Buses To HGVs

Some people have watched Back to the Future so many times that they think that it is real. I had a passenger complain about me because he nearly went flying through the windscreen. I said was he wearing a seatbelt. If no, I am not zbing interested.

El Deano:

RogerOut:
Also ,old people and drunks who ■■■■ themselves on the bus. Babies and drunks who are sick on the bus. And old people who fall over, even though you are stationery with your doors open. This involves completing an accident report and even filling out a police report. All of this is in your own time. Have a prang and you’re in the managers office having a disciplinary. Also false allegations made against your that apparently two weeks ago you scratched someone’s parked car, even though you didn’t. Then you have to write a report protesting your innocence, and the person who basically committed an offence by making a false insurance claim still probably gets paid out by the bus insurance. So they get rewarded for it.

Had an old person fall over when I was on the buses, claimed I was doing 25mph and slammed the brakes on. I had pulled away from the stop to the roundabout 100yds up the road, didnt know the bus had a nitro kit upgrade.

Manager actually said to me “Are you sure you weren’t going that fast?”

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Sums up my experience of the local buses.

Coaches were OK, especially the Euro side of it. But if people moan now about being an “unpaid security guard” on a night out imagine the furore of dealing with the vehicle security, passenger welfare, hotel queries, travel questions etc etc on your time off on the tours. Its all part of the job really.

I did some Eurolines stuff too, in a way that was better. Passengers aren’t interested in the driver they just want to get A to B, they know what they need to do, and you stipp get around.

Back again on this thread. Last year I stayed out as I was on furlough and didn’t want to jump ship, with how things were last year.
Anyway, I see the hgv industry is in a bit of a crisis and many firms are taking on.
I haven’t drove a HGV 1 since I did my test, so I’m considering doing a refresher course. That’s where the decent money seems to be, doing supermarkets work, particularly Waitrose.
Are most trucks automatic or manual nowadays? I did my tests in manual trucks, wasn’t sure what most trucks are now though…

RogerOut:
Are most trucks automatic or manual nowadays? I did my tests in manual trucks, wasn’t sure what most trucks are now though…

Virtually 100% automatic nowadays Bud.

RogerOut:
Back again on this thread. Last year I stayed out as I was on furlough and didn’t want to jump ship, with how things were last year.
Anyway, I see the hgv industry is in a bit of a crisis and many firms are taking on.
I haven’t drove a HGV 1 since I did my test, so I’m considering doing a refresher course. That’s where the decent money seems to be, doing supermarkets work, particularly Waitrose.

Just jump in & learn fast - it has always been the way in this industry.
1 week to pass the test but a lifetime of learning the job(s).

I wouldn’t bother doing a refresher course. HGV driving is too varied for any refresher to be of much use.
You still won’t be able to reverse well (artic) even after a refresher if that is your worry.
If it is the forward driving you are worried about, again don’t worry. All the real learning begins after the test once you are on your own; just like all driving.
Few companies will be giving you a set route like buses so you will have to have the nous to do what needs to be done in a myriad of different situations.

I only drive trucks occasionally & after a year or so of not driving I find artics start off feeling very big on the road at the start of the shift but by the end of it they feel to have reduced back to a comfortable size. It is a feeling you don’t experience when driving trucks frequently.
You will probably stay at that first stage for longer but you will soon master them & lose the nervousness.

Existing bus drivers may be interested in this petition:
petition.parliament.uk/petitions/590718

I think what’s worrying me is leaving a secure job to perhaps a less secure job in an industry I have little experience with.
I have a mortgage and family, can’t really do the agency route. So if I apply , it will
be straight to a company.

I drive a school bus (decker 75+ seats) part time during the week and have recently started doing ad-hoc days driving C+E direct for a local haulier on weekends, bank hols and teacher training days (I understand and comply with weekly rest regs). I find swapping from one to the other no problem but have plenty of previous experience on artics. Swapping from driving a bus to a rigid lorry really shouldn’t be a problem at all - seating position and overhangs are about it, maybe gears but most trucks seem to be auto now, trees aren’t such a big deal with trucks. The main differences will be other physical aspects of the job and depending on your age and fitness that’s something you need to consider when deciding what to apply for.

My DQC covers C1, C, D1, D, all with or without E, all printed on the back of the card with the same expiry date and I have only ever done one set of CPC training every 5 years. The last set of 5 courses were all HGV specific even tho I was only driving buses at the time, I choose the course based on cost and ease of access rather than anything I might “learn” from such a mind numbing experience. What yours covers will be printed on the back of your card. As I understand it, if you have both C and D licences your DQC will automatically cover you for both and will say so on it. This may not be the case if you have passed either test since getting your latest DQC, I don’t know how it works under those circumstances as it didn’t apply to me.

RogerOut:
I think what’s worrying me is leaving a secure job

Just how secure is your job? I’ve been with my current employer for 10 years and my contract with them states that they can ■■■■ me off with 4 weeks notice or payment in lieu if any of their school contracts fail to renew, I believe that the directors are looking to sell up, for all I know I could rock up on monday to find I’m working for stagecoach, arriva or centrebus etc. and I’m sure that would see me gone by friday at the latest.

dekka:

RogerOut:
I think what’s worrying me is leaving a secure job

Just how secure is your job? I’ve been with my current employer for 10 years and my contract with them states that they can [zb] me off with 4 weeks notice or payment in lieu if any of their school contracts fail to renew, I believe that the directors are looking to sell up, for all I know I could rock up on monday to find I’m working for stagecoach, arriva or centrebus etc. and I’m sure that would see me gone by friday at the latest.

I’m with one of the big three national companies. There’s no real
competition down here with smaller firms.