CADWALLADER OSWESTRY/ DEE VALLEY LLANGOLLEN(a few pics now )

chris williams

jonno was your dad the manager at LE,s if yes say hi to him for me, the last i heard he had his own trucks doing traction, cheers rocky

yes rocky that him, yea we got quite a few now doing uk and european fridge work, he said hi back and hopes you are ok etc

Ive also posted these in trucking in the 80s thread but thought they should go in here as well

Heres some pics from a mate of mine Dave Ellis, who was on for Caddies in the 80s & 90s.

The First 2 are parked up waiting for the boat in Cherbourg,
along side a US Aircraft Carrier when the 50th D-Day celebrations were on

Next is one of Dave backing on the Le Havre boat

And these were taken in Portugal tipping meat at the roadside, you can see a small ridged in the background in one of the pics,
Dave said they would get the full 20 ton load into it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

And these are a few of Dave`s dads motors from Dee Valley
Drivers pictured are, Norman, Robin and Jeff

Heres a few more Caddies pics from around the world wide web

TCM 172V (F10 - pictured above) was one of a pair which were new to W A Wright from Scarisbrick, Lancs & run on market work.

When Arthur wrapped-up the first time round, the motors were recovered by the finance company. One went to Johnson Brothers of Burscough and was run on container work until it was disposed of in the mid-eighties, and I’m assuming this is where the other went.

jessicas dad:

nianiamh:
Nice one jess`s dad i spotted that one on the site jj72 listed, its a good site
)

yes it is a good site i had a good look the pictures for any photo’s of yardley’s from leeds who my dad used to work for in the 70’s they went down the pan in 81 but i cant find any info at all on the web!!! it’s a shame cos they were well into the european work and i had been all over europe by the time i was 6!!!.

My Dad was a day man for Yardleys out of London, used to tip & load for the night trunkers, he may have some pics, lives in Spain now but I’m over there next weekend, I’ll have a look if we ain’t too busy on the golf course :laughing:

newmercman:

jessicas dad:

nianiamh:
Nice one jess`s dad i spotted that one on the site jj72 listed, its a good site
)

yes it is a good site i had a good look the pictures for any photo’s of yardley’s from leeds who my dad used to work for in the 70’s they went down the pan in 81 but i cant find any info at all on the web!!! it’s a shame cos they were well into the european work and i had been all over europe by the time i was 6!!!.

My Dad was a day man for Yardleys out of London, used to tip & load for the night trunkers, he may have some pics, lives in Spain now but I’m over there next weekend, I’ll have a look if we ain’t too busy on the golf course :laughing:

thanks for the reply new mercman my dad used to drive for yardleys out of fentimen road at vauxhall but when they shut that down he went onto the euro side from leeds. thanks for trying for some pic’s.

Anyone got anymore Caddies pics hid away out there ?

nianiamh:

[/img]

AFC 781V when it loked much better IMO :wink:
Do you remember Caddies brought out Swallow Int? If you look closely at the Caddies’s pic, AFC is still pulling a Swallow fridge :sunglasses:

nianiamh:

[/img]

AFC 781V when it looked much better IMO :wink:
Do you remember Caddies brought out Swallow Int? If you look closely at the Caddies pic, AFC is still pulling a Swallow fridge :sunglasses:

Well spoted there Nipper
your right it is looking better in the days of Swallows

im 31 now but when i was a kid my dad used to do the paint spraying on caddys units and kronospan trailers.
thats who gave me the bug, i now have my own trucks, nice to see those pics.

Anyone remember orange ERF E series 6x2 with Soo 1 in the headboard pulling for Cadwallader inthe early nineties, Anyone got photos

Thanks to the new software on the site ive been making a start at reposting pics from photobucket which is sooo slowwww, but then again ive plenty of time to waste :imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ROCKY HOLLAND:
Yeh mate i worked at LE,s for 6 years im trying to figure out who you are you l have to give me more of a clue :laughing: . We will never have another job the same as cads thats for sure. I bumped into a bloke called mick pryor down harlow a few weeks ago he worked at cads years ago dont know if you know him comes from down near reading ?

I know that your posting is from 2 year’s ago but I’ve only just discovered this site.

