Can unmarked police stop you?

Apparently if you get flagged by an unmarked police car you can carry on to a place that you feel is safe to stop eg motorway services.The law was introduced to protect lone women drivers.They might not like it but what the hell if it ■■■■■■ plod off it cant all be bad can it.

You just got to say you wanted to " protect your honour you handsome hunk you" and flutter your eye lashes.

Tarrman:
So why is it you see trucks/vans with blue lights all over the cab? I thought it was illegal as above?

The law states that only white lights to the front, plus yellow for indicaters.

peterberbee:

Tarrman:
So why is it you see trucks/vans with blue lights all over the cab? I thought it was illegal as above?

You can display any colour to the front as long as it’s not red and it’s static

Tipper Tom:

peterberbee:

Tarrman:

What, precisely, do you mean by “static” - “not moving” or “not flashing”, or both? Because if it is “a device which resembles a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp, whether the same is in working order or not” (perhaps open to interpretation) then that is not technically legal on your average car. Every other forum I’ve looked at on this subject has people for and against blue lights on non-emergency vehicles so their legality is obviously quite unclear to many, including me now. Opinions must be backed up with valid facts.

Yes you can be stopped by an unmarked car … providing the officers are in uniform

Snudger:

Tipper Tom:

peterberbee:

Tarrman:

What, precisely, do you mean by “static” - “not moving” or “not flashing”, or both? Because if it is “a device which resembles a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp, whether the same is in working order or not” (perhaps open to interpretation) then that is not technically legal on your average car. Every other forum I’ve looked at on this subject has people for and against blue lights on non-emergency vehicles so their legality is obviously quite unclear to many, including me now. Opinions must be backed up with valid facts.

Static as in not flashing and having no flash option. I’ve blue LEDs on the front of my lorry an. I’ve had them in while old bill have been talking to me. We’ve had old bill in the garage because of this fake old bill car going about down here and we’ve asked the question because the bloke known the garage with has a classic police car and we were asking about lighting. If it’s liveried as a police car all blues must either have white lens or be covered. If it’s liveried as an ambulance blues are fine and they can flash etc but traffic laws must be obeyed. In terms of a solid blue light. There is no offence as long as it doesn’t flash

Conor:

jkl508:
static blue lights are fine provided they are not in place of side or marker lights, and key word is static.

Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 disagrees with you.

legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989 … rt/II/made

Restrictions on fitting blue warning beacons, special warning lamps and similar devices

1. No vehicle, other than an emergency vehicle, shall be fitted with—

(a)a blue warning beacon or special warning lamp, or
(b)a device which resembles a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp, whether the same is in working order or not.

Sorry Conor but I disagree with your interpretation of the vehicle lighting regulations.
When I refer to a ‘static blue light’ I’m talking about the small led type you see fitted on so many vehicles. They are not warning beacons or special warning lamps and do not resemble them.

You must understand what is an obligatory lamp I.e head lamp, position lamps side marker lamps etc. These are lamps required to be fitted by law to types of vehicles, then there optional lamps, not required by law but if fitted must conform to the regs. In these regulations I can see nothing that denotes what running lamps must be. They are defined as

“Running lamp” A lamp (not being a front position lamp, an end-outline marker lamp, headlamp or front fog lamp) used to make the presence of a moving motor vehicle readily visible from the front.

Vehicles obligatory and optional lamps are colour specific. They must be certain colours. So the people who put blue led bulbs in their side lights or marker lights are breaking the law.
When you add extra led lights (as long as they don’t fall into an optional lamp catepory) be it green or blue to your grill or bumper or roof then they are fine, they are running lights, as long as they do not breach any of the other regulations such as red light to the front or not showing a steady lights etc.

As long as they do not flash are static and do not resemble a warning beacon.

The wording you have picked out there talks about warning beacons, this stops anyone fitting a blue warning beacon to their vehicle and giving the impression it is an emergency vehicle, even if it is not plugged in and doesn’t even have a bulb in it.

If this were not the case then vosa would have a field day at night would they not?