can i do this

Terry Cooksey:

the maoster:

Terry Cooksey:

Old John:
Yes, you can be on duty on seven consecutive CALENDAR days, depending on what time you commenced duty on the first day. The regulations state that a driver cannot be on duty for more than six consecutive periods of 24 hrs, therefore, if for example you started on Your first day at 08.00hrs, you could still be on duty until 08.00 hrs on the seventh CALENDAR day following.
(This assumes that you had a full weekly rest at the end of your previous permitted shifts)
I think!!!

Wrong. After working on 6 days, you must begin a WEEKLY rest period. Even if you take a reduced weekly rest period, this must be at least 24 hours, therefore meaning you can work no part of the 7th day

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Wrong again. You must start a weekly rest period within 144 hours of ending one. Do the maths.

Finish weekly rest period, for example at 06:00 Monday. 144 hours (6 days, taking you to 06:00 Sunday) elapse, begin new weekly rest period, minimum of 24 hours (1 day) in duration. By my maths, that takes you right to 06:00 the following Monday?

Another scenario. Finish weekly rest 18:00 Monday, do 6 x 12 hour shifts & start weekly rest 06:00 Sunday. Within the 144 hour timetable & across 7 calender days.

■■■■ me I thought I’d logged onto Martin Lewis’ website fir a second :open_mouth:

It’s easy to preach when you’re financially stable. I am but I wasn’t in the past.

To answer the only question the guy answered, we’d need more detail. The safest answer is no but it could be doable in very specific circumstances and in those circumstances I’d expect a half decent compliance guy to say no its not worth the risk of fluffing it up.

tachograph:
You can only work 7 consecutive shifts if they fit into a period of 144 hours from the start of the first shift to the end of the seventh shift.
As that’s not likely to be the case the answer to your question is generally no.

While I obviously bow to your greater knowledge, I don’t understand why it’s unlikely to be the case. As I said, if you start a new duty week on any day, having previously taken at least 45hrs rest, you can be on duty for six periods of 24 hrs from the time you started your first shift, until you have accumulated a total duty time of 144 hrs. If a driver does this, it’s almost inevitable, unless you started bang on midnight of the first day, that your duty will be spread over 7 calendar days.
Back in the day of analogue tacho, I was stopped by VOSA and Police, and was found to have generated seven cards for the previous seven days. They spat the dummy and charged me on the spot. I pointed out that i thought they were wrong, and why, but they were having none of it,and they were going to take me all the way. To this day, I’ve never heard another word about it

drover:
Ask a question and get typical trucknet [zb] answers.

Someone just give him a simple yes or no, he didn’t ask for financial advice ffs

It’s called a discussion - it’s what people do. Your own comment didn’t answer the question posed either…

Terry Cooksey:

the maoster:

Terry Cooksey:

Old John:
Yes, you can be on duty on seven consecutive CALENDAR days, depending on what time you commenced duty on the first day. The regulations state that a driver cannot be on duty for more than six consecutive periods of 24 hrs, therefore, if for example you started on Your first day at 08.00hrs, you could still be on duty until 08.00 hrs on the seventh CALENDAR day following.
(This assumes that you had a full weekly rest at the end of your previous permitted shifts)
I think!!!

Wrong. After working on 6 days, you must begin a WEEKLY rest period. Even if you take a reduced weekly rest period, this must be at least 24 hours, therefore meaning you can work no part of the 7th day

Wrong again. You must start a weekly rest period within 144 hours of ending one. Do the maths.

Finish weekly rest period, for example at 06:00 Monday. 144 hours (6 days, taking you to 06:00 Sunday) elapse, begin new weekly rest period, minimum of 24 hours (1 day) in duration. By my maths, that takes you right to 06:00 the following Monday?

Yes, that’s correct, and quite legal, you have worked on seven consecutive calendar days, but you have only completed 6 periods of 24 hours, and have not exceeded a total of 144 hours since the end of your previous weekly rest.

