Business Plans

Oh and I would also like to say that People who have things made dont flaunt it, people who THINK they have it made do. Its a known fact.

I’m afraid, (as you do), dont really think it will happen to you. You always think you can do better or know better. I made some very costly mistakes, which people like "routier " warned me about, but you live or die by the choices you make. There are people out there making money as a o/d and great , i take my hat off to them, but this forum is for advice, some times it aint going to be what you want to hear, but at least you were told (warned). I know sadly that i wont be the last o/d to go ■■■’s up, Also remember just because you are a o/d, security staff, transport managers, depot managers, warehouse people , and anybody else that hates truck drivers still think you are a low life, respect doesnt come with your o licence. Paul B not having “a go” but remeber your thread “called it a day” Sun 09 Apr.

i can see where you lads are coming from and a lot of whats been stated is true apart from the “luck” bit there is no luck involved what so ever, it’s not lucky that i pull for a firm that pays good rates on the nail because if they didn’t i wouldn’t be working for them it’s as simple as that, if my cheque dosn’t arrive on the agreed date i’m on the phone, no messing about, no excuses, i’m getting my money! i have in the past subbed for someone who thought they may not pay me, their minds were changed very quickly indeed when they realised i wasn’t about to spend months taking them to court for what i was owed. i’ve also done some work that in my eyes wasn’t viable financially but pulled off as quickly as i went on at that point i was quite happy to call it a day and move on and if i hadn’t found something worth doing thats exactly what i would have done with no regrets and no finacial loss.
there’ll be plenty who’ll say it’s not all about money etc thats a load of crap any business IS all about money and not much else, any jobs easy when your putting plenty in the bank and any jobs a bxxtard when your not.
not sure why some think that working direct for someone is the golden egg? that firm can open the yellow pages and pick from a hundred haulage firms to do their work, they’re coming to you because they think you’ll be the cheapest option, can you run your wagon/wagons cheaper than everyone else?
the advice i’ve always given is find the work first, then buy the wagon to suit not the other way round, anyone who takes on finance on a unit with out knowing what it’s going to earn deserves everything they get, i know thats a bit harsh but it’s a harsh world and nobodies gona do you any favours when it comes on top!
to the original poster who thought £1100 a week was ok, stop what your doing right now before you spend any money.

Good post Paul. Wise words. :bulb:

When I say Luck, I mean “right place at the right time”. i.e. A spanking new depot for some such co. PLC. goes up next to your operating centre/(where you run daily for a transport firm) and they call round and say/or you get chating “All the trucks you can put on the road at this good rate as we’re stuck”. First in the door, good service, need filled, job done. An extreme example but that is what I mean when talking of luck. Which is pretty much what happened to me after running for a while for the usual suspects. Luck.

The above is what all new start OD’s should always be looking for but which few get.

fair comment, being in the right place at the right time never hurt anyone :wink: