Can you drive a unit without trailer on a class C?

For their category C1 (7.5 t) training vehicle my driving school had a truck which was originally plated at 10 tonnes but was down plated to 7.5 tonnes. As has been said unless you actually do this it would have been illegal to drive without a class C.

I guess with down plating there comes a point where the ULW is greater than 7.5 tons so you obviously wouldnt then be able to down plate the vehicle to 7.5?

dennisw1:
I guess with down plating there comes a point where the ULW is greater than 7.5 tons so you obviously wouldnt then be able to down plate the vehicle to 7.5?

Yes, although I’m not sure about the exact rules with regard to downplating.

I am certain that I have read (just cannot put my finger on it ) that the GVW includes the trailer even though it is not attached
Consequently the 7.5t limit would be broken even if the unit weighed just 6t as the additional weight of the absent trailer would be included - I know it sounds daft.
Hence the need to remove the 5th wheel and make the vehicle unable to attach a trailer and reduce the GVW to below 7.5t - handy for all the preservationists etc.
Happy to be torn to pices on this

But here’s another example.

On my Cat B licence, i can drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tons.

I can drive my Dads frontera which has a Towbar fitted, but i cant drive it with his caravan attached as it then takes the combined weight over 3.5 tons. For that i would need a B+E licence.

One would also assume you could drive a solo 17 tonner which has a tow coupling fitted for a wagon and drag combo on a Class C licence, but if you then couple up a drag over 750Kg you would need a C+E

dennisw1:
One would also assume you could drive a solo 17 tonner which has a tow coupling fitted for a wagon and drag combo on a Class C licence, but if you then couple up a drag over 750Kg you would need a C+E

Correct.