Can your office/TM tell you when to take your 45?

Star down under.:
I’d suggest if a driver cannot drive for ~4hrs from the start of a shift, said driver was not fit enough to start the shift.

Not really.

You can take ill during the course of your first 4 hour stint, and a 45 minute break may be all you need to put you right.

I have been a migraine sufferer for a lot of years, and I find that once I have taken something to quell it, a short break once I feel tablets kicking in, will get me through it.

Ken.

rob22888:

Macski:

rob22888:
I’ve had jobs where you get a run sheet with breaks planned in, I never really took a great deal of notice. The way I look at it, so long as you have the truck where is needs to be at the right times, it doesn’t make a jot of difference to the office when you are taking a break so just have it when you want.

The only exception would be if you are carrying high value goods, in which case they might want you to stop in designated places and/or when empty which is fair enough.

Some firms want you to take your break while being unloaded/reloaded on a bay.

If you are not doing anything whilst on the bay, I have never considered that as an unreasonable request.

In fact i’d suggest it’s unreasonable for a driver to sit about for however long chilling out waiting, then expect to want to park up and do nothing for a further 45 mins afterwards. Only exception would be if you were condemned to an RDC waiting room, but then i’d still book a break and just stop afterwards long enough to eat my dinner in peace.

I suppose it depends on the type of firm you work for…ie a reap what they sow type scenario.
If they are good with you and treat you as a grown up, you tend to bend a bit, if not you do things by the book…
When you’re on a bay you are technically (if not pedantically) working. :bulb:
Also if you take your break on the bay on an hourly rate you are essentially losing 45 mins pay.
What I do from time to time, is take a ‘‘tacho break’’ on the bay, but make sure I take a ‘‘proper’’ break afterwards if and when I feel the need…tiredness or getting hungry etc.

As I said, breaks are there for a driver’s protection and welfare, not used for a ■■■■ planner to get an extra drop in or something to make a name for himself.

Quinny:

Star down under.:
I’d suggest if a driver cannot drive for ~4hrs from the start of a shift, said driver was not fit enough to start the shift.

Not really.

You can take ill during the course of your first 4 hour stint, and a 45 minute break may be all you need to put you right.

I have been a migraine sufferer for a lot of years, and I find that once I have taken something to quell it, a short break once I feel tablets kicking in, will get me through it.

Ken.

I’d let that slide, it’s more an exceptional situation, rather than an everyday occurrence.

robroy:

rob22888:

Macski:

rob22888:
I’ve had jobs where you get a run sheet with breaks planned in, I never really took a great deal of notice. The way I look at it, so long as you have the truck where is needs to be at the right times, it doesn’t make a jot of difference to the office when you are taking a break so just have it when you want.

The only exception would be if you are carrying high value goods, in which case they might want you to stop in designated places and/or when empty which is fair enough.

Some firms want you to take your break while being unloaded/reloaded on a bay.

If you are not doing anything whilst on the bay, I have never considered that as an unreasonable request.

In fact i’d suggest it’s unreasonable for a driver to sit about for however long chilling out waiting, then expect to want to park up and do nothing for a further 45 mins afterwards. Only exception would be if you were condemned to an RDC waiting room, but then i’d still book a break and just stop afterwards long enough to eat my dinner in peace.

I suppose it depends on the type of firm you work for…ie a reap what they sow type scenario.
If they are good with you and treat you as a grown up, you tend to bend a bit, if not you do things by the book…
When you’re on a bay you are technically (if not pedantically) working. :bulb:
Also if you take your break on the bay on an hourly rate you are essentially losing 45 mins pay.
What I do from time to time, is take a ‘‘tacho break’’ on the bay, but make sure I take a ‘‘proper’’ break afterwards if and when I feel the need…tiredness or getting hungry etc.

As I said, breaks are there for a driver’s protection and welfare, not used for a [zb] planner to get an extra drop in or something to make a name for himself.

If sat on a bay and not involved, then you aren’t technically working, perfectly legal to book a break, it’s not bending any rules at all.

