Calor and its transport

gravydavey:
Hello 5th Dragoon As time passes the memory fails. I used to be in and out of Wooburn Green depot alot after Calor swallowed Tyburns . I vaguely remember Palmers being taken over but cannot remember the f86s but can remember the ERFs and Fodens both LHD and RHD as a lot of traffic went to the continent.

I’m particularly keen to ascertain how many ERF NGCs (the left-hand drive ones with the Scania-looking front) Calor Transport had or had as subbies. Are there any old fleet lists out there? Robert :question:

Calor Transport ERF ON Orobis contract with an ex Arrow bulk tank

orobis.jpg

Ex-Monks International Volvo with an ex-Monkton Motors tri-axle tank.

old volvo.jpg

Calor Transport erf.

erf 9.jpg

An ERF advertising feature

A Monks International F88 showing the Calor fleet number

monks.jpg

Some great contributions, Graveydavy - enjoyed the ERFs! Robert

Those tri axle flats had cetschi self steer rear axles, and had to be in a straight line ahead before a pin could be inserted to lock up the self steer before reversing, a bit of a pain.

Something peculiar I found recently. I decided to take photos of it and publish them in the proper place:

This picture looks like a Dutch contractor to Calor Transport

calor holland.jpg

[Photos by Wayne Richards P and O Tankers.] Pictures taken in Thomas Allen depot Ellesmere Port showing Calor vehicles awaiting inspection and to have Pand O fleet numbers after Calor gave the Shell contract to P and O Tankers

A friend sent this image to me so I have no details on it.

calor transport_resize.jpg

gravydavey:
I think this is an unusual ERF does anybody know about it ■■?

A real gem! Not familiar with your registration-system…can you tell me to which Calor-depot
this ERF NGC belonged? Thank you very much in advance

ERF-Continental:

gravydavey:
I think this is an unusual ERF does anybody know about it ■■?

A real gem! Not familiar with your registration-system…can you tell me to which Calor-depot
this ERF NGC belonged? Thank you very much in advance

ERF, I recall seeing this in High Wycombe depot ( Princess Risborough ? ) in the late 70s when going in to clean tank out , I did not work for Calor so I cannot be certain.

cheers Johnnie

Thx Sammy! I meanwhile dived in the history on British-registration saying HMO is for London-region

ERF but have no details of photo.

calor transport 2_resize.jpg

ERF with a propane tanker

calor transport 3_resize.jpg

FODEN S83.

gravydavey:
ERF with a propane tanker

I wonder why some of those ERFs were fitted with nudge-bars and others were not… :question: Robert

The heavy duty bumpers were a throw back to early ADR regulations when there was a requirement for the tanks to have adequate protection front and rear, the tank rear was part of the tank build, but the front obtained its protection by beefing up the tractor unit. When tilt cabs came on the scene with the Ergo cab from the Leyland group the “cowcatcher” had to be hinged and able to drop down which turned out to be a back breaker.