Bushes and trees on roundabouts

Santa:
Traffic lights on roundabouts can be really useful when traffic is heavy. What really pees me off is when I am forced to stop when they are completely deserted at 3am.

Exactly! That and more could all be alleviated if we adopted the American approach of turning left being allowed at a red light if it’s clear.

stu675:
more could all be alleviated if we adopted the American approach of turning left being allowed at a red light if it’s clear.

It can more often be dangerous in many cases which is why you’ll often see the sign no right turn on red there.Turning left ( or right there ) generally creates the same conflict as traffic crossing through the junction does/would
The best compromise is the no lights or roundabout and all entries stop.Its a lot easier and safer for all traffic in all directions to then merge avoiding each other from stationary.

youtu.be/7P2Zy2aQZGs

stu675:

Santa:
Traffic lights on roundabouts can be really useful when traffic is heavy. What really pees me off is when I am forced to stop when they are completely deserted at 3am.

Exactly! That and more could all be alleviated if we adopted the American approach of turning left being allowed at a red light if it’s clear.

I think the majority of people misinterpret: the RGHT ON RED,
The Law states you are permitted to turn right on red, after you have made a complete stop and yielded to other traffic and pedestrians. However YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TURN RIGHT ON RED !!! When there is two or more lanes unless prohibited you can turn Right on Red from both lanes.
You are also permitted to turn LEFT ON RED from a one way street to another one way street, with the same rules of Yielding. In all cases of turning on Red you must go into the first lane or the first available lane if clear to do so.
It must be noted though there are situations where turning on RED is prohibited and will get you a heavy fine.
The problems that occur happen because people do no stop or yield and turn into the wrong lane.

I suspect that if the UK were to adopt turning on Red it would be chaotic resulting in a great many RTA’s and serious injuries even deaths.
And in the US if you have no previous convictions you pay the fine and may be given the opportunity to go to traffic school which stops the points going on your license.

There are also cities and towns where it is illegal to use a Retarder / Exhaust Brake/ Engine Brake etc, admittedly they have to catch you in the act and if you break the law its mostly a fine for noise pollution.

Sabretooth:
after you have made a complete stop and yielded to other traffic and pedestrians. .

I would be perfectly happy with that.

I suspect that if the UK were to adopt turning on Red it would be chaotic resulting in a great many RTA’s and serious injuries even deaths.

I suspect you’re projecting the abilities of the typical American driver erroneously on to those of the British.
Not sure what any on the rest has got to do with the price of cheese.

To me a roundabout that you cannot see through it is like a vented condom

osark:
To me a roundabout that you cannot see through it is like a vented condom

Same for a motorway with a variable speed limit.Defeats the object.

Carryfast:
It’s deliberate design to blind and stop approaching traffic sometimes also fences.Thereby defeating the object of a roundabout.
Might as well make it a 4 etc way stop.

That’s called a crossroads CF mr knowledge you need to Google a bit more

Santa:

I don’t mind admitting, when I was a night driver and no one was around, I just used to sail through them. Shoot me :smiley:

As for roundabouts, like everything else on our road network, they’re not designed for trucks. We’re an after thought or probably no thought at all. If we pull out on to one of these monstrosity islands it can be quite a long time before the end of our trailer has fully cleared the exit for any cars coming round the island should they appear the instant we pull out which is often the case. Especially if you’re loaded up and driving a dodgy old DAF with an arse-chronic gear box.

Terry T:
I don’t mind admitting, when I was a night driver and no one was around, I just used to sail through them. Shoot me :smiley:

All well and good on a familiar route, but far too many enforcement cameras around these days to (reliably) get away with it.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

robthedog:

Carryfast:
It’s deliberate design to blind and stop approaching traffic sometimes also fences.Thereby defeating the object of a roundabout.
Might as well make it a 4 etc way stop.

That’s called a crossroads CF mr knowledge you need to Google a bit more

A cross roads can be two ways only give way here.
As opposed to all ways stop in the land of the free.Could also be more than 4 ways to get rid of pointless blind roundabouts or traffic lights creating needless congestion.