Buses, coaches, & lorries

Leyland600:
I did work for CMS 1980- 86 up to deregulation when the opportunity arose to start my coaching business.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Sorry I must have missed the CMS bit in earlier posts Gerald ! Cheers Dennis.

Ribble Leyland Breakdown Bus BD1. Picture by Dan, Bootle Forum.

This is the Ribble bus station and depot in Southport in the early 1970s.
The building was formerly a Railway Station. The coach peeping in from
the left looks like a Bristol of West Yorkshire Roadcar Company.
picture by Dan, Bootle Forum,

With the weekend coming up I thought some, and particularly Carryfast, might be interested in this guy’s You Tube Channel. Plenty of the Screaming Jimmies under repair or out on the road and some really dodgy jacking up! but aren’t the vehicles themselves something?

Since this is essentially what I used to do to old fairground lorries in similar conditions and still do to old buses and the occasional lorry in more civilised surroundings, I must say I genuinely admire the guy who travels around the US in this lovely 1947 GM pd 3751 called ‘Lenny’ youtube.com/watch?v=3dfKoBCJIIQ

youtube.com/user/avonpictur … shelf_id=1

cav551:
With the weekend coming up I thought some, and particularly Carryfast, might be interested in this guy’s You Tube Channel. Plenty of the Screaming Jimmies under repair or out on the road and some really dodgy jacking up! but aren’t the vehicles themselves something?

Blimey I didn’t know there was such a thing as a 12v71 powered bus. :smiley: That’s a 400 hp + motor.In a 10t ? vehicle. :open_mouth: I’d love to drive that thing or even buy it if only I had room on the drive to put it.

youtube.com/watch?v=-YFNqyvkMi8

On that note picture that driven like this on the A25. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

youtube.com/watch?v=IA-kVLTWqek

Due to my techy mate doing a bit of fettling to the personal transport, I was again forced to “enjoy” the delights of one of Arriva’s Optaire puddle-jumpers for the 2 mile trip home.
Can any of you bus experts inform me if and when Optaire are going to start fitting suspension to their products? The Bristols and Guys of sixty years ago were vastly more comfortable than these modern abortions. Going for a hot shower and a good rub of Deep Heat: Hopefully there is no permanent damage!

Ribble Leyland Leopard DP, Fleet Number 829, with Marshall bodywork.

Click on page twice.

Advert from 1960.

Snippet from 1962.

Hi ROF you are spot on comparing the old Bristols and Guys of 60 years ago with the so called modern Optares those throbbing old Gardners were music to the ears compared to the unholy racket these modern state of the art buses (bangers) plus they only last about 6 years if they are lucky and not scrapped prematurely.
Here are some photos of the 1953 ex Rawtenstall Corporation No 18 a Leyland bodied PD 2/12 which I bought and restored in 1976,after rallying for a few years I sold it back to Rawtenstall then it passed through a few hands until about 5 years ago when bought by a chap in Somerset who extensively rebuilt tht to follow.the rear chassis frame and bodywork plus having it retrimmed all nicely done. However he decided to paint the bus in Scout Motors of Preston livery. I got to drive the bus again 2 years ago after a break of 36 years finding that it was as nice to drive as the day I sold it. I rode on it again three weeks ago at the Ribble 100 event with a round trip from Morecambe Stadium - Heysham - Carnforth and back to Morecambe with a full load, the 66 year old bus handled the trip effortlessly truly a great performance but of course the PD2/12 with 0/600 engine and Leyland body was the ultimate provincial double decker.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Due to my techy mate doing a bit of fettling to the personal transport, I was again forced to “enjoy” the delights of one of Arriva’s Optaire puddle-jumpers for the 2 mile trip home.
Can any of you bus experts inform me if and when Optaire are going to start fitting suspension to their products? The Bristols and Guys of sixty years ago were vastly more comfortable than these modern abortions. Going for a hot shower and a good rub of Deep Heat: Hopefully there is no permanent damage!

My sentiments exactly ROF. On the few occasions i have subjected myself to a trip into town on a Volvo/Wright of 1st ,my first thoughts where,‘I do not remember Birminghams, Guys,Daimlers,Leylands and Crossleys back in the 50/60s, being as rough and harsh as this.’!!

pyewacket947v:

Retired Old ■■■■:

My sentiments exactly ROF. On the few occasions i have subjected myself to a trip into town on a Volvo/Wright of 1st ,my first thoughts where,‘I do not remember Birminghams, Guys,Daimlers,Leylands and Crossleys back in the 50/60s, being as rough and harsh as this.’!!

This should do the trick ROF, it caught my eye at the recent Tyne Tees Run.
Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

pyewacket947v:

Retired Old ■■■■:

This should do the trick ROF, it caught my eye at the recent Tyne Tees Run.
Regards Kev.0

Hi , Kev, Whens the next doe At the Labour Club in the toon, Im getting thirstey, :sunglasses: :laughing: :angry: , Regards Hip Flask Larry.

Thanks for the replies, chaps- glad I’m not the only one to detest these so-called “modern” buses!
I had thought that it was maybe a money saving effort as in my failing memory I seem to recall the old buses- particularly double deckers- had a propensity to break spring leaves quite regularly, but then I remembered the first Bristol Lodekka on air suspension was a ■■■■ sight more passenger-friendly than the modern offerings, so it must have been possible even in the 1960s to build a bus with comfortable air suspension.
Not advanced a great deal, have we?

Ribble Leyland Leopard 702, with bodywork by Duple.

Ribble Duple.jpg

Ray Smyth:
Ribble Leyland Leopard 702, with bodywork by Duple.

For several years, this was the team coach for Preston North End, but I think it just did ordinary coaching work during the week.

Watford Gap Services M1 Northbound, October 30th 1965. A group of Ribble, Scout, and Standerwick
coaches all heading north to various destinations, Keswick, Kendal, Blackpool, Preston, Colne, Wigan,
Liverpool, Manchester, etc. Other stops before they entered their own area were, amongst others,
Coventry, Birmingham, Stafford, Stoke, & Warrington. Picture by Barrie.

I was surprised when Ribble decided to by Bedford coaches. This one, fleet no. 854,
reg. no. CRN 854 D was the first of 10 with 32 seat Plaxton Panorama bodywork bought
specifically for the coach tour holidays. They were a smart looking coach, but they
did not remain with Ribble very long.

Ray Smyth:
I was surprised when Ribble decided to by Bedford coaches. This one, fleet no. 854,
reg. no. CRN 854 D was the first of 10 with 32 seat Plaxton Panorama bodywork bought
specifically for the coach tour holidays. They were a smart looking coach, but they
did not remain with Ribble very long.

They were certainly a bit “left field” for Ribble - they were kept for only three years, as opposed to the usual 10+ for a Leopard. I recall reading that they were fitted with seats removed from the previous Harrington Cavalier touring fleet, whilst the old ones were re-seated from 32 to 41 for general coach duties.

Ribble 0855 [CRN855D] by maljoe, on Flickr

Davies Coaches of Chadderton former Ribble Bedford Vam CRN858D by Mike Rhodes, on Flickr

There are a few other photos on Flickr, Ray, but their settings prevent sharing. If you look on Flickr and search “Bedford Ribble CRN” or just “Ribble VAM” or similar

Ray Smyth:
Watford Gap Services M1 Northbound, October 30th 1965. A group of Ribble, Scout, and Standerwick
coaches all heading north to various destinations, Keswick, Kendal, Blackpool, Preston, Colne, Wigan,
Liverpool, Manchester, etc. Other stops before they entered their own area were, amongst others,

I had several trips down to London and back on the Atlanteans when I was about 5 or 6, and my grandfather was in the Royal London Hospital, and they made a huge impression on me. Being born and schooled in Frenchwood also helped :slight_smile:

240 Gardner:

Ray Smyth:

I had several trips down to London and back on the Atlanteans when I was about 5 or 6, and my grandfather was in the Royal London Hospital, and they made a huge impression on me. Being born and schooled in Frenchwood also helped :slight_smile:

Chris, Thank you for the Ribble Bedford information. I travelled on the “Gay Hostess” Atlanteans a few times
in the 1960s to go to the Commercial Vehicle Show at Earls Court, usually on the night service from Wigan.

Regards, Ray.