Old John:

Terry Cooksey:

Yes, that’s correct, and quite legal, you have worked on seven consecutive calendar days, but you have only completed 6 periods of 24 hours, and have not exceeded a total of 144 hours since the end of your previous weekly rest.

Not quite John. the 24 hour daily period must include a daily rest so a minimum daily rest of 9 hours run back from 06:00 on Sunday takes us to 21:00 on Saturday. Monday to Saturday is only 6 calendar days. To work on 7 calendar days the shifts need to go over midnight.

Conor:

cooper1203:
why do i want to work 7shifts■■? because i have bills to pay

This is why you have an emergency fund. You want to build up a separate savings account with 3-6 months living expenses in. It saved my backside 2 years ago when I had to have emergency spinal surgery and an unplanned 12 weeks off work on £95 sick pay.

This. Being an idiot and not having a penny to my name apart from my weekly pay caused no end of crap when suddenly I couldn’t work. Going forward the first thing I’ll be doing when I’m working again is build up an emergency fund.

ok the “building work” is an nhbc claim as the lead flashing wasnt installed correctly on the balcony causing a massive leak. it isnt costing me a penny As the landlady is in her 80’s and lives at the bottom of the llyn perninsular (320 miles away) and has no where to stay here its unfair for her to have to come and dealwith the builders,

i proberbly could live on a couple of days pay if i wasnt helping my sister who has personal issues at the moment and paying off a credit card.

As i satrt work at 2.45pm every shift i guess it is impossible to do the 7th shift. my holiday is acrewed at 12.7% of my earnings which to me is a fairer way of doing it as i get as much holiday as i earn rather than x amount of days regardless of how many hours i work.

I would be more inclined to make sure the builders have access and leave them to get on with it.

cooper1203:
my holiday is acrewed at 12.7% of my earnings which to me is a fairer way of doing it as i get as much holiday as i earn rather than x amount of days regardless of how many hours i work.

Just to be pedantic, it’s accrued at 12.07%, which is probably 5p a day different… :smiling_imp:

cooper1203:
the landlady is in her 80’s and lives at the bottom of the llyn perninsular (320 miles away) and has no where to stay here its unfair for her to have to come and dealwith the builders,

Unless you are paying significantly below a fair market rent for your home it is totally fair to expect your landlady to deal with this type of property repair whatever her personal circumstances. I can’t imagine there are no letting agencies in your area who could help her with this, or hotels if she insists on dealing with it herself.
To expect you to incur expense or loss is unfair, property rental is a profitable business if done correctly but it does come with some responsibilities and business costs. Of course if you get the place for “mates rates” - that’s a different matter.

I speak as a private landlord and have a good relationship with all of my tenants, I expect by the end of the current financial year to have spent around 10K on property maintenance/repair in addition to agency fees, legally required inspections and other general business costs. I have no problem with this - like I say it’s a profitable business if done correctly.

And, no, for the shift patterns you have described you can’t do 7 in a row, for reasons already explained by others. I suspect you already knew that but hoped someone could show otherwise.

This. If she can’t travel she should let through an agent. I rent from owners who live a couple of hundred miles away but I’ve never met them as everything is done through a local agent

Just ask your employer if you can book the days off with pay, if you leave any holiday pay that has not been accrued that you have taken days off for would be deucted from your final pay…easy, especially in the current climate.

dekka:

cooper1203:
the landlady is in her 80’s and lives at the bottom of the llyn perninsular (320 miles away) and has no where to stay here its unfair for her to have to come and dealwith the builders,

Unless you are paying significantly below a fair market rent for your home it is totally fair to expect your landlady to deal with this type of property repair whatever her personal circumstances. I can’t imagine there are no letting agencies in your area who could help her with this, or hotels if she insists on dealing with it herself.
To expect you to incur expense or loss is unfair, property rental is a profitable business if done correctly but it does come with some responsibilities and business costs. Of course if you get the place for “mates rates” - that’s a different matter.

