Calculations Owner Driver

pig pen:
I work prices to go there and come back, a back load is a bonus, no load the jobs still worthwhile.

That was my way too.

I dont understand spreadsheets, I’m slightly discalculaic so I worked on the principle derv+wages being half the price to the customer. As time went by, that was twiddled with but essentially it worked for 28 years .

albion:

pig pen:
I work prices to go there and come back, a back load is a bonus, no load the jobs still worthwhile.

That was my way too.

I dont understand spreadsheets, I’m slightly discalculaic so I worked on the principle derv+wages being half the price to the customer. As time went by, that was twiddled with but essentially it worked for 28 years .

That’s interesting. I don’t really understand them either, nor can I read a balance sheet. However, I’ve survived as an owner driver for 43 years, and made a very decent living.
My formula for costing most jobs, apart from very local jobs, is to work out how much fuel i will use to do the job, work out the cost, and multiply the answer by three. It is a rule of thumb, which is not universally appropriate, but it’s kept me comfortably afloat till now.

I think its easy to make things too complicated! A simple formula you can do on the hoof is just as effective.