Calculating wages to compare jobs

I’ve just left an hourly paid tramping job for a salaried 4 on 4 off day job.
Gone from 65-70 hours every week to a 48 hour week although I haven’t actually done anymore than 45 so far.
In terms of money I’ll see £6k less a year but the majority of that is night out money.
I’m far happier, I have more than enough free time to do things I enjoy and the drop in money will have no real effect on my quality of life.

Slightly bizarre someone on £650 for 35 hours thinks pay isn’t high enough

albion:

Punchy Dan:
Just missed out me n the old Foden going to Oslo this week ,51 hrs on the ferry to Gothenburg and 26 hrs back ,no thanks ,it was bad enough last time and it didn’t go via brevic then .

You’d hate us, Cuxhaven, Esbjerg, Gothenburg, all around the 24 hour mark. Might be doing a few trips over to Finland direct, that would be three days on a ferry!

The other zb bit is as you know there’s you and the crew and odd other driver ,no birds to get talking to :wink: :blush:

15 eur p/h up to 45hrs and 18eur thereafter and 30eur night out at our place for employed drivers who want the hourly pay or for better pay its pay per load which most opt for.

when I was on the aggregate job over here the old guy that trained me on the b train side dump used to keep at me about pushing on. Well after he retired I had a young guy I had to train up so to speak ,we did 3 loads a day 5 days a week ,we knew when the quarry shut/opened and were left to get on with it same as starting times .Pay was clock on -off . The guys on the concrete had an hr for lunch and 2 15min coffee breaks. The day took 12hrs for the run plus pre trip fuel etc,(just trundle about at 100kph ) no need to speed.and fueling up etc so around 13hrs a day. Now to the point…I did the job the way I was trained (stop for a coffee if felt like it ,had a sandwich at the quarry).not so my young friend he was doing the job an hr or more a day less time than me,using more fuel and wondered why my wage was always more than his. he just could not get it into his head that pay by the hr wasn’t ■■■ the dog. :unamused:

The best calculation is top line including all extra’s, night out MINUS your cost (car, fuel other cost) Divided by the hours you are away.
This would give you always an comparable calculation.
After that you can see if you don’t mind to be away all week (years ago I never minded) if you don’t mind to work weekends, nights, earlies whatever.

The good paying job that cost you 40 mile a day and 1 hour travel time each way, could work out a lot less, than the lower paid job on walking distance from your front door.

A good job is not always the best paid ones (more often not) a good job is where they look after you, don’t take the mickey, have useful extras, like good pensions, sick pay, paternity leave, private health care, training. A company who invest in you (not to get you as quick as possible going) to make you a better employable employee, something that benefit both parties and not just only the employer.

If you want to move job put everything on a piece of paper and write all the pros and contras out, and the outcome could be surprising.

Never jump on a job offer, let them put the T & C’s on paper, and read it quietly at home before you make a decision.

There are good jobs out there, but they are only for the best!

Punchy Dan:
The other zb bit is as you know there’s you and the crew and odd other driver ,no birds to get talking to :wink: :blush:

I don’t want to talk to any birds though… :open_mouth: :laughing:

Hourly pay’s fine till summat goes wrong. Several years ago I ended up off work for three months recovering from surgery to clear an infected haematoma from my leg. Being on salary, was paid full wage throughout though obviously no overtime.

Had I been hourly paid, I would have been on SSP throughout; less than ninety quid a week at today’s rates means I’d have been at least six grand down and that’s a lot of money to make back especially with the WTD effectively capping our earnings.

albion:

Punchy Dan:

I don’t want to talk to any birds though… :open_mouth: :laughing:

You mite jump ship :laughing: or ferry :laughing: