Buses, coaches, & lorries

ChrisArbon:

This is a restored BMMO. On display at the Black Country Living Museum, along with some other old vehicles including a Star. I’m not a big fan of buses and coaches although I respect the engineering and design of them. I never traveled much as a child and was prone to travel-sickness whenever I did go any where. Cars, trains and planes made me throw-up but the worst were buses and coaches. They were always filthy dirty with that horrible smell of stale tobacco, windows running with condensation that you could never open and everybody smoking. Every trip was a nightmare. I was a half-decent footballer but never did well when playing away; the coach trip always made me ill. I’m alright if I’m driving and have never had a problem in a lorry although longer ferry crossings have always had me driving the porcelain bus.

:open_mouth: Driving the porcelain bus! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Tell me: does a double-decker Armitage-Shanks have a Fuller gearbox or a Spicer? Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

ChrisArbon:

This is a restored BMMO. On display at the Black Country Living Museum, along with some other old vehicles including a Star. I’m not a big fan of buses and coaches although I respect the engineering and design of them. I never traveled much as a child and was prone to travel-sickness whenever I did go any where. Cars, trains and planes made me throw-up but the worst were buses and coaches. They were always filthy dirty with that horrible smell of stale tobacco, windows running with condensation that you could never open and everybody smoking. Every trip was a nightmare. I was a half-decent footballer but never did well when playing away; the coach trip always made me ill. I’m alright if I’m driving and have never had a problem in a lorry although longer ferry crossings have always had me driving the porcelain bus.

:open_mouth: Driving the porcelain bus! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Tell me: does a double-decker Armitage-Shanks have a Fuller gearbox or a Spicer? Robert

In times past they were bog standard chain driver, nowadays push button E Motion it’s pity a lot of the old bus builders went down the pan.
Oily

This coach company name brings back chilling memories from the '70s.
Oily

Clipping from 1960.

Click on page twice.

oiltreader:
Oily

Makes you shudder, doesn’t it, Oily?

From Page 8. QUOTE:-

Gingerfold » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:58 pm

Cav551 wrote:

Ramone wrote:
So who was the flagship bus manufacturer when we had a say in things.Who made the best all round buses in Britain?

That will possibly end up being biased upon regional loyalties. North West Leyland, Midlands Guy or Daimler, South East AEC, South Dennis, West Bristol, North East more difficult, Scotland Albion. If you count volume only, then it’s a toss up between Leyland Motors and AEC both of whom made their own in-house bodies. Export sales would add Guy. All of that is only concentrating on double deckers, the sheer volume of Bedford coaches and single deckers puts them in the picture.

If you were to ask the various bus companies and Corporations, then some were territorial, Salford and Manchester favouring Crossley from Gorton, others switching allegiance quite regularly.

In the final analysis it probably come down to a straight choice between the perceived ‘southern sophisticate’ AEC and Leyland Motors’ advertising spiel ‘the builder of London’s Buses’.

Gingerfold replied:-

The PSV market can be classified in identical manner to the lorry market, that is premium builders and volume producers. Firmly in the first category are Leyland and AEC, the dominant two, who also built large quantities of chassis. Also in the premium category come Daimler, Bristol, Crossley, Dennis, and Guy, but whose build numbers were far smaller than Leyland and AEC. The volume producers were Bedford and Ford. Atkinson and Foden as we have seen also dabbled in PSV production, as did Seddon. The genesis of the dominant two was completely different. Leyland evolved from steam waggons to IC powered lorries to PSVs, albeit in a few years. AEC started as a bus builder for London General Omnibus Co. and went on to produce lorries, prompted by the demands of the War Office in WW1. UNQUOTE.

From page 8:-

QUOTE:-
240 Gardner » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:55 am

ERF-NGC-European wrote:

Ramone wrote:
So who was the flagship bus manufacturer when we had a say in things.Who made the best all round buses in Britain?

The only kind of all-round bus you could get was one that was bodied by the chassis and engine manufacturer - ie vertically integrated. Leyland certainly fell into this category after the war when it produced the PD1 with in-house bodywork and the 0.600 engine that would power double-deckers for the next 20+ plus years.

I would have thought that Leyland and AEC were jointly the best bus manufacturers in Britain for many years.

Robert

240 Gardner replied:-
A little note in my anorak pocket tells me that it was the PD2 which had the O.600 engine - the PD1 had the pre-war E181 engine. The O,600 also went on to power the PD3 and the PRD1 Atlantean, not to mention the Royal Tiger and the Leopard in horizontal form

And yes, Leyland produced the ‘Farington’ bodywork until 1954, but AEC also had Park Royal and C H Roe coachbuilders.UNQUOTE.

TruckNetUK. Old Time Lorries. BUSES,MOTORCOACHES & LORRIES . Page 9. VALKYRIE .Thursday,27th September,2018 .

Pages 2-8

Details of some of the motor vehicles from pages 2-8 :slight_smile:

But just before I start this post with the last photograph of the Gingerfold photograph batch,here is list of the Post-War British Motorcoach,Bus and Trolleybus Manufacturing Industry :slight_smile:. I’m a bit out of date with the latest goings-on of what is left of this
industry,which is up against European,Scandinavian,Chinese,Turkish,etc,manufacturers,but I’ll get my research together! :exclamation: :slight_smile:

British - United Kingdom Bus,Motorcoach And Trolleybus Manufacturers From 1945 To The Present - 2018.

KEY: M = Mass Producer. P = Premium Producer. S = Small Producer. T = Trolleybus Manufacturer.

1.ACE = Advanced Chassis Engineering*. S.

2.AEC = Associated Equipment Company. P.

3.Ailsa. P.

4.Albion. P.

5.Alexander. S.

6.Alexander Dennis. P.

7.Atkinson. P.

8.Austin. M.

9.BMC = British Motor Corporation. M.

10.BMMO = Birmingham Midland Motor Omnibus - Midland Red. P.

11.Beadle. P.

12.Bedford. M.

13.Bristol. P.

14.BUT =British United Traction. T.

15.Cannon. S.

16.Commer. M.

17.Crossley. P. T.

18.CVE =City Vehicle Engineering. S.

19.Daimler. P. T.

20.Dennis. P. T.

21.Dodge. M.

22.Douglas. S.

23.Duple. P.

24.ERF =Edwin Richard Foden**. P.

25.Foden. P.

26.Ford. M.

27.Forson. M.

28.Freight Rover. M.

29.GNR-Gardner =Great Northern Railway-Gardner. S.

30.Guy. P. T.

31.Harrington. S.

32.Jensen. S.

33.Karrier. M. T.

34.KIRN - Kirn . S.

35.Leyland. P.

36.LDV =Leyland DAF Vans. M.

37.Leyland National. P.

38.Leyland Redline. M.

39.Marshall. S.

40.Maudslay. P.

41.MCW =Metro - Metrepolitan Cammell Weymann. P.

42.Morris-Commercial. M.

43.Moulton. S.

44.Northern General Transport =NGT. S.

45.Omnicoach. S.

46.Optare. P.

47.Plaxton. P.

48.Quest 80. S.

49.Renault. M.

50.Rowe. S.

51.Rutland. S.

52.SMT =Scottish Motor Traction. S.

53.Saunders-Roe. S.

54.Seddon. P.

55.Sentinel. P.

56.Shelvoke & Drewry. S.

57.Sunbeam. T.

58.Talbot. M.

59.Thames. M.

60.Thornycroft. P.

61.Tilling-Stevens - TSM =Tilling Stevens Motors. P.

62.Transbus International. P.

63.Trojan. M.

64.Volvo. P.

65.Vulcan. M.

66.Ward. S.

67.Wright. P.

*ACE - Advanced Chassis Engineering. The marque name was originally going to be AEC - Albion Equipment Company ! :exclamation: :laughing: :slight_smile: ,Leyland objected,so the ACE marque was concocted :slight_smile:

**ERF.The famous lorry manufacturer also made motorcoaches and buses for sale abroad - in fact the vast majority if not all of these ERF motorcoaches and buses were built abroad.

There were no less than 182 marques of motorcoach,bus and trolleybus on the British public passenger road vehicle market up to 1945…these marques were not on the market all at the same time! :exclamation: :slight_smile: :the majority of them came and went during the first three decades of the 20th Century.By the time of the 1930s things had settled down in the market and makes such as Leyland, AEC, Bedford, Gilford, Daimler, Crossley, Guy, Bristol, Commer, Ford and Albion dominated sales,while other marques such as Tilling-Stevens-TSM, Maudslay, Karrier, Thornycroft, Sunbeam were also-rans and,with the exception of Maudslay,had reached their sales peaks during the 1920s - early 1930s.

As far as I am able to ascertain 66 British marques of motorcoach,bus and trolleybus have been on the British public passenger road vehicle market since 1945 right up to the present. My list numbers 67,but,as far as I know,ERF did not build any buses and motorcoaches for it’s home market. ERF is included for the sake of completeness :slight_smile:

Britain also had a healthy number of motor body builders which built the bodies for motorcoaches,buses and trolleybuses - some also built bodies for trams,railway carriages,cabs for lorries and so on. And some firms built high quality bodies for luxury motorcars such as Bentley, Daimler, Rolls-Royce, Hispano-Suiza, Alvis, Delage, Delahaye, Packard, Minerva, Lagonda, Cadillac, etc :slight_smile:

Alas! :exclamation: :unamused: The following firms are no longer with us :unamused: :-

1.ACB = Associated Coach Builders.

2.Beadle.

3.Beccols.

4.Bellhouse Hartwell.

5.BMMO = Birmingham Midland Motor Omnibus - Midland Red.

6.Brush.

7.Burlingham.

8.Carlyle.

9.Craven.

10.Crossley. Stopped building motorcoach,bus and trolleybus chassis but continued building bodywork,as part of AEC.

11.Duple.

12.ECW = Eastern Coach Works.

13.East Lancs = East Lancashire Coachbuilders.

14.English Electric.

15.Gurney Nutting.

16.Harrington.

17.Heaver.

18.Lawton.

19.Leyland.Produced motorcoach & bus bodies in to 1954. Re-started in 1971 re integral Leyland National.

20.Longford.

21.Longwell Green.

22.Marshall.

23.Massey.

24.Metalcraft.

25.MCW = Metro - Metropolitan Cammell Weymann.

26.Northern Coachbuilders.

27.Northern Counties = Northern Counties Motor Engineering.

28.Park Royal.Part of AEC.

29.Reeve Burgess.

30.Charles Roberts.

31.Chas H.Roe = Charles Henry Roe.Part of AEC.

32.Santus.

33.Saunders Roe.

34.Scottish Aviation.

35.Short Brothers.

36.Strachans.

37.Thurgood.

38.Trans United.

39.UVG = Universal Vehicles Group.

40.Wadham Stringer.

41.Waveney.

42.Weymann.

43.Whitson.

44.Willowbrook.

45.Windover.

46.Wycombe.

47.Yeates.

NOTE: The above list is by no means exhaustive,but I think all of the major British defunct

motor body builders for motorcoaches,buses,trams and trolleybuses are listed.

Most of these firms had disappeared by 1989. Northern Counties closed on Wednesday,26th January,2005,East Lancs became part of Optare in 2008,production of East Lancs bodies ceased in 2011 and it’s Blackburn factory was closed in 2012.

From the mid 1960s and into the early 1970s the Leyland group,and after it became British Leyland, had a monopoly of the British PSV market,and also had an healthy export trade. But because of Leyland mismanagement,misguided politicians,wrong model policies,misguided phasing out of marques,Truck & Bus Division money unfairly spent on trying to save the loss-making volume car division,and other problems - all these problems affected the lorry manufacturering side as well - British Leyland went in to terminal decline losing major market shares in the bus,motorcoach,lorry and motorcar markets…not to mention export markets! :exclamation: :unamused: British Leyland had thrown it all away! :exclamation: :unamused:

The British government sold the state-owned British Leyland off in bits and pieces:the Leyland Bus part became independent in 1986 and was bought by Volvo Bus in 1988;nearly all of the associated companies of the Leyland group - AEC, Guy, Bristol, Scammell, Daimler, Thornycroft, ECW, C.H.Roe, Park Royal,etc, had been closed by then :frowning: :unamused: Alvis, SCG - Self-Changing-Gears, Leyland Vehicles, Rover, Land Rover, Jaguar, Albion,etc survived. Leyland Vehicles became part of DAF in 1987. The Leyland marque name died two deaths: DAF dropped it in 2000 and Volvo dropped it in 1993. The fall and decline of the Leyland group/British Leyland was a tragi-comedy and a monumental calamity for a large core-part of the British Motor Industry! :exclamation: It is also a scandal! :exclamation:

And so out of 67 post-war British motorcoach,bus and trolleybus manufacturers that have been

active since 1945,the British - United Kingdom public passenger road vehicle manufacturing

industry is a vast shadow of it’s former self because only 6 survive:-

British - United Kingdom Bus And Motorcoach - Motor Coach Manufacturers 2018.

1.Alexander Dennis.

2.Cannon.

3.Optare.

4.Plaxton*.

5.Volvo**.

6.Wright.

*Plaxton is the only surviving British manufacturer of full-size motorcoach bodies.

**Volvo achieved British status because it built it’s own motorcoach and bus chassis in the United Kingdom.

The Imported Foreign Motorcoach And Bus Chassis And Body Manufacturers Currently On

The British Bus And Motorcoach - Motor Coach Market 2018.

1.Ayats. Spain.

2.BCI = Bus & Coach International. Australia.

3.Beulas. Spain.

4.BYD = Build Your Dreams. China.

5.Caetano. Portugal.

6.Erduman. Turkey.

7.Higer. China.

8.IM = Irmaos Mota. Portugal.

9.Indcar. Spain.

10.Irizar. Spain.

11.Jonckheere. Belgium.

12.King Long. China.

13.MAN. Germany.

14.MCV = Manufacturing Commercial Vehicles. Egypt.

15.Mercedes-Benz. Germany.

16.MOBIpeople. Portugal.

17.Neoplan. Germany.

18.Scania. Sweden.

19.Setra. Germany.

20.Sunsundegui. Spain.

21.Temsa. Turkey.

22.Unvi. Spain.

23.Van Hool. Belgium.

24.VDL = Van Der Leegte. Netherlands.

25.Volvo. Sweden & Britain-UK.

26.Yutong. China.

And that is the current list of foreign imported motorcoach and bus marques available on the British - United Kingdom bus and motorcoach - motor coach market in 2018.

This list is lightyears away from the traditional British motorcoach and bus building

industry of yesteryear,when AEC and Park Royal built London’s buses - not the

Egyptian MCV company!! :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused: :frowning:

AEC - Builders Of London’s Buses - that’s AEC’s famous slogan :slight_smile:

So the listed six remaining British motorcoach and bus manufacturers currently compete

• and in some cases co-operate - with the above foreign bus and motorcoach builders.

Because of the somewhat capricious nature of the public passenger road vehicle market

even some foreign manufacturers have come and gone from the British market,such as:-

1.Ajokki - Delta Plan. Finland.

2.Berkhof. Netherlands.

3.Blue Bird. United States of America.

4.BMC = British Motor Corporation,Turkey. Orginally importer of British BMC’s.

5.Bova. Netherlands.

6.Carrosserie Lorraine. France.

7.DAF = Van Doorne’s Automobielfabriek. Netherlands.

8.Designline. New Zealand.

9.Drogmoller. Germany.

10.Ensign Charisma-FAP FAMOS = Fabrika Automobila Priboj FAMOS. Serbia-Yugoslavia.

11.EOS =Eos is, in Greek mythology,the Titan Goddess of The Dawn. Belgium.Part of Van Hool.

12.Ikarus. Hungary.

13.Iveco - IVECO = Industrial Vehicles Corporation. Italy & Great Britain - UK.

14.LAG = Lambert Et Arnold Geusens. Belgium. Taken over by Van Hool. EOS replaced LAG name.

15.Marcopolo. Portugal.

16.Noge. Spain.

17.Padane. Italy.

18.Renault. France & Great Britain-UK

19.Sitcar. Italy.

20.Smit. Netherlands.

21.Spartan. United States of America.

22.TAZ Dubrava TAZ = Tvornica Autobusa Zagreb. Yugoslavia & Croatia.

23.Tecnobus. Italy.

24.Toyota. Japan & Great Britain - UK.

25.UTIC = Uniao De Transportadores Para Importacao E Comercio. Portugal.

26.Unicar. Spain.

27.Van Rooijen. Netherlands.

While Berkhof, Bova, DAF and Jonckheere are now part of the VDL Group,only the

Jonckheere and VDL marque names are currently in use.

Since 1968 there have been no less than 53 marques (they are listed above - count them all :slight_smile: )

known to me of imported foreign bus and motorcoach chassis and body makers,from many unsuprising - and some unexpected - parts of the world.

The British bus and motorcoach market has become a free-for-all for the importers,greatly

helped by the tragic-comic decline of British Leyland,it’s mis-management,it’s iniquitous phasing

out of the AEC, Albion, Bristol, Daimler, ECW, Guy, Park Royal and Chas.H.Roe marques :unamused: :unamused: :imp: -

this was THE major part of the British motorcoach and bus industry!! :exclamation: :exclamation: - and other terrible and seriously wrong follies of Leyland mis-management!! :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused: :imp:

I’m all for free commercial enterprise and competition,but for Leyland to sabotage successful
companies of it’s own is absolutely wrong and criminal!! If this had not happened,AEC ,Bristol ,Daimler ,Park Royal ,et al - plus the AEC, Scammell,etc,lorry side - would probably still be in business - and with the resultant far less foreign competition!! :exclamation: :exclamation:

And here’s another thing:We live in a crazy,mixed-up,cockeyed,mad,unfair,un-equal

and iniquitous world…you only have to witness the fall and end of the British Motor

Industry to realise this . We always thought that AEC , Morris , Foden , Rover , Leyland ,

Scammell , Bristol,et al would always be here. But they are not! :exclamation: :unamused: :imp:

And yet,after more than one-hundred years,Mercedes-Benz,is still here for the Germans,

Volvo and Scania are still here for the Swedes,Toyota is still here for the Japanese,Mack,

Kenworth,Buick,Cadillac,Lincoln,Chevrolet,Ford et al are still here for the Americans…

I could mention other surviving marques from their respective home countries…

it’s all quite poignant…

The employers and employees of the British bus and motorcoach manufacturing and operating industries of 1950 would be totally aghast and astonished as they surveyed the British bus and motorcoach world of 2018…it would be like being on another planet…so alien…so
infuriating that nearly all of the British bus and motorcoach chassis and bodybuilders had gone out of business…a very sad state of affairs
…so disappointed and mad with British management and the politicians and the lack of British pride and prestige
…and where the hell are all the famous motorcoach and bus operators with their colourful liveries,such as Yorkshire Traction,
Ribble,Southdown,Sheffield Transport,East Kent,Sheffield United Tours,London Transport,East Yorkshire,et al ? :question: …the present-day manufacturers certainly produce superb buses and motorcoaches,BUT at least a great deal of them should be built by AEC ,Bristol, Daimler,
Guy, Leyland, Harrington, Duple,etc :slight_smile:

I hope all of these facts - lists and what I’ve written and posted in this post - are interesting.

1.AEC Reliance/Plaxton Panorama Mk2 C51F Motorcoach,Chassis No.4MU3RA4052,Body No.622142, VBW 763,Oxford,May 1962,A.G. & K.M.Spiers Ltd, Henley.Gingerfold.1#

2.Bedford SB8,Leyland O.350 Diesel Oil-Engined/Yeates Europa C41F Motorcoach,Chassis No.58318,Body No.644, DJP 20,Wigan,December 1957,Stringfellow Bros Ltd,Wigan.Ray Smyth.1#

3.Leyland Tiger PS1/1/Pantechnicon Van,Chassis No.481203,LLNo.2075, JP 6968,Wigan,5-1948,Stringfellow Bros Ltd,Wigan.New as Santus C33F Motorcoach with Silver Queen -Stringfellows.Ray Smyth.1#

4.The other preserved Leyland Tiger Cub/Harrington Motorcoach,MMR 553,Silver Star,No.26 :slight_smile:
Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/2/Harrington C41C Motorcoach,Chassis No.553503,Body No.1650, MMR 553,Wiltshire,July 1955,Silver Star,No.26,Porton Down.Preserved by David Dawes,WY.MarkKirk85.1

QUOTE:- Ray Smyth » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:13 pm,Page 5.

Liverpool Corporation Transport Department had several of these Bedford artic mobile canteens.
They all had JXC and single number reg plates, were they ex London Transport ? or perhaps they
were ex London Airport like someone suggested many years ago. This one is seen at Old Haymarket
in the centre of Liverpool, parked on the tramlines, along with a Crosville Bristol Lodekka, and a
Bedford van. The trams finished running in September 1957. The locations of some of the other
mobile canteens were Lower Lane/East Lancashire Road, (Not far from Arthurs Café), Seaforth
Dock, and Speke Boulevard, near to where the Ford factory was built. To the immediate right of
the picture is the entrance to the original Mersey Tunnel. The 2 buses on the right are a Ribble
Leyland PD2, and a Liverpool Corporation bus, probably a Leyland. Regards, Ray Smyth.UNQUOTE.

One of ten such mobile canteens used by London Transport :slight_smile:
5.Bedford OSS 4x2-2,Spurling Canteen-Bodied,Articulated Mobile Refreshment Vehicle,Chassis No.OSS74343,Body No.9415, JXC 2,London,1948,Preserved London Transport 702B,MC3.LondonBusMuseum.Com.1#

.Bedford OSS 4x2-2,Spurling Canteen-Bodied,Articulated Mobile Refreshment Vehicle,Chassis No.OSS74343,Body No.9415, JXC 2,London,1948,Preserved London Transport 702B,MC3.LondonBusMuseum.Com.1#.jpg

6.Leyland Beaver TSC8,Flat-Bodied,4x2 Lorry,AXD 968,London,1934,ex-Hovis Ltd,London.Bedford O Lorry.Scammell Pioneer TRMU,30.RML - CAV551.1#

7.ERF 66CU335/Busaf, 6x2-Newey Trailing Axle, Single Decker Bus, SAS MT 17810, South African Railways. ■■■■■■■ HNE335 Diesel Engine, Fuller 9-Speed Gearbox. John Ward.1#

From page 7.
8.Leyland Titanic TT1,1938 Harrington C37F,6x4,Motorcoach,Chassis No.2289, AGH 150,London,3-1933,new to City C.C.,as Dodson H34,20RO DD,TS2,then London Transport,TC2,1934,sold 1938,re-bodied.Letch’s.OilTreader.1#

Bus in PD 21566659346_3a9460a7b5_o pd.jpg

The above magnificent Leyland Titanic,Harrington 6x4 Motorcoach,AGH 150,had a colourful history :slight_smile: :-
Built for the famous City Coach Company as a Dodson double decker bus,No.TS2 - two others were bought AGH 149 and AGH 151,TS1 - TS3,1933.
All three passed on to London Transport in 1934,Nos TC1-3,their original diesel-oil engines were exchanged for petrol engines in November 1935.
All three sold to Lancashire Motor Traders,Salford,in May 1938 and were re-bodied as Harrington single decker motorcoaches and from then on each had different operator histories.
AGH 150 itself had seven operators during it’s career as a motorcoach: it’s final one was A.E Letch,Sible Hedingham,from February 1948 to March
1952 and was unfortunately scrapped in August 1952 - it ought to have been preserved! :exclamation:

From page 8.
9.Leyland Gnu TEC2/Duple FC39C,6x2 Twin Steer Chinese Six,Motorcoach,Chassis No.302995,Body No.6710,Series 2, HVW 217,Essex,August 1939,City Coach Company,No.G6. Beautiful :slight_smile: Fact :slight_smile: Pinterest.1#

.Leyland Gnu TEC2,Duple FC39C,6x2 Twin Steer Chinese Six,Motorcoach,Chassis No.302995,Body No.6710,Series 2, HVW 217,Essex,August 1939,City Coach Company,No.G6. Beautiful.Fact.Pinterest.1#.jpg

10.Karrier Road-Railer Road-Rail/Craven, Single Decker Motorcoach,UR 7924,Hertford,1932,of the LMSR and one of it’s Midland Railway,Johnson Designed,Fowler Re-Built,4-4-0 Steam Railway Locomotives,LMSR,No.556. RailwayMagazine.1#

VALKYRIE

VALKYRIE:

Cav551 wrote:

Ramone wrote:

That will possibly end up being biased upon regional loyalties. North West Leyland, Midlands Guy or Daimler, South East AEC, South Dennis, West Bristol, North East more difficult, Scotland Albion. If you count volume only, then it’s a toss up between Leyland Motors and AEC both of whom made their own in-house bodies. Export sales would add Guy. All of that is only concentrating on double deckers, the sheer volume of Bedford coaches and single deckers puts them in the picture.

