Calor and its transport

Scan-029.jpg

image0 (2).jpg

5thDragoon:

The comment about Foden explains why Hoovers in Merthyr bought about 10 of them. Big cab and useless heaters. Lousy wagon to have to go north in during the winter.

Hi 5th dragon loving the pictures I grew up round kosangas and later calor as my father was a driver from the early sixties till around 2000, the picture above you say is Dublin is actually the Belfast depot, do you have any more of the Irish based trucks?

Early

image0-12.jpg

Scan-019.bmp.jpg

image0-16.jpg

One of my oldest friends ‘Trevor Lewis’ who I worked with on Swifts left to work for Calor gas based in Wellingborough. He actually got me to ride down to the Isle of Grain with him one Saturday, what a bleak place that was. Trevor lost his licence temporarily due to a suspected heart condition and had to work in the yard for Calor, he later got his licence back and started for Taylor Barnard. Last time I saw him I was working for Tesco and he was delivering to Kiln Farm.

I used to do Calor work in the winter when the soft drink work I was doing at the time dried up, it was out of Stanford le Hope, traction only and it was bloody hard work. As we were only temporary hauliers we never got the cream, nearly every job involved going through London to go down into Kent, Surrey or Sussex as we couldn’t use the Dartford Tunnels, a lot of the jobs were handball too, those little tanks get heavier and heavier and heavier the more of them you have to shift :cry:

I did get a hazmat ticket from it though, but as I only used it on that work, it wasn’t much of a bonus :laughing:

They had a good canteen though :sunglasses:

Scan-031.bmp.jpg

My fathers first bulk tanker was an Albion with a “5 ton tank”.

Hi, NMM,

At Calor the place to be for breakfast was Ellesmere Port or Port Clarence . If it was dinner it was Stoney Stanton or Saxham.
It was 10 years ago but I still remember breakfast at Ellesmere Port.

Cheers Bassman

Calor in Inverness.
Oily

ArrowBulkERF.jpg