I speak as a private landlord and have a good relationship with all of my tenants, I expect by the end of the current financial year to have spent around 10K on property maintenance/repair in addition to agency fees, legally required inspections and other general business costs. I have no problem with this - like I say it’s a profitable business if done correctly.

And, no, for the shift patterns you have described you can’t do 7 in a row, for reasons already explained by others. I suspect you already knew that but hoped someone could show otherwise.

i know its a different area but when i worked in a warehouse doing any 5 in 7 they managed to wangle it that you could do 12 days with out a day off i am never sure where weeks and times start it always seems to be the "wrong way "

as to the rent i pay significantly lower than the going rate its not about making money its more so there is a small fund to pay for repairs as and when needed

cooper1203:
i know its a different area but when i worked in a warehouse doing any 5 in 7 they managed to wangle it that you could do 12 days with out a day off i am never sure where weeks and times start it always seems to be the "wrong way "

as to the rent i pay significantly lower than the going rate its not about making money its more so there is a small fund to pay for repairs as and when needed

If you were working “in a warehouse” you would not be working under EU driving regs. If you were working as a driver “out of a warehouse” it would be possible under very specific circumstances to work on 12 calender days in a row, it would probably involve a change from “day shift” to “night shift” after 6 days. ie. finishing a day shift at 18.00pm then starting a night shift at 18.01pm on the next calender day would give you a reduced weekly rest of 24.01 hours and you would not be getting a complete calender day off work. Care would have to be taken when setting out the shift pattern to ensure that this and other weekly rest periods fell into, or could be applied to the appropriate fixed weeks. Driving time and working time would also need carefull attention. Why anyone would do this is beyond me, unless the money was really, really good and it was a “one off”.
If you are unsure as to how fixed weeks and weekly rests work then this kind of work pattern needs to be avoided.

As for low rent - fair enough but you’ve just discovered one of the downsides, overall I suspect it works for both parties.

To all those mentioning the word DAYS - please copy and paste or link to where the tacho regs mention that word :question:

It will not be there because the regs go by hours and fixed weeks not by anything else

My girl just had doors fitted , I went over & kept a eye on fitters whilst she went to work , she has my credit card but if she was ever short of money etc she knows where mum / dad are , when she passed 16 ( now 30 ) I didn’t wash my hands of her,mum & me will always be a phone call away
I doubt Were the only parents with those views , couldn’t you of asked mum / dad for help , be it a few days keeping a eye on builders / finicial help ?

dozy:
My girl just had doors fitted , I went over & kept a eye on fitters whilst she went to work , she has my credit card but if she was ever short of money etc she knows where mum / dad are , when she passed 16 ( now 30 ) I didn’t wash my hands of her,mum & me will always be a phone call away
I doubt Were the only parents with those views , couldn’t you of asked mum / dad for help , be it a few days keeping a eye on builders / finicial help ?

Revolving?

dozy:

dad is in his box and mum is the landlady…yes if need be she would let meoff a weeks rent. but being the judiscous son i should pay my way if i can

ROG:
To all those mentioning the word DAYS - please copy and paste or link to where the tacho regs mention that word :question:

It will not be there because the regs go by hours and fixed weeks not by anything else

gov.uk/drivers-hours/eu-rules

The regs do refer to days (or day actually but we all know that more than one exists)

From the link above (and this is the first rule mentioned on the first page I googled and looked at)

The main EU rules on driving hours are that you must not drive more than:
9 hours in a day”

Next set of rules on the same page

The main points of EU rules on breaks and rest are that you must take:
at least 11 hours rest every day”

I believe the fixed week is also defined in the regs by using the words monDAY and sunDAY

I do take your point that the regs regarding weekly rest periods really are based on hours and fixed weeks and that 24 hours for example is not necessarily one single calender day, but as “days” are comprised of hours and fixed weeks are comprised of days, it would be difficult to explain the practical application of the regs without using the word day or days.

I am also aware that the page I have linked to is not an actual publication of EU regs but merely the UK government’s published interpretation of them, if they can’t explain the regs without using the word “day” what chance has a driver got?