If you were to ask the various bus companies and Corporations, then some were territorial, Salford and Manchester favouring Crossley from Gorton, others switching allegiance quite regularly.

In the final analysis it probably come down to a straight choice between the perceived ‘southern sophisticate’ AEC and Leyland Motors’ advertising spiel ‘the builder of London’s Buses’.

The PSV market can be classified in identical manner to the lorry market, that is premium builders and volume producers. Firmly in the first category are Leyland and AEC, the dominant two, who also built large quantities of chassis. Also in the premium category come Daimler, Bristol, Crossley, Dennis, and Guy, but whose build numbers were far smaller than Leyland and AEC. The volume producers were Bedford and Ford. Atkinson and Foden as we have seen also dabbled in PSV production, as did Seddon. The genesis of the dominant two was completely different. Leyland evolved from steam waggons to IC powered lorries to PSVs, albeit in a few years. AEC started as a bus builder for London General Omnibus Co. and went on to produce lorries, prompted by the demands of the War Office in WW1. UNQUOTE.

ERF-NGC-European wrote:

Ramone wrote:

The only kind of all-round bus you could get was one that was bodied by the chassis and engine manufacturer - ie vertically integrated. Leyland certainly fell into this category after the war when it produced the PD1 with in-house bodywork and the 0.600 engine that would power double-deckers for the next 20+ plus years.

I would have thought that Leyland and AEC were jointly the best bus manufacturers in Britain for many years.

Robert

A little note in my anorak pocket tells me that it was the PD2 which had the O.600 engine - the PD1 had the pre-war E181 engine. The O,600 also went on to power the PD3 and the PRD1 Atlantean, not to mention the Royal Tiger and the Leopard in horizontal form

And yes, Leyland produced the ‘Farington’ bodywork until 1954, but AEC also had Park Royal and C H Roe coachbuilders.UNQUOTE.

TruckNetUK. Old Time Lorries. BUSES,MOTORCOACHES & LORRIES . Page 9. VALKYRIE .Thursday,27th September,2018 .

Pages 2-8

But just before I start this post with the last photograph of the Gingerfold photograph batch,here is list of the Post-War British Motorcoach,Bus and Trolleybus Manufacturing Industry :slight_smile:. I’m a bit out of date with the latest goings-on of what is left of this
industry,which is up against European,Scandinavian,Chinese,Turkish,etc,manufacturers,but I’ll get my research together! :exclamation: :slight_smile:

British - United Kingdom Bus,Motorcoach And Trolleybus Manufacturers From 1945 To The Present - 2018.

KEY: M = Mass Producer. P = Premium Producer. S = Small Producer. T = Trolleybus Manufacturer.

3.Ailsa. P.

4.Albion. P.

5.Alexander. S.

6.Alexander Dennis. P.

7.Atkinson. P.

8.Austin. M.

11.Beadle. P.

12.Bedford. M.

13.Bristol. P.

15.Cannon. S.

16.Commer. M.

17.Crossley. P. T.

19.Daimler. P. T.

20.Dennis. P. T.

21.Dodge. M.

22.Douglas. S.

23.Duple. P.

25.Foden. P.

26.Ford. M.

27.Forson. M.

28.Freight Rover. M.

30.Guy. P. T.

31.Harrington. S.

32.Jensen. S.

33.Karrier. M. T.

34.KIRN - Kirn . S.

35.Leyland. P.

37.Leyland National. P.

38.Leyland Redline. M.

39.Marshall. S.

40.Maudslay. P.

42.Morris-Commercial. M.

43.Moulton. S.

45.Omnicoach. S.

46.Optare. P.

47.Plaxton. P.

48.Quest 80. S.

49.Renualt. M.

50.Rowe. S.

51.Rutland. S.

53.Saunder-Roe. S.

54.Seddon. P.

55.Sentinel. P.

56.Shelvoke & Drewry. S.

57.Sunbeam. T.

58.Talbot. M.

59.Thames. M.

60.Thornycroft. P.

63.Trojan. M.

64.Volvo. P.

65.Vulcan. M.

66.Ward. S.

67.Wright. P.

*ACE - Advanced Chassis Engineering. The marque name was originally going to be AEC - Albion Equipment Company ! :exclamation: :laughing: :slight_smile: ,Leyland objected,so the ACE marque was concocted :slight_smile:

**ERF.The famous lorry manufacturer also made motorcoaches and buses for sale abroad - in fact the vast majority if not all of these ERF motorcoaches and buses were built abroad.

There were no less than 182 marques of motorcoach,bus and trolleybus on the British public passenger road vehicle market up to 1945…these marques were not on the market all at the same time! :exclamation: :slight_smile: :the majority of them came and went during the first three decades of the 20th Century.By the time of the 1930s things had settled down in the market and makes such as Leyland, AEC, Bedford, Gilford, Daimler, Crossley, Guy, Bristol, Commer, Ford and Albion dominated sales,while other marques such as Tilling-Stevens-TSM, Maudslay, Karrier, Thornycroft, Sunbeam were also-rans and,with the exception of Maudslay,had reached their sales peaks during the 1920s - early 1930s.

As far as I am able to ascertain 66 British marques of motorcoach,bus and trolleybus have been on the British public passenger road vehicle market since 1945 right up to the present. My list numbers 67,but,as far as I know,ERF did not build any buses and motorcoaches for it’s home market. ERF is included for the sake of completeness :slight_smile:

Britain also had a healthy number of motor body builders which built the bodies for motorcoaches,buses and trolleybuses - some also built bodies for trams,railway carriages,cabs for lorries and so on. And some firms built high quality bodies for luxury motorcars such as Bentley, Daimler, Rolls-Royce, Hispano-Suiza, Alvis, Delage, Delahaye, Packard, Minerva, Lagonda, Cadillac, etc :slight_smile:

Alas! :exclamation: :unamused: The following firms are no longer with us :unamused: :-

2.Beadle.

3.Beccols.

4.Bellhouse Hartwell.

6.Brush.

7.Burlingham.

8.Carlyle.

9.Craven.

10.Crossley. Stopped building motorcoach,bus and trolleybus chassis but continued building bodywork,as part of AEC.

11.Duple.

14.English Electric.

15.Gurney Nutting.

16.Harrington.

17.Heaver.

18.Lawton.

19.Leyland.Produced motorcoach & bus bodies in to 1954. Re-started in 1971 re integral Leyland National.

