Buses, coaches, & lorries

cav551:

oiltreader:
Hi cav551, to me just a picture, to you it will mean something with your knowledge of LT.
Oily

Thank you for both of those excellently clear pictures. Bought as trial batch of 50 vehicles the Leyland Atlantean had a short life in LT ownership. This below is the particular bus history from Ian’s Bus Stop site: The transfer of “XA30” and others to East Grinstead had two purposes, to see how the Atlantean coped with a lighter workload in Country area useage and to swap a batch of Fleetlines to Central area useage to see how they coped with the more arduous Central area which had caused problems for the Atlantean.

LT was to buy Fleetlines for the Central area, which they managed to turn into an abject failure because of their meddling with the engineering specification. Ultimately at the last knockings a surprising substitution of Iveco power for Leyland and Gardner produced a bus which worked reliably. After the split London Country successfully bought and ran the Atlantean, something the central area was unable to do.

XA 30 CUV 30C 8/65 FW new, delivered to Fulwell for storage
10/65 HT change store (Highgate)
11/65 CF into service on 24 (Chalk Farm)
6/66 AR transfer for 76, 34B (Tottenham)
5/67 EG transfer for 424, 435, 438C (East Grinstead)
1968 EG
3/69 SF transfer (Stamford Hill)
7/69 SF to Aldenham overhaul
11/69 converted to omo
11/69 NX from o/h, unlicensed (New Cross)
1/70 NX trainer…
1/70 PM transfer for P3 (omo) (Peckham)
1971 PM
12/72 PM repaint
1/73 PM withdrawn into store (Peckham)
3/73 sold to China Bus Company, Hong Kong
BD 1343 Hong Kong registration

This machine seemed to spend much of its life not actually working, with an overhaul (for 4 months!) after less than 4 years’ service, but then I couldn’t resist chuckling at the last bit:

12/72 PM repaint
1/73 PM withdrawn into store (Peckham)
3/73 sold to China Bus Company, Hong Kong

Paint it and then sell it!

Nancy, France all electric 5.46m length 22 passengers.
Oily

Bus Alexandre Prevot cc by sa 2.0 49186706846_4b60ad241a_ap k.jpg

That’s the way to do it ! nmp

coomsey:

Hi coomsey it’s a 1938 AEC Regent of Glasgow City Corporation .
Oily

oiltreader:

coomsey:

Oily

Good idea ? You’d have to watch out if you were picking passengers up mind!

oiltreader:

coomsey:

Oily

Reg no BUS148. Quite apt for a bus.

Dennis Javelin:

oiltreader:

coomsey:

Oily

US a City of Glasgow reg and the Corporatiion as I remember had an "arrangement " for a monopoly on all reg numbers with BUS of that era. During my time('57/'58) at Grangemouth Depot and running Bo’ness to Glasgow for that run we had single decker AEC Reliances, clippies and driver operated door and it was a fare stage stop only route, villages and towns.
Oily

Another AEC in the snow going through Queensbury on route to Halifax

images.app.goo.gl/Q1oszNFfcxz6NSsx6

Also in the snow (Aldergrove Airport) - Duple bodied Leyland Tiger:

oiltreader:

Dennis Javelin:

oiltreader:

coomsey:

Oily

US a City of Glasgow reg and the Corporatiion as I remember had an "arrangement " for a monopoly on all reg numbers with BUS of that era. During my time('57/'58) at Grangemouth Depot and running Bo’ness to Glasgow for that run we had single decker AEC Reliances, clippies and driver operated door and it was a fare stage stop only route, villages and towns.
Oily

They only used reg no’s BUS 101-200. Later in 1938 they used BYS and CUS prefixes so I don’t think they even thought of the reg no as being that significant. It was only in the late 40’s and 50’s when they used the FYS prefix and late 50’s early 60’s when they had SGD that they had a monopoly over a set of reg no’s. As far as I can remember the FYS prefix was used for a variety of Corporation vehicles not just buses but the SGD prefix was certainly only ever used for buses. They stopped using the SGD prefix when the suffix letters came in during the early 60’s starting with AGA101B…

Hello Dennis Javelin, Welcome to TrucknetUK and the " Old Time Lorries " section.
With you being from Glasgow, I think you may be interested in the Connals of Maryhill thread that I started a short while ago
I started this " Buses "thread last year. For a short time in 1973, I drove for Connals of Maryhill, Glasgow, as part of their Wigan operation.
Three of their Maryhill drivers would drive down to Wigan overnight, and we at Wigan would deliver their full loads to Corn Products in
Manchester. Usually, the return loads for Scotland would be “Double Deck” loads of bottles from Rockware Glass at Doncaster, Garston,
or St Helens. The southbound loads would be bottles of Mazola cooking oil from Brown & Polson at Paisley, and the return bottle loads
went to Brown & Polson. Have a look at the Connals thread that I started on this section. Click on pictures for full images.
Pictures courtesy of Eddie Heaton.

Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
Hello Dennis Javelin, Welcome to TrucknetUK and the " Old Time Lorries " section.
With you being from Glasgow, I think you may be interested in the Connals of Maryhill thread that I started a short while ago
I started this " Buses "thread last year. For a short time in 1973, I drove for Connals of Maryhill, Glasgow, as part of their Wigan operation.
Three of their Maryhill drivers would drive down to Wigan overnight, and we at Wigan would deliver their full loads to Corn Products in
Manchester. Usually, the return loads for Scotland would be “Double Deck” loads of bottles from Rockware Glass at Doncaster, Garston,
or St Helens. The southbound loads would be bottles of Mazola cooking oil from Brown & Polson at Paisley, and the return bottle loads
went to Brown & Polson. Have a look at the Connals thread that I started on this section. Click on pictures for full images.
Pictures courtesy of Eddie Heaton.

Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the welcome. Although my main transport interest is buses I spent a large part of my working life in transport within the NFC so I did have a great deal of experience of “buses without passengers”. I remember Connal’s well and look forward to reading the thread.

Tommy

One of the first batch of 30ft Leyland PD3 buses for Ribble….bodywork by Burlingham in Blackpool.

A new 30ft Leyland PD3 with bodywork by Northern Counties seen here at Spencer Road, Wigan,
a location used regularly by Northern Counties for bus photography. Northern Counties factory
was just 500 yards from this location, and the depot of Wigan Corporation was about 2 miles
away at Melverley Street, on the south side of the town centre.

Ribble fleet number 1769, a Leyland 30ft PD3 from the early 1960s, with bodywork by Metro-Cammell.
If you had one of these PD3 machines that was in good fettle for your days work, they were great to drive.

Ray Smyth:
Ribble fleet number 1769, a Leyland 30ft PD3 from the early 1960s, with bodywork by Metro-Cammell.
If you had one of these PD3 machines that was in good fettle for your days work, they were great to drive.

Photo taken pretty much from standing in my parents’ gateway in Frenchwood! This photo was in in one of the Ian Allan Ribble books

A 29 seater Mercedes-Benz of Autocares Rodrigues from Los Gallardos in Almeria province, Spain.

Leyland Atlantean of Barrow Corporation, with bodywork by Northern Counties of Wigan.

Mercedes-Benz coach of Garcia Bus, who I think are from Lorca in the province of Murcia, Spain.

Photo0063.jpg

Optare single deck bus seen in Blackpool on route 44A to Cleveleys.