C+E Training Not Needed Anymore

Another bad day at the office dear?

What a pretty bad day I have had today, nothing major I just thought with it being my fourth day of training things might have improved. How wrong was I?

To start with we did the un/coupling exercise which went quite well apart from when I put the unit under the trailer slightly off, it got there but if there hadn’t had been guides on the unit I would have messed it up big time. I was quite surprised how hard you have to pull the lever to release the kingpin and I needed a change of shorts when I put the parking/trailer brake on. Not a problem with the Susies as they were all colour co-ordinated (thank god) and quite easy to understand. Wasn’t to sure if they were on properly so I gave them an extra tug just to make sure. I was quite surprised how easy/simple it was after reading my toilet material, and I don’t mean ■■■■! Sorted.

Things didn’t improve on the drive but they didn’t get any worse so I guess it’s just psychological that it was a poorer day than yesterday. I had another different instructor today, Colin (a member on here, has he been spying on me? A nice friendly chap who was chatting most of the way round on the drive so it sort of relaxed me. I think it might be that he was in the army and with me being in the navy we have something in common and can relate to each others experiences. He took me round some of the route and sometimes off the route to get different roundabouts in. it was good and there is one junction that is a pain in the ■■■■, but I have got that one down to a tea, it’s the ‘easy’ ones that mess me about, the ones yu dont need to think too much about! I think it’s because sometimes I go into rigid mode, I know I shouldn’t and hopefully I wont tomorrow, I’m guessing the pressure will ease if everything goes ok in the yard before we go on the road on the test.

To be honest I am not that worried about it at the moment, when I did my rigid course I had three ■■■■ days and the best one was the Monday, just like this course now, and I had Stu take me to Botley for the test and it was an early test, like tomorrow. I’m hoping it is going to be fate as I only got 6 minors on the rigid. I will be more than happy if I get that result. Note to the agencies- if I pass I wont be available for work, I will be hammered in a pub somewhere.

Just judgement day to go now!

Wish me luck

Stick at it mate!!
So difficult to explain reversing in words so I’m not going to bother adding anything.
My only tip to add to this thread: when reversing turn the wheel slowly, do not over steer it. 3" turn on the steering wheel and the trailer is going 3ft at the arse end! Just go a bit at a time with the steering wheel when reversing, if it’s not enough, turn a bit more, then a bit more… Better doing that than over steering and snaking the lorry into the garage.

Artics are better than rigids. I’ve yet to meet an artic driver who prefers rigids!! We hate them because rigids have got the turning circle of a jumbo jet. If you want to park a rigid in the yard on Friday, start turning the wheel about Wednesday…

Best of luck for tommorrow mate :smiley:

i forgot to mention…

the bit i found hardest was lining the unit up with the trailer on the coupling. i have finally managed to get it in to my head that if there is a mass of dark in the mirror, ie the trailer, and you are travelling backwards you turn the wheel the opposite way to what you want to go. except when only driving the unit, it turns in to a rigid then. i think thats why i found it hard lining up the unit.

my head hurts, im going for a lie down!

that’s brilliant mate, good to hear you made some sense of my essay! :laughing:

sounds like you’re like me really - the bits in the yard are a doddle and I can drive the things pretty well (I think) but I’ve failed three times for silly mistakes, two of the times I thought it was a bit harsh but that’s life.

Test day tomorow?

stay focused (it’s hard work for that length of time) and any time you feel you’re in a position where you might make that silly mistake (mine have been roundabouts and I knocked the curb when he got me to pull over) slow down a bit and have a good think about how you’re NOT going to ■■■■ it up. Well, that’s my straturgy for my next attempt, thinking of taking some nicotine gum too :sunglasses:

Giblsa:
i forgot to mention…

the bit i found hardest was lining the unit up with the trailer on the coupling. i have finally managed to get it in to my head that if there is a mass of dark in the mirror, ie the trailer, and you are travelling backwards you turn the wheel the opposite way to what you want to go. except when only driving the unit, it turns in to a rigid then. i think thats why i found it hard lining up the unit.

my head hurts, im going for a lie down!

