Buses, coaches, & lorries

Does anyone think we could get back to these lovely old Sunbeams ?

Second only to selling off the stock of council houses without replacing them, then getting rid of the trolleybus was without doubt the biggest mistake ever made by local government.

Hi cav551 I remember staying in Southsea on holiday back about 1954 /5 travelling down from ■■■■■■■ on a Ribble “Easy Way Holiday” whereby my parent and I travelled on a Ribble Leyland bodied Royal Tiger from Carlisle leaving about 5pm to Preston changing to an identical Standerwick Royal Tiger and down to London Victoria for approx 6-30 am We were due to change onto a Southdown coach to Southsea but were placed on a Wilts & Dorset dual doorway Bristol LS ECW saloon instead on hire to Southdown. Staying in an hotel opposite South Parade Pier watching all the Southdown departures from nearby the pier plus the seaborn traffic through the Solent was a great experience for a young lad. Portsmouth Corporation open toppers regularly passed en route to Hayling Ferry from Clarence Pier which were the Leyland TD4s We took the return journey to Hayling Ferry on one of them possibly No 5 but cannot remember now. I remember a breezy ride my first time on an open topper and have not been on one since until this summer travelling from Sandbanks to Swanage on an Egyptian bodied (MCV) Volvo belonging to the Go Ahead group. This was a fantastic holiday with three Southdown excursions to Windsor, (Royal Tiger, Duple Ambassador) Midhurst on a Leyland Beadle rebuild and Bournemouth on another Royal Tiger Duple can’t remember the body model.
Cheers, Leyand 600

Hi Tyneside and Kevmac, In 1989 when looking for a replacement Leyland Leopard coach and after a number of fruitless journeys to view coaches which were supposed to be in top condition turning out to be ready for the scrapyards I found that Thirwell’s had a Leopard for sale, I was a tad disgruntled from past experience and nearly did not bother to go and see the coach but had a gut feeling that I should at least go and have a look. Drove over to Swalwell one evening and got a very pleasant surprise as the coach was exactly what I was looking for (Leyland 680, 5 speed pneumo-cyclic box and a two speed axle plus bodywork in good condition) I had a test drive and decided that although higher priced than anything I had seen decided to buy it.
I brought it home in early December 1989 had it repainted in my company livery and put it to work on private hires, excursions and tours plus some school contract work. I had very little trouble during the 15 years I operated it mostly driving myself and sold it on for preservation in early 2005 on retirement. Originally leased in a batch to National Travel South West at Cheltenham by Kirkby Central in 1976 it ran on National Express duties for approximately 4 years then sold to Thirwell’s who ran it on excursions and tours. It has been restored into Black & White Motorways livery by the present owner who drove it when new for National Travel South West and is still going well I believe. Rowell’s of Prudhoe had sister coach SDD 137R.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . Buses,Motorcoaches & Lorries . Pages 34 & 35 . Leyland Motorcoach . Trolleybuses .VALKYRIE . Tuesday,20th August,
2019 .

QUOTE:-
OilTreader Tuesday, 20th August, 2019 8:34 am. Page 34.

1963 and Butters of Market Drayton Leyland in Wellington.
Oily UNQUOTE.

VALKYRIE replies:-

Leyland Tiger PS2/3/Harrington Dorsal Fin C37F Motorcoach,CN 500380 LN 570,BN 883,MKA 756,3-1951,Butters of Market Drayton,Wellington,Shropshire,Saturday, 31st August ,1963 Dr Neil Clifton-OilTreader.New to MacShane’s Commercial Motors Ltd,Liverpool.
NOTE:According to the records this Leyland motorcoach was an FC37F,but its clearly an half cab - half canopy :exclamation: Thus the records are either
mistaken,or the original full front body was replaced with the Harrington half cab body as shown in the photograph,a process which was by
no means rare in the motorcoach and bus operating industry :slight_smile:

.Leyland Tiger PS2,3,Harrington Dorsal Fin F37F Motorcoach,CN 500380 LN 570,BN 883,MKA 756,3-1951,Butters,Wellington,Shropshire,Saturday, 31st August ,1963 Dr Neil Clifton-OilTreader.1#.jpg

Toshboy Tuesday, 20th August, 2019 12:46 pm

London Trolley Bus

Does anyone think we could get back to these lovely old Sunbeams ? :question: UNQUOTE. Page 35.

Cav551 Tuesday, 20th August, 2019 3:03 pm

Second only to selling off the stock of council houses without replacing them, then getting rid of the trolleybus was without doubt the biggest mistake ever made by local government. UNQUOTE.

AEC - English-Electric 664T204,English-Electric 406A1 95HP Electric Motor,MCCW H38/32R Double Decker Trolleybus,CUL 256,London,new 8-1936,London Transport C2 Class,No.256.1#

The last trolleybus operator in the United Kingdom was Bradford,in West Yorkshire,its trolleybus system ceased operating on Sunday,26th March,
1972 - diesel buses had seen off trolleybuses and trams throughout the United Kingdom…with one exception:Blackpool still had its trams! :exclamation: :slight_smile:
Ironically,a little over a year and 7 months later this burst upon us! :exclamation: :imp: :unamused: :-

From WIKIPEDIA:- The 1973 oil crisis began in October 1973 when the members of the Organization of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries proclaimed an oil embargo. The embargo was targeted at nations perceived as supporting Israel during the Yom Kippur War.[1] The initial nations targeted were Canada, Japan, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and the United States with the embargo also later extended to Portugal, Rhodesia and South Africa. By the end of the embargo in March 1974,[2] the price of oil had risen nearly 400%, from US$3 per barrel to nearly $12 globally; US prices were significantly higher. The embargo caused an oil crisis, or “shock”, with many short- and long-term effects on global politics and the global economy.[3] It was later called the “first oil shock”, followed by the 1979 oil crisis, termed the “second oil shock.”

If you want to read the whole Oil Crisis 1973 article here is the link:-
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_oil_crisis

During the last 30-odd years the tram has made a big comeback to United Kingdom towns and cities,such as London,Nottingham,Sheffield and
quite a few others,and Blackpool has expanded its tram network and bought some modern tramcars whilst retaining its historic heritage tram
fleet :slight_smile:
Cities such as Manchester and Sheffield operate tram-trains trams that can operate on railway lines as well as dedicated tram lines - which
increases the coverage of districts served with tram services. Sheffield this year has opened a new tram-train service from the Meadowhall
Shopping Centre,via Rotherham town centre,to the Parkgate Retail Park and back,and uses both tram and railway lines.

I personally wish that trolleybuses would also make a comeback in to the towns and cities of the United Kingdom,and it could be done a
lot cheaper than a tram system:-
Tram System: Everything has to be designed from scratch and is twice the expense of a trolleybus system: 1. New trams,2. new overhead power
lines,3. new tramways and tramlines.

Trolleybus System: 1.A single decker or double decker bus model could be used as the basis for a trolleybus,which would cut down on costs,instead
of having to design a trolleybus from the ground up,2. overhead power lines,3. trolleybuses can run on existing roadways,bus lanes,
guided busways,4. trolleybuses have been designed as articuled and multi-articulated,high capacity passenger-carrying vehicles,5. trolleybuses
are used in other parts of the world :slight_smile: So why not in the United Kingdom? :question: :unamused: :slight_smile:

I could go on and on about this subject :slight_smile: South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive in 1985 did design and build an experimental trolleybus,
with a view to having trolleybus systems in two former trolleybus towns,Rotherham and Doncaster. This experimental trolleybus was based on
the then existing Dennis Dominator double decker bus model,which at that time was the South Yorkshire PTE standard double decker bus.
The SYPTE built a trial trolleybus track,near to Doncaster racecourse,for trial runs. This Dennis trolleybus had a Dorman diesel electricity
generator which powered this vehicle when it was off-line,i.e.disconnected from the overhead power line :slight_smile:

However,due to the deregulation and privatisation of the motorcoach and bus operating industry from 1986,the project was unfortunately dropped.

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … s-at-races

This Dennis trolleybus is now preserved and can be sometimes seen at the famous trolleybus museum at Sandtoft where many preserved trolleybuses can been seen running and the general public can have rides on them :slight_smile: :-

Sandtoft Transport Centre - Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum,near Doncaster.

sandtoft.org.uk/

Dennis Dominator DTA1401/101,GEC 410/17J 177 HP Electric Motor,Alexander RHT/3084/1 H47/33F Double Decker Trolleybus,C45 HDT,ex-B450 CKW,South Yorkshire’s Transport Electroline,2450.1985.Sandtoft.1#

VALKYRIE

Very interesting! Until today, I didn’t know that Sunbeam had produced heavy vehicles!

Sunbeam did indeed make PSV chassis.

historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/ … unbeam.htm

NO 72 a Sunbeam W4 was the last trolleybus to run on the very small Maidstone system.

flickr.com/photos/carley1961/40191118472

Maidstone also ran Ransomes Simms and Jeffries Trolleybuses in the 1920s

player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/wat … 929-online

Froggy55:
Very interesting! Until today, I didn’t know that Sunbeam had produced heavy vehicles!

Reading corporation had a large fleet of Sunbeam and Karrier trolleybuses when I lived there, four and six wheelers, a bus stop was actually in our garden! When they finished in 1968 the remaining few were sold off to (I think?) Bradford. A few remain at the Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum which an old neighbour of mine in Reading now manages, we did have a vintage rally there for the past two years but that has now been stopped alas.

‘Trollies’ were ok up to a point, however they required a power station at the depot and were restricted to routes as any road closures etc rendered them useless! Also parked vehicles caused problems and on some junctions in Reading, notably Cemetary Junction, the poles regularly dropped off much to the amusement of the public watching the conductor relocating them with the long pole! :laughing:

One turning at the Three Tuns terminus on the Wokingham Road, not my pic.

561940_b252bcec.jpg

Pete.

windrush:

Froggy55:

Reading corporation had a large fleet of Sunbeam and Karrier trolleybuses when I lived there, four and six wheelers, a bus stop was actually in our garden! When they finished in 1968 the remaining few were sold off to (I think?) Bradford. A few remain at the Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum which an old neighbour of mine in Reading now manages, we did have a vintage rally there for the past two years but that has now been stopped alas.

‘Trollies’ were ok up to a point, however they required a power station at the depot and were restricted to routes as any road closures etc rendered them useless! Also parked vehicles caused problems and on some junctions in Reading, notably Cemetary Junction, the poles regularly dropped off much to the amusement of the public watching the conductor relocating them with the long pole! :laughing:

One turning at the Three Tuns terminus on the Wokingham Road, not my pic.

Pete.

As to be expected Wolverhampton Corporation also ran a fleet of Sunbeam Trolley’s, I think they may have been one of the last to use trolley buses, I seem to recall that Wolverhampton had quiet a number of ex Bournemouth buses in the fleet, all the remaining Sunbeam works has been split up in to units and the building were they made the cycles/motorbikes had been converted in to flats, Cheer’s Pete

In 1999, Citybus of Hong Kong looked into the feasibility of using Trolleybuses.
They chose their Wong Chuk Hang Depot as the location for a circular length of overhead with a suitable power supply.
One of their Caetano bodied Dennis Dragons, - (GD1492) - was modified and became a fully working Trolleybus.
After demonstrating the system to the appropriate authorities and suggesting a route which they considered suitable for conversion to trolleybuses, the project was cancelled.

Two photographs of GD1492: One as a bus, the second after conversion -

South Yorkshire had the Electroline dual power bus which is also preserved at the Sandtoft museum.

Pete.

I have often been amused by some of the names on the destination blinds of buses.

These are some that appeared on the destination blinds of Wigan Corporation buses.

Dangerous Corner
New Springs
Red Rock
Bleachworks
Plank Lane
Windy Arbour
Boars Head
Pony ■■■■
Bottling Wood

Ray Smyth.

333 Dangerous Corner.jpg

VALKYRIE:

London Trolley Bus

Does anyone think we could get back to these lovely old Sunbeams ? :question: UNQUOTE. Page 35.

Second only to selling off the stock of council houses without replacing them, then getting rid of the trolleybus was without doubt the biggest mistake ever made by local government. UNQUOTE.

AEC - English-Electric 664T204,English-Electric 406A1 95HP Electric Motor,MCCW H38/32R Double Decker Trolleybus,CUL 256,London,new 8-1936,London Transport C2 Class,No.256.1#
[attachment=1]AEC - English-Electric 664T204,English-Electric 406A1 95HP Electric Motor,MCCW H38,32R Double Decker Trolleybus,CUL 256,London,new 8-1936,London Transport C2 Class,No.256.1#.jpg[/attachment
VALKYRIE

AEC had its own trolley bus testing track at Southall

gingerfold:

VALKYRIE:

London Trolley Bus

[attachment=1]AEC - English-Electric 664T204,English-Electric 406A1 95HP Electric Motor,MCCW H38,32R Double Decker Trolleybus,CUL 256,London,new 8-1936,London Transport C2 Class,No.256.1#.jpg[/attachment
VALKYRIE

AEC had its own trolley bus testing track at Southall

Bradford was the last city in England to stop using trolley buses i think it was 1972 ,there’s a video of it on Youtube

Wigan Corporation fleet number 166 was the first Leyland Atlantean that they bought.
It is seen here soon after it was built by Northern Counties , and before it went to
The Commercial Motor Show at Earls Court in 1968.

Ex London Transport AEC RT bus KGK 741, now with Red Rover of Aylesbury, and 2 City Of Oxford AECs.

Three Leyland Atlanteans with bodywork by Northern Counties of Wigan,
seen here in the Blackburn depot of Ribble Motor Services. NMP. Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
Ex London Transport AEC, now with Red Rover, with 2 City Of Oxford AECs.

One of the rather different Cravens built RT bodies which were withdrawn from service after only a short time and sold off to provincial operators.

RT 1482 KGK 741 9/49 new, body 2761: Cravens roofbox 3RT3/4
9/49 AH new, red, cream uppers (Nunhead)
10/53 X from o/h (Middle Row)
*/55 SW transfer (Stockwell)
8/55 DS transfer into store (Dorking)…
8/55 SW …change store
3/56 WR change store (Windsor)
4/56 WA change store (Watford)
5/56 WA …and out
7/56 WA withdrawn
8/56 S transfer into store (Shepherds Bush)
1/57 S in store
1/57 sold to Birds, (Stratford upon Avon)
1/57 bought by Red Rover, Aylesbury, #3
2/57 into service
1/60 in service with Red Rover
7/61 loaned by Associated British Picture Corporation in Elstree films: “The Young Ones”
*/62 loaned for “The Pot Carriers”
9/62 accident-damaged: withdrawn: engine removed
6/63 body frame and chassis

countrybus.org/RT/RT3c.htm#top

Oily