Anyway, I knew Micky Prior well. I first met him when we were both doing middle east work 1975/76. I went to live in Sweden between end of 76 until 1981 when I returned to England and joined Swallow International which is where I met up with Micky again. It wasn’t long after I joined that we were taken over by Caddies and we continued to run out of their southern depot (Swallows old yard in Penn Street near Amersham). We ran together on occasions…meat to DDR in particular I remember.

Micky became an owner driver and I’ve just fished out his card with “M.A.Prior Transport” written on it.

Haven’t seen him for ages but that’s hardly surprising as I’ve lived in Thailand for the last 14 years. If you should bump into him again say Hi from me.
Ron Davies

Here is a photo of my old truck XJO 883 R, I was with Caddies until January 1985.

This vehicle was featured on the front page of a Truck magazine when it was in Caddies colours some years after I had left. Why on earth they should have featured this one I do not know.

HI RON YOU DIDNT BY ANY CHANCE COME FROM TELFORD WHEN YOU WORKED WITH CADS AS I KNEW A RON FROM THERE CANT REMEMBER HIS SURNAME A WEE GUY HAD MANY A NIGHT OUT WITH HIM IF ITS YOU MICK PRYOR I REMEMBER VAGUELY I BUMPED INTO GORDON PARRY A COUPLE OF YRS AGO IN KETTERING HE WAS WORKING FOR EM ROGERS NORTHAMPTON DONT KNOW IF HES STILL THERE OR NOT.I THINK WHEN CADS FINISHED THE GROUND SWALLOWED EVERY ONE UP AS WE NEVER SEE NE OF THEM.LOL CHEERS ROCKY.

ROCKY HOLLAND:
HI RON YOU DIDNT BY ANY CHANCE COME FROM TELFORD WHEN YOU WORKED WITH CADS AS I KNEW A RON FROM THERE CANT REMEMBER HIS SURNAME A WEE GUY HAD MANY A NIGHT OUT WITH HIM IF ITS YOU MICK PRYOR I REMEMBER VAGUELY I BUMPED INTO GORDON PARRY A COUPLE OF YRS AGO IN KETTERING HE WAS WORKING FOR EM ROGERS NORTHAMPTON DONT KNOW IF HES STILL THERE OR NOT.I THINK WHEN CADS FINISHED THE GROUND SWALLOWED EVERY ONE UP AS WE NEVER SEE NE OF THEM.LOL CHEERS ROCKY.

Hi ROCKY
No, I lived in High Wycombe. I seem to remember that there was a bloke from up that way that they called ‘Rocket Ron’

Gordon Parry…that’s a name I remember. Didn’t he have a foreign wife? Was she from Rumania or somewhere like that?

I REMEMBER YOU NOW I MET YOU A FEW TIMES CANT REMEMBER WHERE ALOT OF WATERS GONE UNDER THE BRIDGE SINCE THEN LOL. GORDON PARRYS WIFE IS SOUTH AFRICAN I THINK ? & YOUR RIGHT ROCKET RON WAS THE GUY FROM TELFORD GOD YOU HAVE SOME MEMORY LOL. ITS A SHAME A LOT OF THE OLD SKOOL FROM CADS HAVE PASSED AWAY BILL ROBBO,TUDOR OWENS DON GRIFFITHS & MANY MORE THEY WERE THE GOOD GUYS DONT NO IF YOU NO BUT TONY ELLIS HAS RETIRED OLD GET LOL.ROCKY

Tony Ellis. Wasn’t he the transport manager on the UK side of operations? Had very little to do with him but he seemed to be pretty good at his job.

I had to deal with Mike Goffin and Les (possibilities)Woolfenden. They didn’t seem to communicate with each other all that much although they sat next to each other in the same office! Many was the time when I would be travelling north in England to load and meet up with another driver who was travelling south to load. If only Gordon and Russell knew half of what was going on!!

I didn’t enjoy going into the depot at Oswestry. I didn’t like the way the two brothers treated their drivers…or was it just me being an ‘outsider’ from Swallows. I wasn’t too impressed with the favouritism that went on either and of some of the drivers who used to do a lot of a*se-licking to get the best runs and best motors. I’ll mention no names!!

Only one guy that I’ve kept in touch with over the years and that is John Marshall who was the fitter at the old Swallows yard. He went on to work for Cave Woods. He’s retired now but he tells me that he still takes the odd motor for MOT when they’re short of bods.