Can you work HGVs and still have a family life

I appreciate that everyone has their opinion and people with inside knowledge willalways point out the negatives of any job, But honestly if it was that bad would people stay and do it?

People like build5 constantly slam the job and tell you how crap their work lives are etc…but he could could see his remaining 10 years out stacking shelves like he is telling everyone to do if it was that bad, If you are that miserable then show yourself the door and stop spreading your poison please.
By all means tell people what the job includes and what you can expect but leave your hatred for it out.
People invest alot of their time and money, they come here to look for advice and all they read is that negativity, its soul destroying for someone trapped in a job they already hate and exploring options.

Are Police over worked and underpaid…YES
NHS…YES
Prison staff…YES
Your every day office staff…YES
Fire Serive…YES
the list is endless…

Show people the ropes, tell them the best/safest way to do the job…dont poison peoples minds…This attitude drivers have baffles me.

People go on about money, I earnt £40k+ a year…did i have any more money than me earning 21K a year now…No.
Obviously some people couldnt do on my current salary but you get my point.
Your telling someone the money etc is rubbish, they may only earn 20k a year now…in which case can they make more driving a truck…Yes…Easily.

FACT’s is what people want here in the NEW and Wanna be section…not opinions. People are trying to make important life decisions. just cause your miserable doesnt nean everyone else will be.

not all aimed at build btw

SquireT:
The question is no different from many others plenty of jobs of there, many to suit a range of lifestyles, is the nice social hours, great pay and so no going to be easy to get, not a chance but likely to find a job you enjoy and suits you well enough most of the time.

Build5, you seem very bitter for somebody at the start of the career, maybe its not the job for you afterall

Bitter… Not at all!

Absolutely disgusted with the way small and large companies treat drivers? Yes.

Without naming names (some large companies and some independents) let me give you a quick run down of my experiences:

Strapping (class 2) - it’s fine mate, we’re paid extra for AM deliveries, the XL curtains are fine.

Strapping (class 1) - nah, it’s fine, it’s dead heavy and we’ve got XL curtains.

Strapping (class 1) - quick! just pull the curtains! we’ll be here all day otherwise!

Hours - (class 1) yeah, we’re going to be close here. You might want to pull your card soon, the firm will cover the extra mileage

Breaks - (class 1 and 2) bang it on break now. We’ll lose time - while we’re still doing curtains, strapping, unloading

Walkaround checks - the bulbs are out for trailer number plate - yeah, it’s fine, just mark it down they were working and if DVSA stop you, say it must have just happened

Walkaround checks - WARNING! engine fault - yeah, it always does that in the morning, it’ll clear up in a bit.

I could go on…

But apparently I’m the problem and it might not be the job for me?

See, the thing is, I did my research I know, I’m going to get thrown under the bus. I know I’m going to get fined. I know I’ll lose my licence. All for the princely sum of £10 or £11 an hour.

Sod that. Morrisons are offering every member of staff a minimum of £10 an hour. I could clean toilets and be home for 5pm and get staff discount as well!

Truck driving is a skilled vocational job. It needs to pay more for the risk of losing your licence, the hours involved, and the skill level of the job. It doesn’t

What you don’t need is managers knowingly pressuring new driver into doing things that are illegal and will risk their HGV licence but not their operators licence.

So what’s the right job for me?..

A company that runs straight and pays living wage based on a 40 hours week, not a living wage based on doing 50-70 hours a week.

But we can’t afford to pay a living wage based on 40 hours! You have to work 60 and more hours a week! No, we don’t. Somebody in the supply chain either needs to release their profit margin or end user prices need to be increased. It’s that simple.

Driver shortage? do you wonder why?

But yeah, it’s probably just not the job for me because I expect rules to be followed not circumvented at the expense of others while you remain clean.

Most of the lads start in the early hours…and start rolling back into the yard…mid morning.
They’re well paid for it…but I couldn’t make it fit.
I volunteered to go on Permanent pm starts…which generally means dinner time.
Suits me,beautifuly.
Usually home around 11/midnight…meaning a natural sleep pattern.
No load interaction
As said above,though…you’ll probably have to eat ■■■■ for a while…and even then,there’s no guarantee of finding a decent number.

Build5:
Strapping (class 2) - it’s fine mate, we’re paid extra for AM deliveries, the XL curtains are fine.

Strapping (class 1) - nah, it’s fine, it’s dead heavy and we’ve got XL curtains.

Strapping (class 1) - quick! just pull the curtains! we’ll be here all day otherwise!

You don`t actually say what the load is here? Sometimes XL Curtains are quite sufficient.

Build5:
Hours - (class 1) yeah, we’re going to be close here. You might want to pull your card soon, the firm will cover the extra mileage

Absolutely agree here. No way should anyone be doing that.

Build5:
Walkaround checks - WARNING! engine fault - yeah, it always does that in the morning, it’ll clear up in a bit.

Admit I might well simply cover myself, then just crack on with it. If a dash fault is a known false alarm…God knows there are enough of them…then carry on with your day.
Any new warning I inform office, but we all know there are lots of false ones now.

Franglais:

Build5:

You don`t actually say what the load is here? Sometimes XL Curtains are quite sufficient.

Build5:

Build5:

Admit I might well simply cover myself, then just crack on with it. If a dash fault is a known false alarm…God knows there are enough of them…then carry on with your day.
Any new warning I inform office, but we all know there are lots of false ones now.

XL curtains are sufficient - try that with DVSA. You have internal straps for a reason and if that isn’t sufficient then it should be strapped to the frictional strength of the deck.

We didn’t even mention forward or reverse load tolerances…but let’s leave that to one side. But trust me, DVSA won’t.

Warning lights just crack on - what does the LAW state? Who’s at fault if they’re stopped? Who’s getting fined?..Yeah, all for a tenner an hour.

Pulling your card - you and I both know it happens on the regular. It’s wrong.

The whole system is wrong when the office turn a blind eye and drivers or Driver trainers encourage this behaviour.

I’ve walked off seven jobs (class 2 and 1) because they expected me to break the law.

I’m dying to work for a firm that plays it straight. I know the hours are long. I don’t expect a V8 scanny all to myself.

I expect the law to be respected and not use me as a disposable asset to carry the can for your failings or profit.

I know trucking is hard with wafer thin margins. You shouldn’t be using drivers to break the law and carry the can. It’s wrong.

I appreciate that everyone has their opinion and people with inside knowledge willalways point out the negatives of any job, But honestly if it was that bad would people stay and do it?

Inside knowledge…?

LOL…you mean people that actually work in the industry and can tell you what’s it’s like

People stay and do it because they either didn’t work hard at school or ended up in another dead job. They do it because they have to. They break the law every day in the hope they won’t get caught just to pay their rent and put food on the table for their kids. Prove me wrong. Show me a driver with qualifications in another field who gave it all up to risk his new job working for a firm that runs bent for minimum wage after all the investment he made?

People like build5 constantly slam the job and tell you how crap their work lives are etc…but he could could see his remaining 10 years out stacking shelves like he is telling everyone to do if it was that bad, If you are that miserable then show yourself the door and stop spreading your poison please.
By all means tell people what the job includes and what you can expect but leave your hatred for it out.
People invest alot of their time and money, they come here to look for advice and all they read is that negativity, its soul destroying for someone trapped in a job they already hate and exploring options.

People like Build5…tell you what it’s really like after spending several thousand pounds of his own money. After working for large firms and local firms.

There’s a certain youtuber who I watched develop over time from a brand new driver. I got offered a job with the same firm. A very large well known firm. I walked out of “induction” on day two…lol Don’t even get me started on that little wheeze!
Yep, a large recognised company with lovely shiny trucks expecting me to haul “difficult” loads after “training” using a booklet chucked at you and then you sign a form saying you’ve been “trained” because they gave you the book.

And as it happens…they were offering less than £11 an hour for these “difficult” loads.

And yes, I still keep my options open and am looking at supermarkets stacking shelves if it pays more. I’m not so stupid I’d drive a truck if another opportunity paid me more and gave me a better work/life balance.

I keep an eye on the TC PI’s website because I just know they’re going to be in there very soon. I’m just interested to see who’s going to be pinned for it. My money is on the driver.

Are Police over worked and underpaid…YES
NHS…YES
Prison staff…YES
Your every day office staff…YES
Fire Serive…YES
the list is endless…

NONE of that list is expected to break the law or deviate from their legal duties. Truck drivers are expected to break the law daily and use the “law of averages” of getting caught. NONE of those employers would expect their employees to break or circumvent it as a natural part of their job.

Show people the ropes, tell them the best/safest way to do the job…don’t poison peoples minds…This attitude drivers have baffles me.

Show people the ropes - as you understand them?..You broke the law, so I’m showing you how to break the law?

People go on about money, I earnt £40k+ a year…did i have any more money than me earning 21K a year now…No.
Obviously some people couldnt do on my current salary but you get my point.
Your telling someone the money etc is rubbish, they may only earn 20k a year now…in which case can they make more driving a truck…Yes…Easily.

Talk about HOURS WORKED. Tell me HOW MANY HOURS you worked (including nights in the truck) to get that money. Talk about the failed marriages, the failed relationships, no social life…If you’re going to tell a story at least be honest and tell the whole story. Tell us HOW MANY HOURS (including nights out) a week to make 40k

The same youtuber talked about his ‘take home pay’…hulloo…errr I earnt loaaaddsss of munnnny as a trucker this week!!

No mate, you didn’t. You worked LOTS of hours in a week which made your take home look just above average wage without divulging the fact you cracked up 60+ hours and spent the remainder of the week sleeping in a box being an unpaid security guard for the load at the side of the road because your boss was too tight and thought that little of you, you weren’t even worth a SNAP card.

…and I’ll guarantee every time you unloaded you banged it on break.

FACT’S is what people want here in the NEW and Wannabe section…not opinions. People are trying to make important life decisions. just cause your miserable doesnt nean everyone else will be.

FACT is, people need to hear the truth from other people who gained their licences, aren’t as thick as two short planks, value their home life, have worked in the industry, aren’t willing to risk that several thousand pound investment on day one for for scummy firm (large or small) willing to throw you under the bus for a load. And yes, can tell it as it is.

not all aimed at build btw

Not all aimed at me? Aim away!
Prove me wrong mate.
Tell me or show me what I’ve said is false.
I’ve walked out of MAJOR companies and small local firms because what they were doing is wrong.
As a brand new driver, if you’re prepared to risk your licence because your driver trainer said it was okay even though deep down inside you knew it was wrong, guess who gets F£$CKED?.. YOU. JUST YOU. YOU’RE LOSING YOU’RE LICENCE…their operator licence will be fine because you signed a bit of paper saying you understood how to load that steel or concrete or other “difficult” load even though you’ve never even seen a piece of steel. You signed the form didn’t you. You agreed you were “trained” and “competent” after looking at a bit of paper.
“difficult loads” require far more than looking at a bit of paper and signing it off.
Ask an experienced driver that deals with steel or concrete. They’ll tell you it requires a high degree of skill, experience and knowledge that can’t be taught from flicking through a few pages of a manual.
Chances are, your “driver trainer” never inserted his card in ‘slot 2’ because he needed those hours to work that night.
…A lot of what I’m saying might be falling into place for some other guys!
There was a time when people used to say trainers had to be ‘made cheap’ and that was just the way it was. Then a few children’s charities got involved and pointed out that the only way we got our cheap trainers or T shirts was because people were being exploited.
I keep a very close eye on the TC decisions website. You should too.
gov.uk/government/latest?de … missioners
I want to work hard and legal. Is that too much to ask?
Comparing my hourly rate to a toilet cleaner or shelf stacker is justified. We all go to work to earn money, not to sit in a truck. If you think I’m wrong, you’re a bit of an idiot. If I paid you £50 an hour to count boxes can you honestly tell me you’d drive a truck for £11 an hour?
The job of a truck driver is hard. It has a lot of skill involved and requires a high degree of focus. It’s being sold as any old dimwit can do it if he’s willing to spend a few grand and risk it all for a load of pallets.
It shouldn’t be this way.
Truck drivers should be valued. You seem to be suggesting they shouldn’t be valued and you should be glad you’ve got a job pushing around a big truck.
If that’s what you’re suggesting, you’re an idiot of the first order. Driving the truck is the least of your worries when it comes to DVSA and regulations.

Drive waste artics for independents and veolia, grundon etc as a lot of landfills and the like are only open 8am till 4pm so relatively normal day hours could be done.

Build5:

Franglais:

Build5:

Build5:

Build5:

XL curtains are sufficient - try that with DVSA. You have internal straps for a reason and if that isn’t sufficient then it should be strapped to the frictional strength of the deck.

We didn’t even mention forward or reverse load tolerances…but let’s leave that to one side. But trust me, DVSA won’t.

Warning lights just crack on - what does the LAW state? Who’s at fault if they’re stopped? Who’s getting fined?..Yeah, all for a tenner an hour.

Pulling your card - you and I both know it happens on the regular. It’s wrong.

The whole system is wrong when the office turn a blind eye and drivers or Driver trainers encourage this behaviour.

I’ve walked off seven jobs (class 2 and 1) because they expected me to break the law.

I’m dying to work for a firm that plays it straight. I know the hours are long. I don’t expect a V8 scanny all to myself.

I expect the law to be respected and not use me as a disposable asset to carry the can for your failings or profit.

I know trucking is hard with wafer thin margins. You shouldn’t be using drivers to break the law and carry the can. It’s wrong.

.movingon.blog.gov.uk/2014/09/22 … -vehicles/
“So you would not need to use additional lashing or other load security solutions, as long as you have loaded the goods with a positive fit:”

Errr…No thanks. I won`t “trust you”

“Pulling the card” is a regular occurrence?
Not in my experience.

Build5 seems to be getting a bit of stick here, but to be fair most of what he/she posts is accurate.

Firstly, for the vast majority on this section of the forum, it’s exciting times. Working towards C2 & then maybe C1 is a rewarding/challenging/exciting experience. Once you start driving lorries it’s a great feeling, you are sat high up, there is a sense of responsibility & you earn more than your mates in warehouses. There is without a novelty factor which with artics is quite high in my experience.

6 to 12 months down the line however, the novelty starts wearing thin & the family life starts getting compromised. Long hours away from the partner &/or kids WILL take it’s toll on your family. Without realising it, YOU may also start getting tired/stressed & generally ■■■■■■ off with lorry life. A lot of it is down to how YOU see the job. Yes you are told during training etc about the importance of checks, tacho rules, highway code etc…but once you are actually IN the job a lot of what Build5 types is sadly typical and accurate.

Many firms both large & small seem to have differing views on amber warnings. " It will be alright it’s just a DAF, they all do that " or " just put in a defect for it at the END of the shift " etc. Unfortunately in this industry, most of the time with most employers you simply are A BUM ON A SEAT FOR £10 -£11 PER HOUR. The job IS dangerous & many lorry drivers are killed each year, sadly one of PD Bannister’s drivers sadly lost his life this week on the M62 near Rochdale. You are treated like crap by other motorists and if you give anyone any kind of aggression or hand signals, you WILL be filmed & grassed up to your firm, so expect to take it up the jacksy. You WILL get brake tested by morons on the road who through there own ignorance breach lane discipline etc but actually think it’s YOUR crap driving to blame.

If you have an interest in the environment or/and have pride in cleanliness you WILL despair at the sheer amount of litter, bottles of ■■■■ and human excrement littered around slip roads & laybys. You WILL notice many other ’ professional lorry drivers ’ texting on their phones & watching films whilst driving. You will get in many wagons allocated to you on any particular day & be fed up with how filthy the majority are inside.

