C+E training course this week at Peter Smythe

Peter Smythe:
Hi Gaz. Reversing: dont be afraid to take a shunt - or two. If you shunt, make it count. You can, as you know, go all the way forward to the end of the reversing area. If there’s any chance of the trailer or unit getting too close to the left hand perimeter line (the one in front of the workshop), go forward. Imagine your car is parked there and figure out if you’d go forward or just risk it!

In the rain: you already know this. But double your separation distance between you and the vehicle ahead. Work a bit harder on the approach to green traffic lights - - if they change it’ll take longer to stop.

All the very best with it; stay cool and you’ll be fine.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I agree with Pete - make your shunt count if you need it.
I can’t remember if your allowed to get out and check your positioning - but I would - as that’s what you do in the real world. If in doubt get out!
Good luck mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just remember if your getting too close to a cone steer towards it good luck

And if your getting further away from it… steer away from it lol

:smiley:

Firstly, really sorry it wasn’t your day.

The turn that went wrong is the infamous Burger King turn. The approach is a narrow lane (first set of alarm bells) with railings to the left (more alarm bells). There is a bollard on your right (yet more alarm bells) and it’s clearly a tight turn (final set of alarm bells!) With all this going on, the instinct needs to be to straddle the lanes. I suspect that, if the next lane had been clear, you might well have done this. But there was traffic there held by a red light whilst your left turn only lane was showing a green filter. So the temptation is to squeeze into the lane. Sadly, it’s virtually impossible to complete the turn from that position.

We all make mistakes. Hopefully you’ll get it next time.

Google mapped that Pete and doesn’t look like the same area , was defo town centre but I remember railing on the left and also on the right as the rd curved round to the left

Hi

Just a quick question, do you think your experience Ona rigid has hampered you in any way?

I’m sure it’s been a massive help in some ways as well.

Hey Gaze, where in northwest are you from, I am from Warringron and I went with Pete smyth myself, Best of luck and keep us updated as to how you got on.

Google mapped that Pete and doesn’t look like the same area , was defo town centre but I remember railing on the left and also on the right as the rd curved round to the left
bamberg

Hi. The turn is the junction of Belvedere Street and St. Peter’s Way, Mansfield.

All test centres have a tricky turn or two - and this is ours! It is tricky but nowhere near as evil as some I know.

KALMS

How many hours practice are you doing before test?

I failed my first Class 1 test due to a silly mistake/nerves, clobbering a curb near the Kia dealer junction - Back then, it was a new route the day before and hadn’t had a chance to go round that from memory.

When I retook my Class 1, I did a few hours practice the day before, then a couple hours warm up and test the following day to settle any nerves. Passed that time.

If you try Kalms, try it out a couple days beforehand, in case it has an adverse effect on the stomach

ROG has given you the best advice. KALMS will help with settling you down before the test. Nerves are the greatest reason for tests not always going to plan and KALMS has helped some folks so certainly worth a try. Remember that you know how to drive the truck so, with KALMS and a cool head, you’re in with a good chance next week.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Warm ups before test can be a very contentious issue. The majority of our candidates have NO warm up immediately before test. Anecdotal evidence shows that the first drive can often be the best. If that is the case, let’s save it for the examiner! Having said that, there are valid exceptions.
If eg someone has previously failed a test and is coming back for a retest, a short session to sort out what happened on the previous test may be beneficial. In many cases, tests go wrong because of nerves rather than lack of ability and knowledge. In such cases, it may be that a warm up may help - or it may not. Maybe the most important issue is the comfort of the candidate.

If the person feels that they would benefit from an hour or 2 prior to test, then it should happen. But if they’re perfectly happy and it isn’t long to wait for the retest, then I can show plenty of cases where this has been successful.

What must always be borne in mind is that candidates are individuals, not numbers. What the candidate wants, the candidate should have. When arranging a retest, our candidates are asked whether or not they would like a warm up. And the choice is theirs. The only time we suggest more time is if there is a skill gap to close or, for some reason, the candidate is not able to take a retest in a short space of time.

I’m at Pete’s place this week Bamberg, my weeks class c training and test.
I appreciate your write ups, as I’m sure do many new starters. I have no doubt at some point you’ve been on the road in the truck as I’ve drove past thinking they make it look so easy! You’ll do it mate!
I struggle with nerves, but I’m going into this all ears and want to come out the best driver I can regardless how many attempts it takes. Soak up all you can, get some rest, and try to enjoy the day!
If you see me give me a shout, I’ll be the one with the shocked looking instructor and wrecked class c in tow!
I hope it works out mate.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk