Buses, coaches, & lorries

Ribble fleet number 1406, a Leyland PD2 at Old Haymarket bus terminus in the centre of Liverpool.
It is showing route number A55 to Fleetwoods Lane, about 5 or 6 miles north of the city. On the left
is one of several Bedford artic staff canteens operated by Liverpool Corporation Passenger Transport,
many of their routes terminated at this location. The new concrete flyover at the rear has been
dismantled quite recently. To the left of the picture is the Mersey Tunnel entrance and exit.

Ribble 1406...jpg

Bolton Corporation Daimler on the 43 route, Bolton to Farnworth Black Horse. This photo dates from the formation of SELNEC, the Daimler behind has already been painted in that garish livery. Whilst always predominantly a Leyland fleet Bolton did buy Daimler, Crossley and AEC buses. The location is interesting; Manchester Road at Burnden, tho old football ground of Bolton Wanderers, Burnden Park is to the rear of Greyhound Motors. The large building on the left of the photo was the depot of J. Nall, a large haulier in pre-nationalisation years. All now gone.

Ribble fleet number 1415 in Dale Street, Liverpool, on route A57, approaching the Pier Head terminus,
This bus route number and several others were a joint service with Liverpool Corporation buses.
The actual route number should read 57A, but Ribble buses only had numbers on the 3rd number blind,
but they had letters on the 1st blind, so they showed it as A57.

Ribble 1415...jpg

Ribble Leyland PD3, fleet number 1505 is arriving at the Ribble bus station in Bolton Street, Liverpool.
At the rear is the Skelhorne Street side entrance to Lime Street railway station. NMP.

There are two former Burlingham bodied Ribble PD3s still in the North West.

1523 is presently undergoing restoration in Kirkby, Liverpool:

Photograph taken about a year ago at the RVPT depot at Freckleton as 1523 was being prepared for movement to Kirkby.

1553, owned by RVPT has donated various parts to assist with the restoration of 1523:

Photographed at Freckleton some years ago, 1553 is seen still wearing a between decks advert for P Amato and Brother,
Tailors of Carlisle, (where 1553 was last used in service with Ribble).

tonyj105:

Froggy55:
I took this picture in 1972 close to Trafalgar Square. Any idea concerninig the make and model of the coaches on the right?

bedford / duple bella venture bodwork, my dad had 2 bella vega’s

tony

Thanks to you and Ray Smith!

I used to travel in such coaches when we went once a week with our school to Porchesters Baths, near Notting Hill (London). I think the place is now an art gallery. I love that style of very British bodywork.

I drove 1553 several times 1963-64 out of Ribble’s Rickergate Carlisle depot on city services, the bus was allocated to Carlisle when new in 1958 along with 27 others of the same type. Great buses to drive manual gearbox and steering no problem with air operated sliding door to the lower deck.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Any information about this Leyland bus spotted recently in South France? Thanks.

Froggy55:
Any information about this Leyland bus spotted recently in South France? Thanks.

Hi Froggy, This Leyland looks in good condition, considering it is nearly 30 years old.
From what I have learned, it has only recently come out of service with Transdev of
Harrogate in Yorkshire. Cheers, Ray.

Froggy55:

H550GKX - ECW bodied Leyland Olympian.
New to Armchair, Brentford in 1991. It was sold and eventually ended up with Blackburn Transport (which later became part of the Transdev Group).

Photograph of it in service with Blue Bus of Horwich (some time between Armchair and Transdev):

TROOPER2:

Froggy55:

New to Armchair, Brentford in 1991. It was sold and eventually ended up with Blackburn Transport (which later became part of the Transdev Group).

Photograph of it in service with Blue Bus of Horwich (some time between Armchair and Transdev):

That’s a great picture Geoff, I remember Blue Bus very well, during their time in and around Wigan.
Regarding Blue Bus, I seem to remember seeing their buses in Huddersfield in the 1990s, on the many
occasions that I drove my lorry through Huddersfield town centre on my way to the Remploy factory.

I am still trying to find a picture of Ribble 899, ECK 899E, and keep hoping that I will find one soon.

Kind regards, Ray.

TROOPER2:

Froggy55:

Sorry to be pedantic but ECW closed in 1987 and the bodybuilding side was transferred to the Leyland plant at Workington so technically this was built by Leyland to the same design as ECW (which had previously been owned by Leyland anyway). The last bus bodied by ECW was an Olympian for London Buses, D263FUL, registered in March 1987.

This Ribble bus station in the centre of Liverpool was unusual in that it was built on 2 levels.
The street where the Austin Cambridge car is at, is Skelhorne Street which is very steep.
The 2 Leyland PD3 buses are in Bolton Street, about to enter the lower section of the bus station.
Ribble fleet number 1772 has come down Skelhorne Street from Southport and is entering Bolton Street.
The Harrington bodied coach, 721, is leaving the upper level of the bus station on Hilbre Street. The floor
level of the upper section is on the same plane as the roof section of the lower level.
Click on pictures for better image. NMPs.

Ribble 1772 Skelhorne ST.jpg

Ribble Bolton Street...jpg

Ribble Bolton Street.png

[quote= "H550GKX -
ECW bodied Leyland Olympian,. by

Sorry to be pedantic but ECW closed in 1987 and the bodybuilding side was transferred to the Leyland plant at Workington so technically this was built by Leyland to the same design as ECW (which had previously been owned by Leyland anyway). The last bus bodied by ECW was an Olympian for London Buses, D263FUL, registered in March 1987.
[/quote]
Thankyou Denis Javelin - I stand corrected. Trooper2.

Not being a bus freak, but following this thread I thought someone might be interested in this

Volvo B10m Auto 1991
55 seats
12 months MOT
Good condition for age
Few age related marks
Selling due to school contract requirements

They run what I would call a collectors fleet but all tidy & still do long runs across the UK on private charters

whisperingsmith:
Not being a bus freak, but following this thread I thought someone might be interested in this

Volvo B10m Auto 1991
55 seats
12 months MOT
Good condition for age
Few age related marks
Selling due to school contract requirements

They run what I would call a collectors fleet but all tidy & still do long runs across the UK on private charters

OXI726 - New in 1991 to Shearings Holidays, Wigan as:
H173DVM - Van Hool bodied Volvo B10M

Thanks to Ray Smith and Trooper2 for the information concerning the Leyland Atlantean. Armchair sounds a strange name for a bus company!
Cheers
Paul

And what about this one? Definitely a Volvo chassis, but could it have been bodied by Leyland?

Froggy55:
And what about this one? Definitely a Volvo chassis, but could it have been bodied by Leyland?

This was bodied by Alexanders. It looks like the chassis is the double deck variant of the B10M which was called the D10M. I can’t trace the reg no so it seems to have been re-registered. I’ll keep trawling and see what I can produce.

Edit: I think it might originally have been this one hiveminer.com/Tags/alexander%2Cbluebus

Originally with Burnley & Pendle as their H115ABV. Very few of these were fitted with coach seats and this is the only one I can find with hopper style vents fitted to the front screen. If it is this chassis then it is interesting that they managed to get it re-registered to a later reg no.

This is it in Stagecoach colours busphoto.co.uk/media.details … iaID=54635

Thanks! I always thought that registration numbers were given for the life of a vehicle, wherever it moved to in the UK. Could you please tell me how it is that many buses are re-registered? Complete rebuilding, maybe?