20.Longford.

21.Longwell Green.

22.Marshall.

23.Massey.

24.Metalcraft.

29.Reeve Burgess.

30.Charles Roberts.

32.Santus.

33.Saunders Roe.

34.Scottish Aviation.

35.Short Brothers.

36.Strachans.

37.Thurgood.

38.Trans United.

40.Wadham Stringer.

41.Waveney.

42.Weymann.

43.Whitson.

44.Willowbrook.

45.Windover.

46.Wycombe.

47.Yeates.

NOTE: The above list is by no means exhaustive,but I think all of the major British defunct

Most of these firms had disappeared by 1989. Northern Counties closed on Wednesday,26th January,2005,East Lancs became part of Optare in 2008,production of East Lancs bodies ceased in 2011 and it’s Blackburn factory was closed in 2012.

From the mid 1960s and into the early 1970s the Leyland group,and after it became British Leyland, had a monopoly of the British PSV market,and also had an healthy export trade. But because of Leyland mismanagement,misguided politicians,wrong model policies,misguided phasing out of marques,Truck & Bus Division money unfairly spent on trying to save the loss-making volume car division,and other problems - all these problems affected the lorry manufacturering side as well - British Leyland went in to terminal decline losing major market shares in the bus,motorcoach,lorry and motorcar markets…not to mention export markets! :exclamation: :unamused: British Leyland had thrown it all away! :exclamation: :unamused:

The British government sold the state-owned British Leyland off in bits and pieces:the Leyland Bus part became independent in 1986 and was bought by Volvo Bus in 1988;nearly all of the associated companies of the Leyland group - AEC, Guy, Bristol, Scammell, Daimler, Thornycroft, ECW, C.H.Roe, Park Royal,etc, had been closed by then :frowning: :unamused: Alvis, SCG - Self-Changing-Gears, Leyland Vehicles, Rover, Land Rover, Jaguar, Albion,etc survived. Leyland Vehicles became part of DAF in 1987. The Leyland marque name died two deaths: DAF dropped it in 2000 and Volvo dropped it in 1993. The fall and decline of the Leyland group/British Leyland was a tragi-comedy and a monumental calamity for a large core-part of the British Motor Industry! :exclamation: It is also a scandal! :exclamation:

And so out of 67 post-war British motorcoach,bus and trolleybus manufacturers that have been

active since 1945,the British - United Kingdom public passenger road vehicle manufacturing

1.Alexander Dennis.

2.Cannon.

3.Optare.

4.Plaxton*.

5.Volvo**.

6.Wright.

*Plaxton is the only surviving British manufacturer of full-size motorcoach bodies.

**Volvo achieved British status because it built it’s own motorcoach and bus chassis in the United.

The Imported Foreign Motorcoach And Bus Chassis And Body Manufacturers Currently On

1.Ayats. Spain.

3.Beulas. Spain.

5.Caetano. Portugal.

6.Erduman. Turkey.

7.Higer. China.

9.Indcar. Spain.

10.Irizar. Spain.

11.Jonckheere. Belgium.

12.King Long. China.

13.MAN. Germany.

16.MOBIpeople. Portugal.

17.Neoplan. Germany.

18.Scania. Sweden.

19.Setra. Germany.

20.Sunsundegui. Spain.

21.Temsa. Turkey.

22.Unvi. Spain.

23.Van Hool. Belgium.

26.Yutong. China.

And that is the current list of foreign imported motorcoach and bus marques available on the British - United Kingdom bus and motorcoach - motor coach market in 2018.

This list is lightyears away from the traditional British motorcoach and bus building

Egyptian MCV company!! :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused: :frowning:

So the listed six remaining British motorcoach and bus manufacturers currently compete

• and in some cases co-operate - with the above foreign bus and motorcoach builders.

Because of the somewhat capricious nature of the public passenger road vehicle market

even some foreign manufacturers have come and gone from the British market,such as:-

2.Berkhof. Netherlands.

5.Bova. Netherlands.

9.Drogmoller. Germany.

10.Ensign Charisma-FAP FAMOS = Fabrika Automobila Priboj FAMOS. Serbia-Yugoslavia.

11.EOS =Eos is, in Greek mythology,the Titan Goddess of The Dawn. Belgium.Part of Van Hool.

12.Ikarus. Hungary.

14.LAG = Lambert Et Arnold Geusens. Belgium. Taken over by Van Hool. EOS replaced LAG name.

15.Marcopolo. Portugal.

16.Noge. Spain.

17.Padane. Italy.

18.Renualt. France & Great Britain - UK.

19.Smit. Netherlands.

20.Spartan. United States of America.

21.TAZ Dubrava TAZ = Tvornica Autobusa Zagreb. Yugoslavia & Croatia.

22.Toyota. Japan & Great Britain - UK.

23.UTIC = Uniao De Transportadores Para Importacao E Comercio. Portugal.

24.Unicar. Spain.

25.Van Rooijen. Netherlands.

Since 1968 there have been no less than 51 marques (they are listed above - count them all :slight_smile: )

known to me of imported foreign bus and motorcoach chassis and body makers,from many unsuprising - and some unexpected - parts of the world.

The British bus and motorcoach market has become a free-for-all for the importers,greatly

helped by the tragic-comic decline of British Leyland,it’s mis-management,it’s iniquitous phasing

out of the AEC, Albion, Bristol, Daimler, ECW, Guy, Park Royal and Chas.H.Roe marques :unamused: :unamused: :imp: -

this was THE major part of the British motorcoach and bus industry!! :exclamation: :exclamation: - and other terrible and seriously wrong follies of Leyland mis-management!! :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused: :imp:

I’m all for free commercial enterprise and competition,but for Leyland to sabotage successful
companies of it’s own is absolutely wrong and criminal!! If this had not happened,AEC ,Bristol ,Daimler ,Park Royal ,et al - plus the AEC, Scammell,etc,lorry side - would probably still be in business - and with the resultant far less foreign competition!! :exclamation: :exclamation:

And here’s another thing:We live in a crazy,mixed-up,cockeyed,mad,unfair,un-equal

and iniquitous world…you only have to witness the fall and end of the British Motor

Industry to realise this . We always thought that AEC , Morris , Foden , Rover , Leyland ,

Scammell , Bristol,et al would always be here. But they are not! :exclamation: :unamused: :imp:

