Cabriolet DAF anybody

big al st:

robroy:
I remember seeing that Cabriolet Roadtrain at motor show, on the Leyland stand in the 80s (possibly Glasgow) sure it was maroon with tan upholstery and hood.

The cab was fitted to a newer chassis, the original probably scrapped years ago.

Why would they do that, it isn’t that it was used regularly, so absolutely worn out and good for nothing, and what state was the cab in?

Was the original.a 14 litre ■■■■■■■ Rockwell Fuller driveline? , and was it the same spec on the new chassis?

I need to know these things. :smiley:

stargazer148:

robroy:
I remember seeing that Cabriolet Roadtrain at motor show, on the Leyland stand in the 80s (possibly Glasgow) sure it was maroon with tan upholstery and hood.

Hi robroy seen it probably at same show I’m sure it was burgundy with white Connolly hide interior.sure it was Crayford that built it cheers Ray p.s. Kelvin hall Glasgow

Yeh Kelvin hall, they used to do alternate bi annual motor shows in Birmingham and Glasgow, don’t think that’s the case now afaik.

robroy:

Would this be the one…

Yep that’s it.
C reg…85/86 ?

flickr.com/photos/triggersc … 180437136/

robroy:

big al st:

robroy:

The cab was fitted to a newer chassis, the original probably scrapped years ago.

Why would they do that, it isn’t that it was used regularly, so absolutely worn out and good for nothing, and what state was the cab in?

Was the original.a 14 litre ■■■■■■■ Rockwell Fuller driveline? , and was it the same spec on the new chassis?

I need to know these things. :smiley:

The cab was replaced with a normal one and the truck was used. It had a rolls and spicer box.

I do recall seeing the leyland motor a good number of years ago (assuming they only made one of them) in a yard in an industrial estate in Clitheroe, Lancs, not too far from the auction place. I even took a picture of it, which I’ll post if I ever come across it.

Saw it at NEC in, I think, 1985.
Feargal Sharkey was using it as a stage. It wasn’t really practical as a truck, but it was rather smart.