Canada...illusions and info

It’s been a while, but IIRC, yes you can bring your wife and kids on a TWP, they all get MB health and the kids get to go to school, only exception is kids over 18, they get neither. Your wife will get an open work permit, allowing her to do anything she wants except work in schools or in the ■■■ trade (seriously, it actually says that on the permit) that’s how it was when I did it.

I had a 2yr TWP under the old LMO scheme, did a year on my own and then the tribe followed, applied for MBPNP at the end of the 2yr TWP and extended that for another year while PNP was processed, then another two annual renewals as we waited for PR. I actually had two TWPs as I needed one for my magazine work as well as the lorry driving, so I had 8 TWPs I total.

So if things are still the same, you will get your TWP for the company you’re coming to work for, your wife will get an open work permit, kids can go to school and you all get MB health, the only exception is kids over 18, if you have any of them you’ll need to get them an annual health insurance plan before you get here, just a simple holiday insurance thing will do, it will save you a fortune if they have to go to the doctor or the hospital.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Just out of interest, if I came to Canada on a TWP with no real intention of going for PR, would I be limited to driving in Canada only? I’ve had my class one for 15 years including 18 months driving in France, would I need 2 years international to be able to have the option of doing Canada - U.S?

onyerbike:
Just out of interest, if I came to Canada on a TWP with no real intention of going for PR, would I be limited to driving in Canada only? I’ve had my class one for 15 years including 18 months driving in France, would I need 2 years international to be able to have the option of doing Canada - U.S?

You would have no restriction on where you can go. Not many companies would need Canada only drivers on work permits, almost all of your work would be cross border.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

onyerbike:

If your only wanting to go for limited time to drive truck why not just do the harvest■■?!!!
A lot easier I would have thought than going down the TWP route.

Only a matter of a quick visit to American Embassy after the “Custom Cutter” has faxed a H2A temp harvest visa to them.
Work from April to Nov and most provide room/board.
Wages are tax free as temp worker and under the H2A visa rule Custom Cutter pays for return flights if you commit for full season!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Big Truck:

onyerbike:

If your only wanting to go for limited time to drive truck why not just do the harvest■■?!!!

Only a matter of a quick visit to American Embassy after the “Custom Cutter” has faxed a H2A temp harvest visa to them.
Wages are tax free as temp worker and under the H2A visa rule Custom Cutter pays for return flights if you commit for full season!!!

Cheers for that, just looking around, seeing whats available before deciding what I want to do.
What area of U.S. is this working in, have you got any more info?

dunchues:

onyerbike:

You would have no restriction on where you can go. Not many companies would need Canada only drivers on work permits, almost all of your work would be cross border.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Dunchues

onyerbike:

Big Truck:

onyerbike:

Cheers for that, just looking around, seeing whats available before deciding what I want to do.

Go to Facebook and search:

“Harvest support USA-UK”
(They have vacancies for drivers to go over short term for fall harvest Sept-Nov 2018)

“UK hgv driving in America on H2A visa”
(Big John from England been going over on H2A harvest visa past 8yrs)

Don’t be thinking there’s a fortune to be made but money decent enough if you get dry weather and great “adventure”!!!

Big Truck:

onyerbike:

Big Truck:

onyerbike:

“Harvest support USA-UK”
(They have vacancies for drivers to go over short term for fall harvest Sept-Nov 2018)

Don’t be thinking there’s a fortune to be made but money decent enough if you get weather and great “adventure”!!!

Thanks mate, thanks for your help, much appreciated, gives me plenty to think about.
Also just googled Harvest truck driver…shocked by how much come up.

don’t forget some states hire dump drivers for the summer highway .season iirc MN ,same sort thing as harvest job… I’m sure a certain member will tell you how he did it …harvest one year then highway maintenance the following season.

JIMBO47:
don’t forget some states hire dump drivers for the summer highway .season iirc MN ,same sort thing as harvest job… I’m sure a certain member will tell you how he did it …harvest one year then highway maintenance the following season.

Going back a few years my sister was married to a Kiwi, his younger brother was a keen snowboarder, spent the whole year following the snow around the world, worked on the piste groomers etc…happy as larry, didn’t really care how much he got paid, he was able to snowboard every day and thats all that mattered to him, shame I lost touch with them!

onyerbike:

Big Truck:

onyerbike:

Big Truck:

onyerbike:

“Harvest support USA-UK”

Don’t be thinking there’s a fortune to be made but money decent enough if you get weather and great “adventure”!!!

Thanks mate, thanks for your help, much appreciated, gives me plenty to think about.
Also just googled Harvest truck driver…shocked by how much come up.

There are stacks of vids on YouTube ref what the craic is,
Just search “Custom Cutter wheat harvest” or “Harvest USA/Canada”.

uschi.com
Any amount of temp harvest truck driving jobs on there in “classified”,
Look for Cutters offering H2A visa.

Your a bit late for 2018 but plenty of time to research for 2019.[emoji6]

Can you handle a “Pete 359” and the Eaton Roadranger 18sp!!![emoji847]

A

JIMBO47:

Don’t think the H2A harvest visa would cover the aul dumptruck work though Jimbo lad!!![emoji6]

[/quote]

“Harvest support USA-UK”

Don’t be thinking there’s a fortune to be made ]There are stacks of vids on YouTube ref what the craic is,
Just search “Custom Cutter wheat harvest” or “Harvest USA/Canada”.

uschi.com
Any amount of temp harvest truck driving jobs on there in “classified”,
Look for Cutters offering H2A visa.

Your a bit late for 2018 but plenty of time to research for 2019.[emoji6]

Can you handle a “Pete 359” and the Eaton Roadranger 18sp!!![emoji847]

A
[/quote]
Sure I’d be fine…been a few years since I danced with a gearbox though!
I got a few years practice before the automatics were the only thing available…just after passing my test, driving on the agency for one of the supermarkets, I was used to Volvo 4 over 4 or Scania 3 over 3…they tried to give me an old ERF with Eaton twin splitter because noone.else wanted to drive it…if someone reminded me how to drive one now I’m a bit more experienced, sure Id be fine.

duh!

Big Truck:

JIMBO47:

Don’t think the H2A harvest visa would cover the aul dumptruck work though Jimbo lad!!![emoji6]

its not the h2a one its similar, our mutual friend MW did this before coming up to the “dark side” …saw some o the MN highways jobs advertised online :smiley: for non citizens max lenght of contract 52wks. just looked Again H2B is the one.

JIMBO47:

Big Truck:

JIMBO47:

its not the h2a one its similar, our mutual friend MW did this before coming up to the “dark side” …saw some o the MN highways jobs advertised online :smiley: for non citizens max lenght of contract 52wks. just looked Again H2B is the one.

Ah good job,
“MW” that the ex Shankill Rd fella!!!

:smiley: :smiley: :laughing:

onyerbike:
I was used to Volvo 4 over 4 or Scania 3 over 3……they tried to give me an old ERF with Eaton twin splitter because noone.else wanted to drive it…if someone reminded me how to drive one now I’m a bit more experienced, sure Id be fine.

You’ll be fine as long as you can do all those 3 at the same time…

kyk:

onyerbike:
I was used to Volvo 4 over 4 or Scania 3 over 3……they tried to give me an old ERF with Eaton twin splitter because noone.else wanted to drive it…if someone reminded me how to drive one now I’m a bit more experienced, sure Id be fine.

You’ll be fine as long as you can do all those 3 at the same time…

Hahaha…thanks mate.
:smiling_face:

Any of these companies allow drivers to take their partners with them on trips?
I know Agri Tel does, but what about others?