And yet,after more than one-hundred years,Mercedes-Benz,is still here for the Germans,

Volvo and Scania are still here for the Swedes,Toyota is still here for the Japanese,Mack,

Kenworth,Buick,Cadillac,Lincoln,Chevrolet,Ford et al are still here for the Americans…

it’s all quite poignant…

The employers and employees of the British bus and motorcoach manufacturing and operating industries of 1950 would be totally aghast and astonished as they surveyed the British bus and motorcoach world of 2018…it would be like being on another planet…so alien…so
infuriating that nearly all of the British bus and motorcoach chassis and bodybuilders had gone out of business…a very sad state of affairs
…so disappointed and mad with British management and the politicians and the lack of British pride and prestige
…and where the hell are all the famous motorcoach and bus operators with their colourful liveries,such as Yorkshire Traction,
Ribble,Southdown,Sheffield Transport,East Kent,Sheffield United Tours,London Transport,East Yorkshire,et al ? :question: …the present-day manufacturers certainly produce superb buses and motorcoaches,BUT at least a great deal of them should be built by AEC ,Bristol, Daimler,

I hope all of these facts - lists and what I’ve written and posted in this post - are interesting.

1.AEC Reliance/Plaxton Panorama Mk2 C51F Motorcoach,Chassis No.4MU3RA4052,Body No.622142, VBW 763,Oxford,May 1962,A.G. & K.M.Spiers Ltd, Henley.Gingerfold.1#

2.Bedford SB8,Leyland O.350 Diesel Oil-Engined/Yeates Europa C41F Motorcoach,Chassis No.58318,Body No.644, DJP 20,Wigan,December 1957,Stringfellow Bros Ltd,Wigan.Ray Smyth.1#

3.Leyland Tiger PS1/1/Pantechnicon Van,Chassis No.481203,LLNo.2075, JP 6968,Wigan,5-1948,Stringfellow Bros Ltd,Wigan.New as Santus C33F Motorcoach with Silver Queen -Stringfellows.Ray Smyth.1#

4.The other preserved Leyland Tiger Cub/Harrington Motorcoach,MMR 553,Silver Star,No.26 :slight_smile:
Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/2/Harrington C41C Motorcoach,Chassis No.553503,Body No.1650, MMR 553,Wiltshire,July 1955,Silver Star,No.26,Porton Down.Preserved by David Dawes,WY.MarkKirk85.1

Liverpool Corporation Transport Department had several of these Bedford artic mobile canteens.
They all had JXC and single number reg plates, were they ex London Transport ? or perhaps they
were ex London Airport like someone suggested many years ago. This one is seen at Old Haymarket
in the centre of Liverpool, parked on the tramlines, along with a Crosville Bristol Lodekka, and a
Bedford van. The trams finished running in September 1957. The locations of some of the other
mobile canteens were Lower Lane/East Lancashire Road, (Not far from Arthurs Café), Seaforth
Dock, and Speke Boulevard, near to where the Ford factory was built. To the immediate right of
the picture is the entrance to the original Mersey Tunnel. The 2 buses on the right are a Ribble
Leyland PD2, and a Liverpool Corporation bus, probably a Leyland. Regards, Ray Smyth.UNQUOTE.

5.Bedford OSS 4x2-2,Spurling Canteen-Bodied,Articulated Mobile Refreshment Vehicle,Chassis No.OSS74343,Body No.9415, JXC 2,London,1948,Preserved London Transport 702B,MC3.LondonBusMuseum.Com.1#

6.Leyland Beaver TSC8,Flat-Bodied,4x2 Lorry,AXD 968,London,1934,ex-Hovis Ltd,London.Bedford O Lorry.Scammell Pioneer TRMU,30.RML - CAV551.1#

7.ERF 66CU335/Busaf,6x2-Newey Trailing Axle,Single Decker Bus,SAS MT 17810,South African Railways. ■■■■■■■ HNE335 Diesel Engine,Fuller 6-Speed Gearbox. John Ward.1#

From page 7.
8.Leyland Titanic TT1,1938 Harrington C37F,6x4,Motorcoach,Chassis No.2289, AGH 150,London,3-1933,new to City C.C.,as Dodson H34,20RO DD,TS2,then London Transport,TC2,1934,sold 1938,re-bodied.Letch’s.OilTreader.1#

The above magnificent Leyland Titanic,Harrington 6x4 Motorcoach,AGH 150,had a colourful history :slight_smile: :-
Built for the famous City Coach Company as a Dodson double decker bus,No.TS2 - two others were bought AGH 149 and AGH 151,TS1 - TS3,1933.
All three passed on London Transport in 1934,Nos TC1-3,their original diesel-oil engines were exchanged for petrol engines in November 1935.
All three sold to Lancashire Motor Traders,Salford,in May 1938 and were re-bodied as Harrington single decker motorcoaches and from then on each had different operator histories.
AGH 150 itself had seven operators during it’s career as a motorcoach: it’s final one was A.E Letch,Sible Hedingham,from February 1948 to March
1952 and was unfortunately scrapped in August 1952 - it ought to have been preserved! :exclamation:

From page 8.
9.Leyland Gnu TEC2/Duple FC39C,6x2 Twin Steer Chinese Six,Motorcoach,Chassis No.302995,Body No.6710,Series 2, HVW 217,Essex,August 1939,City Coach Company,No.G6. Beautiful :slight_smile: Fact :slight_smile: Pinterest.1#

10.Karrier Road-Railer Road-Rail/Craven, Single Decker Motorcoach,UR 7924,Hertford,1932,of the LMSR and one of it’s Midland Railway,Johnson Designed,Fowler Re-Built,4-4-0 Steam Railway Locomotives,LMSR,No.556. RailwayMagazine.1#

VALKYRIE

Should Alf Moseley of Loughborough be added to this list? I believe they had an early association with Caetano but I’m sure they also built their own bespoke bodies. Also, are the Moseley group of West Yorkshire anyway associated with them (one would assume so being in the same industry - but I don’t know!)

ChrisArbon:

Snap, travel for me as a youngster was a nightmare. I only had to see a set of wheels and i wanted to throw up.
Travelling back from Bristol Zoo to Weston Super Mare,long ago, my Dad had to jump off the Bristol Tramways bus with me in the middle of nowhere.
I threw up then we where lucky enough to get a lift in a bakery waggon, i cannot remember what it was or who it belonged to, but Dad would often remark later that the overpowering smell of fresh bread did not upset me at all.
Then what did i end up becoming,? Thats right, a lorry driver, for 40 years.!!