Line up the unit like you do when doing a straight line reverse - same amount in both mirrors with an extra eye on where the back of the unit is so you do not commit to going under the trailer before checking the height is OK :slight_smile:

cheers for that rog. i will bear that in mind tomorrow, i just wish i had an artic to practice with tonight?

i feel if i could do another hour i would be a great deal more confident than what i am now but tomorrow should ok, with a bit of hard work and a huge amount of luck!

edit - cos i called rog, rig! sorry rog! and again because i called him riog this time

Giblsa:
Just judgement day to go now!

Have FUN tomorrow - the more you enjoy the test the more relaxed and focused you will be :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Giblsa:
edit - cos i called rog, rig! sorry rog!

Thats OK, GOBisa :blush: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Good luck Giblsa !
Simon :smiley:

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!

i passed with only 7 minors.

I started this morning at 0700, said that I would like to be treated like on the test and went through the checks, got them all spot on apart from where the washer bottle was. Got it in the end though (it was the one with washers wrote on it)!

Started with the un/coupling exercise, did everything perfect except forgot the pin initially when doing the coupling, funnily enough I must have checked that about 5 times on the actual test! Was quite happy with this exercise apart from wheels spinning the unit when connecting back up again, then on to the reverse, got it in two, had to do a shunt but better than knocking anything over and I didn’t quite go far enough back, I was looking at the wrong marking on the wheel arch!

Drove round for a bit and Stu just chatted to me about all sorts, trying to relax me and it worked wonders.

The examiner came out and called my name “bingo” said I and put a smile on her face, at least she is human not like some of them!

Did the reversing exercise first but found I was too close to the kerb but managed it with a bit of a bum wiggle with the back of the trailer and got it in the garage, but had to take a shunt, jumped out for a look and before I even looked the examiner was moving the cones round for the next test (rigid) so I knew it was in there! 2 down 9000 to go I thought.

On to the braking exercise and had a bit of trouble finding 5th (yet again) but got it in the end and just about made it to about 19mph and the cones were on us! Pressed the brake and it was the best emergency stop I had done all week. Brilliant thought I.

Out on the road we went and I felt like it was the best drive I had done all week with the exception of pulling out of a junction turning right a car had stopped and flashed me out so I went for it but I wasn’t sure if the examiner had seen them do it so I pointed this out to her and she was happy. Did everything as well as I could to be honest and got back to the test centre in one piece. I found chatting to the examiner all the way round helped me relax, we had something in common, a love of dogs, yet again pets break the ice for you!

Got lined up ready for the un/coupling exercise and off we go. Got uncoupled but getting back in the cab I had a feeling I had missed something, got back out again and had a walk round and then said to the examiner as I walked passed her, I have just taken the number plate off (that was lucky) moved the unit, parked it at the side and she nodded to me as if to say carry on. Moved the unit to the front of the trailer and got out straight to the trailer brake and checked it, walked past the examiner pulling on all the straps on the curtain and shaking the spray suppression to make sure it was there, bent down showed her my builders bum (I bet she was happy with that, NOT!) and told her I was checking the plate and mot was in date. Reversed the unit up and did 2 pulls to make sure hitched up properly without wheel spinning this time. Got out but I held the steering wheel as I got out, luckily she was round the other side of the unit when I did this and I don’t think she saw it, put the clip on and checked it to make sure, walked round the back and checked the parking brake again (no idea why but not a problem I guess) got on the back of the unit and got a bit confused with the susies. Tried putting the red one on the yellow (you idiot lee, why the doing that) but got them sorted in the end. Got down, one final check walk around shouted putting the number plate back on and released the brake.
The examiner walked up and said is that it.
“Yes” I said
Then she said “would you like me to check anything?”
“DOH”,
“Yes please, could you go to the rear of the trailer and ensure all my lights are working please”
“Certainly” (thank god she asked that!) lights working everything done.

Now for the moment of truth, she jumps in the cab and says I will just fill out some paperwork and then the immortal words “I’m happy to say Lee you have passed”

GET IN THERE YOU BEAUTY

What a feeling, I am on cloud 9 at the moment and cant wait to get out in the real world.

I know how to drive them, now comes the hard part of really learning the job.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. See you all on the road sometime when I’m in my big boys toy.

Happy driving people

![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/ARTICWELLDONE.jpg) :smiley: ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/welldone.gif) :smiley: ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/ARTICWELLDONE.jpg):D ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/welldone.gif) :smiley: ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/ARTICWELLDONE.jpg) :smiley: ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/welldone.gif) :smiley: ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/ARTICWELLDONE.jpg) :smiley: ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/welldone.gif) :smiley: ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/ARTICWELLDONE.jpg) :smiley: ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/welldone.gif) :smiley: ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/ARTICWELLDONE.jpg)

Giblsa:
WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!

i passed with only 7 minors.

The examiner came out and called my name “bingo” said I and put a smile on her face, at least she is human not like some of them!

I found chatting to the examiner all the way round helped me relax, we had something in common, a love of dogs, yet again pets break the ice for you!

The examiner walked up and said is that it.
“Yes” I said
Then she said “would you like me to check anything?”
“DOH”,
“Yes please, could you go to the rear of the trailer and ensure all my lights are working please”
“Certainly” (thank god she asked that!) lights working everything done.

Now for the moment of truth, she jumps in the cab and says I will just fill out some paperwork and then the immortal words “I’m happy to say Lee you have passed”

GET IN THERE YOU BEAUTY

Happy driving people

I have nicked a few of your sentences.

Doesnt it make it easier when you are calm and relaxed, the examiners could do to be a bit more like her. This frosty glare is only done to welcome you to the world of transport as that is what will greet you at an RDC :smiley:

When I took my bike test, the examiner took my instructor in the car because it was cold. Half way round he asked me to pull over and get off the bike.

He had noticed my boot lace was flapping and was worried it might tangle. He allowed me to retie it and carry on. The instructor thought that he was going to abandon the test.

Afterwards, the paperwork finished, we had a long chat about motorcycles and safe riding and he even congratulated me on my good safe ride and praised my instructor for her unblemished pass rate.

welll done on passing mate :slight_smile:

Giblsa:

will i need a notepad and pen? is it worth taking one just in case?..

Take a pen. The first thing the examiner said to me on my C&E test was “ZB - I’ve lost me ZB in’ pen”. I lent him one. Still failed me though. Bar steward :angry:

Well done mate,I knew you’d passed,seen you come back but I was watching some badly dubbed swedish video about hiab’s so couldn’t say hello.
Not in the same league but I got my Hiab ticket today so we’re both happy!

thegeordie:
Well done mate,I knew you’d passed,seen you come back but I was watching some badly dubbed swedish video about hiab’s so couldn’t say hello.
Not in the same league but I got my Hiab ticket today so we’re both happy!

congrats on the hiab ticket mate. at least you are all set for the scania on monday now!

are you going to take a camera and give us a diary?

i thought you might have been in the class room and i dont think they would have appreciated me barging in just to say hello! :laughing:

we will all have to meet up and have a drink (even if it is just a coke) sometime, have like a hampshire meeting of trucknet.

Can I just say a big thank you to all the staff at zenith in lee on solent. They have been brilliant, yet again, and I neither could nor would fault any of them in any way.

Also thanks for all the advice and encouragement on here, especially ROG, diesldave, Tachograph and coffeholic and all the others that have put in there tuppence worth. It has all been greatly received, not just on the C+E side of things but everything else I have asked on here as well.

It does restore your faith in the great British truckers, young and old, that there are nice people out there that will help and encourage each other.

Many thanks people, all of you.

That’s the Oscars speech sorted, what now? I know………airline pilot! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Safe trip now folks

Well done Giblsa

That feeling you get when the examiner tells you that you have passed is something that is hard to explain, when it happened to me (1975) I wanted to tell everybody, I was even having to hitch home from the test centre and couldn’t stop telling the people that gave me a lift what I had just achieved!!
I didn’t have wheels of my own at the time and was buzzing for days :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Good luck for the future and as long you always remember that there is something new to learn every day, you won’t go far wrong :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

All the best
Dave Penn;

Thanks Dave,

You are right about the feeling. As soon as I got in I just had to ring everyone and tell them. I actually feel like I have achieved something in my life now. Joined an exclusive club, so to speak!
I know everyday is a school day as I found out while doing rigid work. Plus you don’t find out anything if you don’t ask.

That’s why coming on here helps so much; even if you think it’s a stupid question, like the gear shift questions in this thread, I wouldn’t have known anything different if I hadn’t asked on here!

Keep smiling mate