Buses, coaches, & lorries

Ribble 1036, a Leyland Leopard with Harrington Cavalier bodywork
at the 21st Leyland Gathering yesterday, July 7th, 2019 in Leyland.

Ray Smyth.

Ribble 1397, Leyland Atlantean with Park Royal bodywork at the 21st Leyland Gathering
yesterday, July 7th, 2019 in Leyland, Lancashire.

20180403_155721.jpg

Fishwicks of Leyland PD2, and North Western Road Car Co. Leyland Tiger Cub
seen yesterday, July 7th, 2019 at the 21st Leyland Gathering in Leyland, Lancashire.
Ray Smyth.

I did a Carlisle Glasgow express one Saturday morning during Glasgow Fair in 1964 in one of these Harrington bodied Leopards, this one has been well restored by David Prescott from Preston. They were a very nice motor to drive and a classic design built by Thos Harrington Ltd in Hove, Sussex.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
I did a Carlisle Glasgow express one Saturday morning during Glasgow Fair in 1964 in one of these Harrington bodied Leopards, this one has been well restored by David Prescott from Preston. They were a very nice motor to drive and a classic design built by Thos Harrington Ltd in Hove, Sussex.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Yes Gerald, they were a fine machine to drive. In the summer of 1969 we had 2 of them at Wigan depot to
cover the extra holiday traffic, known here as “Wakes Weeks”, when the town became deserted because
a large portion of the local population had gone to Blackpool and other seaside resorts. I did a couple of
trips on 721, one of the 36ft 49 seaters. Regards, Ray.

This location is the frontage of the original Northern Counties bus bodywork factory
on the A49, about 1 mile north of Wigan town centre.
The 3 new buses ready for delivery are Daimler Fleetlines with lowheight bodywork
for Southend Corporation. Picture by Tom Sutch.

Northern Counties.jpg

This is the same location as the picture above. A Daimler Fleetline for Western Scottish.
Picture by Tom Sutch.

NC 1.jpg

A new Cleveland Transit Daimler Fleetline about to depart from Northern Counties
factory at Wigan in 1980, and make its way to the North East. Picture by Tom Sutch.

NC 3.jpg

A Western Scottish Daimler Fleetline reversing into the finishing shop at
Northern Counties factory at Wigan in 1979. Picture by Tom Sutch.

By the turn of the Century, Northern Counties had become part of Transbus:

Several members of the Hong Kong Transport Society were visiting the UK and the opportunity was taken to give them a ride on the Ribble Vehicle Preservation Trust’s preserved 1935 Leyland Tiger TS7 with 1949 Burlingham bodywork. The Visitors were staying in Manchester. The Tiger picked them up at Wigan Railway station and took them for a morning visit to the Northern Counties factory at Pemberton where the Tiger is seen at the front of the factory alongside a newly completed Dennis Trident for Southern Vectis.
Rest of the day was taken up with a visit to Preston Bus and the RVPT Depot at Freckleton. Early evening saw a ride on RVPTs White Lady Leyland Atlantean coach for the short journey to Blackpool to see the trams and buses before catching their train back to Manchester

Ribble Leyland Atlantean 1397 at the 21st Leyland Gathering at the
British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland, Lancashire, July 7th 2019.
Earlier picture of 1397 on page 33 with wonky picture is now corrected
after I turned it the right way up. :wink: :laughing:

Ray Smyth.

20180403_155721.jpg

This is the Bootle depot of Ribble Motor Services in Liverpool. There were two more
Ribble depots in Liverpool, one at Aintree, and one at Skelhorne Street in the centre
of the city. These three Leyland Atlanteans are from the 1970s, two with bodywork
by Eastern Coachworks , and one by Park Royal. Ray Smyth.

Ribble Hawthorne Road.jpg

Ribble 1662, a lowheight Leyland Atlantean on route 259, which was from
Wigaan to Blackburn via Chorley about 1971. I think this location is the
bus station at Chorley which was “Head in…Reverse out”.

Ray Smyth.

Ribble 1662.jpg

In 1913, the Bristol Tramway & Carriage Company bought a few Berliet CAT buses. No idea if its double deck bodywork is British or French made.

This Leyland PD3 is fleet number 1760 of Ribble Motor Services on route 122 to Preston.
I posted 2 pictures of 1760 on page 3 of this thread last August, one of the pictures of
when it was at the rear of Ribble Wigan depot,1971, painted in overall yellow as an advert
for Lennons Supermarket, what a dreadful sight !!. The other picture was when it was
in its later days, based at Preston. This picture is by Bob Downham. I am grateful to
Bernard Ashcroft for information, Bernard and Bob are members of The Ribble Enthusiasts Club.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Ribble Leyland Leopard 215 on a rainy day in the late 1960s at Wigan Bus Station.

Two more pictures of Ribble Leyland PD3 1760 in its later days in the 1970s when it was based at Preston.
I drove 1760 many times in the late 1960s, usually on route 320, Wigan to Liverpool, or route 376,
Wigan to Southport. Pictures by Mike Rhodes.

Ray Smyth.

Click on pages twice to read.

A FODEN-NC double decker bus with bodywork by Northern Counties ready to leave the
factory, and set off across the Pennines to West Yorkshire Transport at Leeds on Trade Plates.

Two left-hand drive Leyland Atlanteans with bodywork by Northern Counties of Wigan,
ready to set off to the docks to be transported by ship to Kuwait.