Cabin Sharing

Scotchbaz:
A few years ago I was on the SEM boat from Split to Ancona. The receptionist initially said I wasn’t entitled to a cabin as it was high tourist season, I eventually got one after waiting for an hour though.

I experienced the same thing on the zadar-ancona crossing, no amount of grinding my teeth and complaining would get me a cabin though, 11 hours of sleeping on a bloody chair

Hombre:
The other night on the Brittany Ferries crossing from Portsmouth to Caen I ended up sharing a cabin with a guy who if he entered the World ■■■■■■■ and Snoring contest would win hands down. How anyone can produce so much noxious gas from one end and noise from the other would I think defy medical science.

Thats strange Mark but I dont remember being on that boat :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:
I could ■■■■ for wales if their was a competition and as for snoring my mrs says the neighbours complain to her after i’ve left to go back to work :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
just a quick question mark, when are you going away? fancy a beer this week?

Hi James - Either this afternoon or early tomorrow morning, I havent been told where Im loading yet, Ill give you a bell if im not going this afternoon.

KW:

Hombre:
The plain fact is that it is all about cost and saving money.

Now that is where the nail has been hit on the head.Costs.
If all the cabins were given out to just one occupant,more cabins to clean at the end of the voyage,more time and cost.

Someone on the Minimum Wage has to spend 30 seconds changing your bedsheet. And for this, they want a £30 upgrade fee.

Greed and a lack of respect for truck drivers is all it is.

there are ways to get your own cabin. Maybe in the last 20 crossings I have only had to share once. But if I told everyone on here how i do it then you would all do it and I wouldn’t get my own cabin anymore. :smiley:

I caught the Dartford to Vlissingen about ten years ago and still have the scar’s to prove it, I thought it was scratchy blankets, but it was bed bugs on steroids :open_mouth:

Bed bugs? :open_mouth: Eeuwww… :frowning:

I would sleep in the truck if I had to share, paid the £30 upgrade on Britania Ferries on many occasions, even my wife asks for a cabin on her own when she does a trip withn me.

She asked once on P & O Rotterdam to Hull and they put her 2 decks up and the opposite end of the ship from me, I didnt know my snoring was that bad.

I snore like a pig and I wouldnt want to put any one through that noise (although I have never heard the noise).

The Coutance and Purbec, only ships Ive pucked up on, should ban flat bottom boats.

Was on the Newhaven to Diepe boat a few weeks ago, only 8 drivers on but they still doubled us up in cabins so the lazy sods had 4 cabins to do and not 8.

at least you get your own cabin on the pride of bilbao :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

hmmmmm ! is that hen parties in the bar… :wink:

I sailed on the Armorique last sunday afternoon from Roscoff to Plymouth - very nice boat too, mind you it is brand new - very similar to the Mont St Michel inside. I even got my own cabin as I was the only Brit. In fact there were only seven trucks on the crossing, fair few dozen cars though.

Did the Poole to Santander crossing last year on the Cotentin.

Seemed to be plenty of trucks though not completely full, but did get cabin to myself and exclusive use of the shared bathroom.

So they must have an adequate supply of cabins and be able to provide for single occupancy.

I think the worst crossing I ever did was in 1978,when I had to spend the night with the 2nd captains grandmother & her German Shepherd,on the Woolwich ferrry.I was too heavy to cross Tower Bridge & London Bridge had been sold to an american.

In answer to KW. I go to Ireland a few times. Fishguard-Rosslare. Journey time three and half hours by Stena Line. You always have a single cabin. Never shared unless was double manned.Double personed for the politically correct. So how do they cover the costs?.

squarepeg:

Seemed to be plenty of trucks though not completely full, but did get cabin to myself and exclusive use of the shared bathroom.

So they must have an adequate supply of cabins and be able to provide for single occupancy.

Unless you are double manning you will always get a sole use cabin on the Cotentin - it is designed soley for freight and has a cabin to truck ratio of 1 to 1. And so it should too at the price!!

Hombre:

squarepeg:

Unless you are double manning you will always get a sole use cabin on the Cotentin - it is designed soley for freight and has a cabin to truck ratio of 1 to 1. And so it should too at the price!!

Theres me thinking it was all down to my charm. :smiley:

we used to request am sailing or 1600hr from poole, and was told certainly as it is cheaper.
Only made night x ings on way home & they were longer ie; more sleep or a chance of it at least.Share a cabin now?? rather stay in lorry thanks.

Tend to stay in the cab while crossing,cab can get smeely from the engine room fumes,so run a ventilation fan to keep cool,as gets warm down there.But do like the veal Portuguese style stew on the Le Havre LD line route.Not safe if the ferry sinks,plus the fire risk and no one would now you are asleep in the dungeon room.Dont let the first officer spot you,as the crew dont mind so much.