Juddian picked up on a few salient points (he is a wise & experienced lorry steerer and it would be prudent to heed his sage advice), specialist work is often the best paid with nicer wagons usually driven by intelligent drivers with a bit of pride about them. If you want to be lazy, general haulage is the place to be. Fifth wheel grease everywhere, nose contents wiped on the side of seats, rotting food in all sorts of crevices/lockers/behind seats & generally an overall smell of BO, ■■■■ and ■■■■■.

In summary in my experience, if you are intelligent, clean, have an interest in obeying rules, give a toss about others and the environment and don’t want your partner to leave you or have an affair and would like to know your children, be VERY wary of lorry steering. Like in most industries you have to earn your stripes, but in this game the sheer amount of filthy and lazy pigs is enough to put many off. A quick visit to the toilets at most delivery points will soon enlighten you, that’s assuming you have not noticed the thousands of ■■■■ bottles lining your route in the first place. For me the wise amongst any reading this post would NOT invest in lorry steering and instead get into construction instead.

If you think i’m a stranger to 15 hour days, long hours, failed marriage, even more failed relationships, time away from family and friends then your wrong. The thing is, I have gone through those due to MY life choices, I’m not sat here blaming every tom ■■■■ and harry for my life decisions or i job i chose to do , If i’ve had enough of something, well go and do something else, life is to short for your hatred to a job, you’ll put yourself in an early grave man.

You say you arnt stupid enough to drive a truck if another oppertunity didnt present itself, yet you are still here…DRIVING A TRUCK…If the wages are that poor, go on indeed,totaljobs, reed and apply for everything on there which pays a salary you need (take that down to the barebones and i bet its less than you think) If you have anything about you, you will have a job within a week. Trust me, I do it quite regular. (Don’t get confused here and simply thing i would putmyself out of employment,not the case, I will always make sure i have another job to go to)

If someone asks you to break to the law, its quiet simple “Can i have that in writing please sir/ma’am?” Watch the request simply dissapear…or better still when they do put it in writing…still refuse to do it and take that and show it to whoever needs to see it…Then as a “highly skilled” truck driver…off to the next place you go. You have rights as an employee, you cant simply be shown the door for refusing to break to law. If that has happened to you and you failed to collect the evidence and persue that…well i dont need to say any more.

I can give you a few examples of over work underpaid but ill just start with 1. I spent 7 months in Afghanistan (twice), i was a private on about 21k a year the first time. I didnt have a day off for 7 months apart from my generic 10 days RR during the tour. I was awake for days a time and when i was asleep…well your never really properly asleep…my P60 that year said 28k (with additional bonuses etc)…
Was i overpaid and underworked?
Some of you here wouldnt get out of bed for that. Am i bitter about it…no…was it worth a marriage in the end (which did end)…no…

SO I LEFT.

You say noone on that list is expected to break to law…Take of the blinkers please mate. Truck drivers arnt the only hard done by profession out there.

I currently do 45 hours a week 10 hour days although an hour is unpaid, but im still out at work for 10 hours, 30 mins comute iether side, we are talking 11 hours a day im away from home. I earn 21.5K a year (BASIC)…Am I overworked and underpaid…YES…Am i comfertable on my salary…Yes(much to my suprise like i say when ive earnt nearly double in the past), I pay all my bills and still manage to put some money away every month and in kent…it’s not a particully cheap area to live…am i happy with my job…no…so im doing something about it…you should to.

If you have 10 years until you retire, you clearly arnt a spring chicken and must have been around the block a few times…You clearly have spent your life resenting YOUR life choices, you are bitter and hateful and that is what is holding you back.

More fool you if you risk your licence, if you say no good on you (which is what i think you have pointed out you do), you have a pair of ■■■■■■■■.

I’m not personally digging you out, I respect that you have alot of experience in the industry, I respect you may have been mistreated at times, I respect that things can most definatly be better…Not just for drivers…for everyone…But let people make their own OPINIONS. New people are here asking for advise, how do they get the first job? what is the best way to start? to gain expereince? what types of jobs there are, for what types of company. Because they WANT to do the job, They dont want to know everytime a prick of a TM asked you to do something you wernt happy with and you didnt have to ■■■■■■■■ to tell him to ■■■■ off…Or when you got pulled by DVSA and YOU had done something wrong by not strapping a load because YOU crumbled to pressue. By all means, people need to know it happens. But whats the best thing to do to a)stop it happening b) what to do if it does happen. And saying dont do the job isnt what people want to hear

I’m not here to prove you wrong or anything like that, I’m not saying your wrong about anything, I’m saying you need to address your problems…because thats what they are…Yours

One of my neighbours works for Brakes. I’ve lived here nearly 10 years and he has several kids and is home every night. One my girlfriend’s neighbours is a Class 1 driver and doesn’t go tramping and regularly has us granddaughter overnight. I like tramping but I know it’s not for everyone. You’ll be grand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youtu.be/8Dpc61eI8eQ

youtu.be/fQL2tDM5luo

youtu.be/LOTMpiyDkdE

youtu.be/GXp_70VJ2Wo

youtu.be/M3YLkiRWSiw

All well known issues within the industry. Pretty much what I’ve said here.

He’s got hundreds of videos of firms knowingly breaking the law and putting on drivers. His advice to us drivers - Grow a pair! STOP putting up with this crap.

Time and again he says very clearly “operators are throwing their drivers under the bus”. We’re the idiots that are going to court and public inquiries for the princely sum of£10-£11 an hour.

Now do you see why working in a supermarket for £10 an hour is so attractive?

But yeah, I get to sit in a big truck so it must be worth it :slight_smile:

eagerbeaver:
you earn more than your mates in warehouse

Is this what a lorry driver is? A warehouse worker on wheels?

It seems emoloyers are trying to sell the job as worthless and DVSA have a very different idea.

Everything else eager beaver said is pretty much spot on.

I’ve got 3 kids all under 5 and currently work nights doing RFC work. Easiest job I have ever had, max 4 hours driving, 2 or 3 drops with at most, 10 cages per drop, often just 1.

£12ph, and I sleep for at least 2 hours of that.

11pm starts, 7am finish. Home to see kids before schools, then sleep, wake up and see kids in the evening. Relax with the missus and as I leave for work, she goes to bed. I can even watch the football before work!

Currently doing 4 days a week. Could do 5 but 4 works. It’s not all about the money right now and I’m very happy with the balance.

Won’t be doing nights forever and plan to get my class 1 soon, with one eye on doing Class 1 for the same company.

I’m off every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night which I am sure most will agree is pretty ■■■■ good.

M65Chris:
I’ve got 3 kids all under 5 and currently work nights doing RFC work. Easiest job I have ever had, max 4 hours driving, 2 or 3 drops with at most, 10 cages per drop, often just 1.

11pm starts, 7am finish. Home to see kids before schools, then sleep, wake up and see kids in the evening. Relax with the missus and as I leave for work, she goes to bed. I can even watch the football before work!

Currently doing 4 days a week. Could do 5 but 4 works. It’s not all about the money right now and I’m very happy with the balance.

Won’t be doing nights forever and plan to get my class 1 soon, with one eye on doing Class 1 for the same company.

I’m off every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night which I am sure most will agree is pretty ■■■■ good.

And that’s not bad for an unskilled worker. Do you consider yourself unskilled?

Ask yourself how much it would cost you to get a plumber, electrician, locksmith, vehicle locksmith out after 5pm?

£12 an hour…and the rest!

Now do you see why I wouldn’t advise any of my kids to follow me into this “trade” it’s not even being sold as a trade. You’re a body. Nothing more.

I know truckers are worth more.

It seems some of you guys are saying we’re not.

Build5:

M65Chris:

And that’s not bad for an unskilled worker. Do you consider yourself unskilled?

Ask yourself how much it would cost you to get a plumber, electrician, locksmith, vehicle locksmith out after 5pm?

£12 an hour…and the rest!

Now do you see why I wouldn’t advise any of my kids to follow me into this “trade” it’s not even being sold as a trade. You’re a body. Nothing more.

I know truckers are worth more.

It seems some of you guys are saying we’re not.

Take your several thousand pounds training money and put it to better use elsewhere.

