Calor and its transport

An ex-Tyburns Atkinson.

An ERF with a g.p. tank.

5thDragoon:

These were the ones that had to have the track widened?
Briton ferry round about didn’t like them at all

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

b58.jpg

This is my Vac Motor.
Tied down on a ferry for a change.
A really good Company, it changed so much when the Dutch took over and new management saw to the rest.
Conditions eroded and men too close to retirement to care for the rest.
I would have regretted not working for them.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi There, i am new to the forum and joined after reading with interest, your thread on Calor Gas and its transport.

I have recently purchased a Scammell Trunker MBD 271E, that is mentioned earlier in the thread, i hope to restore it to its former glory as it would have been when working for Calor.

I wonder if you can help me in identifying what colour scheme the scammell would have had? It appears to be red cab and wheels, with a grey chassis. Would you know what the paint codes are?

Also on your photo there is a number - 82177 would that have been its fleet No?

Sorry to be a nuisance with the questions but any help would be greatly received,

Regards,
Dave

Look on the old northamptonshire companies theead, theres a photo of an f reg scammell in 1972 ish calor colours, dont know the ral code though.

Thanks

bdph01:
Hi There, i am new to the forum and joined after reading with interest, your thread on Calor Gas and its transport.

I have recently purchased a Scammell Trunker MBD 271E, that is mentioned earlier in the thread, i hope to restore it to its former glory as it would have been when working for Calor.

I wonder if you can help me in identifying what colour scheme the scammell would have had? It appears to be red cab and wheels, with a grey chassis. Would you know what the paint codes are?

Also on your photo there is a number - 82177 would that have been its fleet No?

Sorry to be a nuisance with the questions but any help would be greatly received,

Regards,
Dave

Hi Dave

I have a Calor Transport fleet list dated June 1968 and your Scammell Trunker 2 is listed. It was one of 15 Scammell tractor units on an E registration and all were plated at 32 tons. The number 82177 was the fleet number and the first 2 digits 82 identified it as a Scammell 6x2 twin steer 32 ton tractor unit. Your vehicle had a sister one registration MBD 270E, fleet number 82155. All vehicles were registered in Northamptonshire as the head office at that time for Calor Transport was in Rushden (where I worked).

Regards IAC

Just to let anybody know who is interested that there are some photos of old Calor vehicles from the 1970’s that Tony has put on “old northamptonshire company’s” topic on this forum.

A Jon Brooks photo. Calor Transport on Scott Bader contract.

gravydavey:
A Jon Brooks photo. Calor Transport on Scott Bader contract.

This vehicle used to run out of Scott Bader located in Wollaston near Wellingborough. As can be seen by the TIR board on the tanker it used to run over to Europe and I am sure the driver was Tony Spicer. I remember doing some work on this unit.

Can you recall those forward control mercs that were on the Scott Bader contract, couldn’t pass the workshops without a spanner being used on them.

5thDragoon:
Can you recall those forward control mercs that were on the Scott Bader contract, couldn’t pass the workshops without a spanner being used on them.

No they must have been before my time as the oldest vehicles around on the Scott Bader contract were A Series ERF’s with the ■■■■■■■■ 220 or the Gardner 180. I remember that Scott Bader was where we got the resins from for repairing the fibreglass cabs.

This the model merc

The colour scheme of the vehicles when put under the corporate Calor Transport livery

Hello all…

I worked for Calor in Millbrook Depot for about seven years in the late 80’s early 90’s.
I took redundancy when the Dutch took over and the job went to pot :smiley:

Are there any ex Soton drivers who post on here?

All the best.
Baldrick.

5thDragoon:
This the model merc

No I defiantly did not see any of these during my time in Rushden not even old ones coming in for disposal. Is the one in the photo a Monkton vehicle?

The vehicle in the photo is just for identification purposes, the ones on the Scott Bader contract were probably acquired with the initial handover