If I’m deducted 45 then I’ll have that 45, but I’ll also always put it on break when waiting about, it gives you more scope where and when you take your 45

^^^^^^^
Yeh?..but where exactly did I say it was illegal??
I used the words ‘technically’ and ‘pedantically’.
I get money deducted for my break, so if I sat on a bay with my finger up my arse on break mode, instead of stopping somewhere of choice to sit down to a meal, or even an undisturbed kip rather than a potentially disturbed one, or one by having to keep one eye open for a green light, I would not get paid for it. :bulb: …so as I said 'TECHNICALLY ’ not on break, but working, although as YOU said, not illegal.

I also.said I also do that sometimes,… a ‘tacho’ break followed by a ‘genuine’ break, but if my time ran out before I had time to take a proper break,. I would have lost 45 mins pay whilst technically working… not happened yet btw.

I work for a firm that treats you like an adult ,
Free to chose when I have a break and where to park

stevieboy308:
As I said, breaks are there for a driver’s protection and welfare, not used for a [zb] planner to get an extra drop in or something to make a name for himself.

If sat on a bay and not involved, then you aren’t technically working, perfectly legal to book a break, it’s not bending any rules at all.

If I’m deducted 45 then I’ll have that 45, but I’ll also always put it on break when waiting about, it gives you more scope where and when you take your 45
[/quote]
It may be legal but often impractical if you want to take a nap with all the rattling, banging and rocking going on inside your trailer. If I’m paid the break - again, no issues with it but if I’m not then I’ll have it on my own terms when/as I see fit

robroy:
^^^^^^^
I get money deducted for my break, so if I sat on a bay with my finger up my arse on break mode, instead of stopping somewhere of choice to sit down to a meal, or even an undisturbed kip rather than a potentially disturbed one, or one by having to keep one eye open for a green light, I would not get paid for it. :bulb: …so as I said 'TECHNICALLY ’ not on break, but working, although as YOU said, not illegal.

I also.said I also do that sometimes,… a ‘tacho’ break followed by a ‘genuine’ break, but if my time ran out before I had time to take a proper break,. I would have lost 45 mins pay whilst technically working… not happened yet btw.

So just to be clear…when you said technically, you didn’t actually mean technically■■?

As I said, if I’m deducted 45, then I’ll have a 45 of my choosing, but I’ll still put it on break whilst on a bay as technically it’s not working and I’m perfectly legal, not bending any rules in doing so!

ETS:

stevieboy308:

It may be legal but often impractical if you want to take a nap with all the rattling, banging and rocking going on inside your trailer. If I’m paid the break - again, no issues with it but if I’m not then I’ll have it on my own terms when/as I see fit
[/quote]
That’s what I said in my last paragraph!

stevieboy308:

robroy:
^^^^^^^

So just to be clear…when you said technically, you didn’t actually mean technically■■?

As I said, if I’m deducted 45, then I’ll have a 45 of my choosing, but I’ll still put it on break whilst on a bay as technically it’s not working and I’m perfectly legal, not bending any rules in doing so!

Aye ok mate. :neutral_face:
Tbh I think you knew/know EXACTLY what I mean., but if you want the last word it’s yours. :smiley:

Strange it’s turned into an argument, or more of a tiff,.especially as we are both (dare I say 'tecnically :smiley: ) agreeing and singing from the same hymn sheet.

I must have landed on my feet after going back to pull whisky tanks. All breaks paid and i decide when i stop and i dont get any trouble. My start finish times are up to me also.

A transport manager can tell me what he wants ,but They does not mean I am going to do it :laughing:

ETS:
Say you have a regular run 4hr or so drive then break after arrival but you feel like taking the break before/earlier (you dont have 4hr drive back but less cause you’re taking a shorter way back)
Can they??

I believe you are already told when to take a break, the fact you are governed by you driving hours, says you should take a Break after the first period expires and so on. years ago it was you drove 4 hour and took a 1/2 hour break, No one complained and everyone was relatively happy.

cav551:
The supermarkets tend to want you to take your break at the RDC or at the Store. Those doing high street shops and filling stations where you cannot park are not normally out long enough, but not always. There are stores which don’t have canteen facilities however.

I work for a supermarket & never been told where or when to have my break, we get our breaks paid & as long as we stay legal we’re left alone where breaks are concerned, the last place I’d take my break is at the RDC, far too noisy, crap food in canteen & having to listen to drivers moaning about one thing or another.