change them, carrying on regardless and bringing in a bunch of new recruits every couple of months is mental.

You get drivers that stay and look after them and your operation will be so much more profitable, these idiots are spending a tenner trying to save a fiver.

I hope this current situation either wakes them up or runs them out of business.

Journo I agree with ya but when you interview someone you gotta take em at how you find em on the day. Also a lot of people don’t do enough research into the company they are looking at working for and take the first thing that comes along. As I said before maybe companies will start to employ people that wanna do the job for the long term instead of just filling seats.

Yeah that’s it, stop the meat in the seat mentality and it won’t take long for word to spread.

Even the worst company out there would see a line up of potential drivers at the door if they were to change the way they do things.

And change the pay structure.

taffytrucker:
I know there have been arguments to get driving classed as high skilled instead of being dumped in with burger flippers. I can confirm Russ that yes a couple drivers were sacked when the new rules came in but they were drivers that either didn’t want to work for the company or didn’t show any long term commitment. Part of the new rules is that they have to try and retain I think it’s at least 50% of drivers that they put through PR

Our place will be in bother then if thats true, the exit door has scorch marks on it people are using it that quickly lol

russjp:
Our place will be in bother then if thats true, the exit door has scorch marks on it people are using it that quickly lol

Whats gone wrong with your lot? I thought it was supposed to be the place to be for those wanting in to Canada but not wanting to be down the road for a few weeks at a time?

Not from what I’ve heard on the cb from the hi viz wearing crew on there, not spoken to any of them, but if there’s ever two of em running together it’s like every RDC waiting room you’ve ever been in :laughing:

newmercman:
Not from what I’ve heard on the cb from the hi viz wearing crew on there, not spoken to any of them, but if there’s ever two of em running together it’s like every RDC waiting room you’ve ever been in :laughing:

This is very true, theyre whinging even more now the guys doing 3,4 or 5 Headingley runs a week have been put on the same work as everyone else - one big rota sharing all the work lol, if it was days id probably stay but nights are killing me slowly.

I hear you on the night work thing, I was almost on permanent nights at Paul Brandt, 4am deliveries into AB and 10pm reloads for next morning drops, it knocks the ■■■■■■■■ out of you.

I didn’t realise how much until I stopped doing it. Although I had a 2am delivery Friday in Regina, got tipped at 0330 and into bed by 4am, still recovering now :laughing:

newmercman:

Passed one the other day stopped at the Esso in Chamberlain , strutting around in his hi viz ,did make me chuckle .
Russ , sorry to hear the job’s screwed , just keep counting the days/nights it’ll soon be done . Can see you ending up at Knolls on the grain ,quite convenient truck parking in Dog River so I’m told :wink:

flat to the mat:

newmercman:

Passed one the other day stopped at the Esso in Chamberlain , strutting around in his hi viz ,did make me chuckle .
Russ , sorry to hear the job’s screwed , just keep counting the days/nights it’ll soon be done . Can see you ending up at Knolls on the grain ,quite convenient truck parking in Dog River so I’m told :wink:

See what happens mate, the wife has just landed a cracking job in the city with one of the big law firms, ive already been told ill be doing less :smiley:

Way to go Russ , that’s what you call a “result” :laughing: