Buses, coaches, & lorries

cav551:
To meet the request for more on Birmingham, some footage of Birmingham in 1964 with a few corporation buses. I remember the first time trying to find the wholesale fruit market round the back of the Bull Ring in the dark at about 4am. I recognise the slope up to the roundabout even now and the last time I went there was about 1977.

I took a load of Christmas trees to the Bull Ring market in about 1964. Totally illegal- I was only 19, driving a Ford Trader for a mate who “Didn’t want anything to do with the load”. The customers were a pair of brothers who travelled with me, having “Found” the trees lying in a forestry site. They managed to sell half the load in Birmingham then we took the rest to- I believe- Kidderminster where they got rid of the rest.
I never did get paid for the trip. The brothers said they had settled up with the owner of the lorry and of course he told me that the brothers had agreed to pay me cash.
Lesson learned. :blush:

Western Flyer Coaches have been made in Winnipeg, Manitoba, since the 1930’s. They are now known as New Flyer Inc. This pair of “Deck and a Half” coaches are owned by the Manitoba Transit Heritage Association, a friendly bunch that allow anybody to go in and have nose-around; so different from the look-but-don’t-touch classic car clique.

Crossleys.
Oily

A manufacturer not mentioned so far is Karrier, who had a short lived venture into full size PSV production. The two links give more details about the failings of their WL6 double deck six wheeler of 1926/7 vintage, and also the tragic tale of an accident which befell a lady passenger on one of Wallasey Corporation’s WL6s.

old-bus-photos.co.uk/?p=2221

historyofwallasey.co.uk/wall … index.html

I should add that the first link also has a redirection embedded to more information about Crossleys.

cav551:
To meet the request for more on Birmingham, some footage of Birmingham in 1964 with a few corporation buses. I remember the first time trying to find the wholesale fruit market round the back of the Bull Ring in the dark at about 4am. I recognise the slope up to the roundabout even now and the last time I went there was about 1977.

youtube.com/watch?v=IFGLNvBMmBo

Thanks for that cav551, wonderful, just as i remember it.

Date unknown but sometime in the 60s
BCT Guy Arab JOJ 941 (2941) parked at the side of Selly Oak depot.
I had proberly put it there to prevent visitors to the Labour Exchange, as it was known as then, parking cars
across the top of the driveway that ran along side the depot and blocking it as we stored buses waiting to be washed.

Ray Smyth:
From the mid 1950s, this former Railway Station in Southport became a Bus Station of Ribble Motor Services. NMP.
Ray Smyth.

I remember using that bus station as a child. The building was an imposing 1930s(?) red brick pile, as were the others around it. That part of Southport was very attractive, with the tourist stuff to the South and the shopping to the North. With public transport having decamped to the other end of town, the bus station and its neighbours have fallen into the hands of tat shops. To compound that folly, the new railway/bus station complex is an eyesore.
c1.staticflickr.com/9/8389/8557 … 5bd1_b.jpg

This was a flying machine,cruised at 80mph ! :laughing:

Click on pages twice to read.

What’s the make of the flying coach? 80 mph was the max speed of my 1974 MB O302.

Froggy55:
What’s the make of the flying coach? 80 mph was the max speed of my 1974 MB O302.

I expected it to be a Leyland or AEC chassis but, according to this, the operator used to build its own:

midlandred.net/vehicles/fleetinf … e=overview

CM5T was the one. 8 litres, turbocharged, vehicles in operation ready for the opening of the M1. The company’s engineering was better-managed than Leyland’s and AEC’s, so it seems.

[zb]
anorak:

Froggy55:

I expected it to be a Leyland or AEC chassis but, according to this, the operator used to build its own:

CM5T was the one. 8 litres, turbocharged, vehicles in operation ready for the opening of the M1. The company’s engineering was better-managed than Leyland’s and AEC’s, so it seems.

They’d appear in your mirror n before you knew it they were gone. Never recall seeing one on the hard shoulder. They were some machine in their day.

Froggy55:

Birmingham Midland Motor Omnibus.

BMMO CM5
Kidderminster Railway Station
11 October 1986

Spoiling you pyewacket947v :slight_smile: , what about this one, Daimler Fleetline with Marshall single deck bodywork, bit unusual.
Oily

Bus Brum Elliot Brown cc by nc sa 2.0 10102309474_f0f36b1fe7eb _k.jpg

IMG_20181018_180638.jpg
Fiats apparently, Coalville Leics

hayday:
Skipton

Is PJX 35 a Leopard or a Worldmaster ? thank you Trevor

Coomsey:
Fiats apparently, Coalville Leics

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . BUSES,MOTORCOACHES & LORRIES . Page 12 . Friday,19th October,2018. VALKYRIE .

Hello Coomsey :slight_smile: They are two Daimler C-model single decker omnibuses of April 1914,bought brand new for the newly-established Coalville Bus
And Garage Company,please qv this link below:-

mediafiles.thedms.co.uk/Publicat … 201914.pdf

Daimler C-Model 40 HP,Daimler Knight Sleeve Valve-Petrol-Engined,Single Decker Omnibuses,April 1914,Coalville Bus & Garage Company Ltd. Coomsey.3#

.Daimler C-Model 40 HP,Daimler Knight Sleeve Valve-Petrol-Engined,Single Decker Omnibuses,April 1914,Coalville Bus & Garage Company Ltd. Coomsey.3#.jpg

QUOTE: Tastrucker » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:45 pm

Hayday wrote:
Skipton

Tastrucker replied:-
Is PJX 35 a Leopard or a Worldmaster ? :question: thank you Trevor UNQUOTE.

Leyland Leopard L1/Weymann B42F Single Decker Omnibus,Chassis No.612074,Body No.M330, PJX 35,8-1962,Halifax,No.35. Hayday.Preserved by Waites,Huddersfield.1#

Leyland Leopard L1/Weymann B42F Single Decker Omnibus,Chassis No.612074,Body No.M330, PJX 35,8-1962,Halifax,No.35. Hayday.Preserved by Waites,Huddersfield.Mancunian1001.4#.

VALKYRIE

[zb]
anorak:

" BMMO officially listed the top speed at 76mph, with a surprisingly fugal fuel consumption of around 15mpg." That would certainly still be considered as excellent today!

Birkenhead Corporation Leyland PD2 with Massey bodywork, seen at Leyland in 2008. Ray Smyth.

tastrucker:

hayday:
Skipton

Is PJX 35 a Leopard or a Worldmaster ? thank you Trevor

It is a Leopard. Halifax had some Worldmasters starting with fleet No 1.
The one on the right of the picture has been re-numbered after the Corporation fleet was taken over.

Regards. John.