Somewhere the employer isn’t going to abuse you and make you do things he knows are illegal but is happy for you to do it knowing it’s your license and livelihood at risk, not theirs.

So much doom and gloom :unamused: . Most of the drivers on here are thick as pig [zb] and should be ignored. Nearly all of them are trampers working for a logistics company on a salary and expected to work 70 hours a week sleeping in their tin box in ■■■■-ridden laybys. When you accept that as being the norm then the above bitter posts are to be expected as none of them have a family life - wife will be being banged by their best mate or neighbour while they’re away doing their 70 hours for £600 a week. Some will even buy them a fluffy hot water bottle to keep them company.

There’s plenty of decent work out there with low hours and reasonable pay enabling you to live a comfortable lifestyle financially and still see your kids/wife/mates. I’m currently flitting between driving for Royal Mail and FedEx on nights. RM £17-21 per hour averaging around 10 hours per shift, FedEx £120 per shift 8.30pm start and in my car on my way home at 4am with 2 of those hours spent asleep at the hub. With the latter I don’t even see the load. Just stick a padlock on the back door and off you go. No straps or any other bull[zb] involved. Don’t even have to reverse it on a bay, shunter does it.

Like everything in the work life, if you want the good stuff you have to apply and prove yourself. No-one’s going to offer it to you on a plate and you won’t usually see these type of jobs on Indeed website. Most drivers are too bone idle to get up off their fat arses and don’t have the nous to better themselves, so they continue in the deluded belief that having to live in a tin box for 6 days a week for their £600 is the pinnacle of truck driving.

If you enjoy/don’t mind driving and don’t possess any better skills with a greater earning potential, then truck steering isn’t a bad way to earn a crust - even more so if you have a naturally entrepeneurial mindset with the brains to actively seek out the good paying easy work.

Pay zero attention to build any new/wanna be drivers, he’s just a worn out bitter old man.

My first class 2 job is for a big company, start between 4-6am, if I’m home at 4pm I’m late and it’s a 35 minute commute. contracted 48 hours a week (I rarely hit 48 hours but still get paid for it) over time is available but never pressured/forced to do it , I’m on £35k a year(basic) works out to around £14ph…
33 days holiday a year which is a week more than I’ve had anywhere else.

Never been asked to break to law, company is straight as an arrow and will have a discipline tier if you break WTD/driving regs because it’s your responsibility to ensure you are compliant.
Most I have got is a call from the office asking for an ETA as the customer was asking where product was…I got stuck on the M25 for an hour…I was still back home on time as office told me to miss last 2 drops.

This is my first class 2 job straight in with no experience. I was told what the job was and entailed at the interview so I knew exactly what I was signing up to. Which compared to other work I have done is a doddle…and better paid.

Obviously I don’t get to see the kids in the morning…I see them every night, bath and bed time. And I go to bed with the Mrs every night at the same time…
It isn’t difficult to get a work life balance if you look for it…and it really isn’t that hard to find. If an offer doesn’t suit what you want don’t take it, if it means you may take slightly less money then such is life…we are all adults and can make well informed decisions. Although I think 35k is a bloody good wage.

I did have an interview at another outfit and the bloke seemed like a clown and the terms weren’t great…how anyone worked there baffled me…so I simply didn’t take the job.

I passed my test on the Wednesday. Started new job Monday the following week. There is tons of work there…you just have to be proactive and look for it. I used my initiative and phoned places to line up interviews for the day after my test…obviously on the basis I passed I had interviews lined up, I was upfront about this and I still had 4 interviews. Got offered 3 jobs by the end of the day.
I didn’t even have my licence back I had my pass certificate. Already had my taco card.

Soad, what happened to the £21k job? is that the one you didn’t take.
Result getting into the place you are now.

That was what I was doing before I had my licence. Had discussed with them about passing my test and they were happy to waiver my notice period so was able to start with this pretty much straight away.
Had a week in house training while my card licence CPC arrived and then was good to go out on the road.
Another week shadowing with another driver and been left to my own devices since.
Really enjoying it actually.

Lowest salary I got offered as class 2 was 27k which is what I turned down