1 Hislop (1).JPG
1 Hislop (1).JPG

Breakdown recovery.
Oily

Bus Peter Edgeler cc by nc nd 2.09782182835_7c9a07403d_pe k.jpg

oiltreader:
Oily

Hello Oily ,Whittles had afew of those Tiger Cubs ,think the company are still in business now at Kidderminster thank you Trevor

I think that this classic old photo belongs on this thread.
It was taken on Blackpool Road, Preston sometime in the sixties but does anybody local know if that’s The Hesketh Arms on the left. :confused:

mushroomman:
It was taken on Blackpool Road, Preston sometime in the sixties but does anybody local know if that’s The Hesketh Arms on the left. :confused:

This photo was taken on Blackpool Road, Preston - a few miles West of the Hesketh Arms. The road on the left is Pedders Lane and that on the right (where the phone box is) is Cottam Lane. The garage on the left sold Bond mini cars - later, Jaguars. (It is now a shoe shop).
Summer traffic volumes at this junction changed drastically once the M55 was opened.

Thanks for that mate, I have now been able to locate it on Google Earth. :smiley:
This one from The Manchester Archives say’s Cannon Street of course it’s all changed around there now but I just wondered as a couple of posters have mentioned about mobile canteens for the bus drivers and conductors, could that be one parked up on the left of the picture.

TROOPER 8011:

mushroomman:

This photo was taken on Blackpool Road, Preston - a few miles West of the Hesketh Arms. The road on the left is Pedders Lane and that on the right (where the phone box is) is Cottam Lane. The garage on the left sold Bond mini cars - later, Jaguars. (It is now a shoe shop).
Summer traffic volumes at this junction changed drastically once the M55 was opened.

Excellent photo of it here:

flickr.com/photos/rpsmithba … NUK-dyzNTc

Just found this picture on a French website. These Green Line buses used to run in Kensington High Street in the late '60s, but without stopping. I suppose they were on a long-distance run?

The picture has been taken at one of the Amersham and District Motorbus Society’s annual running days. This is either Chiltern Ave or St George’s Rd.

The Green Line network was run by London Transport as an Express, limited stop, long distance service, linking towns on the very fringes of its operating area with Central London. The routes however continued across London to terminate in another town in the opposite geographical corner. Amersham had two services, the 703 which ran to Wrotham and the 710 which finished in Crawley. The journey times for routes could be up to 4 hours, with the bus usually swapping crews with the distant operating garage at some point en route. Occasionally a crew would work right through.

The vehicles featured are AEC Regal IVs known by LT as RFs, these were the workhorse of the Green Line network being capable both of a good turn of speed - around 50mph and able to tolerate crawling through the congestion on a hot day. The one known failing being the occasional incidence of overheating at speed, caused by turbulence under the bus interfering with the airflow to the radiator. By the late 1970s LT, and London Country Buses who took over Green Line, were desperate to modernise the fleet, however they found that the spares situation and appalling unreliability of their modern fleet left them with insufficient vehicles on a daily basis. While the RF and RT ( double deck AEC Regent IIIs) were all in the region of 25 + years old, they could be relied upon to complete a full day’s duty without incident and freqently run to the next scheduled maintenance inspection without requiring the level of attention their more modern counterparts demanded.

During the same 4 year period of maintaining an RF and the Green Line coach version of the Routemaster (RMC) for the same enthusiasts, I found that the fabled trouble-free Routemaster required approaching three times as many visits for attention compared to the RF.

Amersham running day videos:

youtube.com/watch?v=ggwsTbrkZM8

youtube.com/watch?v=DCX_muaNV3E

VALKYRIE:

Cav551 wrote:

Ramone wrote:

ERF-NGC-European wrote:

Ramone wrote:

Robert

Pages 2-8

3.Ailsa. P.

4.Albion. P.

5.Alexander. S.

6.Alexander Dennis. P.

7.Atkinson. P.

8.Austin. M.

11.Beadle. P.

12.Bedford. M.

13.Bristol. P.

15.Cannon. S.

16.Commer. M.

17.Crossley. P. T.

19.Daimler. P. T.

20.Dennis. P. T.

21.Dodge. M.

22.Douglas. S.

23.Duple. P.

25.Foden. P.

26.Ford. M.

27.Forson. M.

28.Freight Rover. M.

30.Guy. P. T.

31.Harrington. S.

32.Jensen. S.

33.Karrier. M. T.

34.KIRN - Kirn . S.

35.Leyland. P.

37.Leyland National. P.

38.Leyland Redline. M.

39.Marshall. S.

40.Maudslay. P.

42.Morris-Commercial. M.

43.Moulton. S.

45.Omnicoach. S.

46.Optare. P.

47.Plaxton. P.

48.Quest 80. S.

49.Renault. M.

50.Rowe. S.

51.Rutland. S.

53.Saunders-Roe. S.

54.Seddon. P.

55.Sentinel. P.

56.Shelvoke & Drewry. S.

57.Sunbeam. T.

58.Talbot. M.

59.Thames. M.

60.Thornycroft. P.

63.Trojan. M.

64.Volvo. P.

65.Vulcan. M.

66.Ward. S.

67.Wright. P.

2.Beadle.

3.Beccols.

4.Bellhouse Hartwell.

6.Brush.

7.Burlingham.

8.Carlyle.

9.Craven.

11.Duple.

14.English Electric.

15.Gurney Nutting.

16.Harrington.

17.Heaver.

18.Lawton.

20.Longford.

21.Longwell Green.

22.Marshall.

23.Massey.

24.Metalcraft.

29.Reeve Burgess.

30.Charles Roberts.

32.Santus.

33.Saunders Roe.

34.Scottish Aviation.

35.Short Brothers.

36.Strachans.

37.Thurgood.

38.Trans United.

40.Wadham Stringer.

41.Waveney.

42.Weymann.

43.Whitson.

44.Willowbrook.

45.Windover.

46.Wycombe.

47.Yeates.

1.Alexander Dennis.

2.Cannon.

3.Optare.

4.Plaxton*.

5.Volvo**.

6.Wright.

**Volvo achieved British status because it built it’s own motorcoach and bus chassis in the United Kingdom.

1.Ayats. Spain.

3.Beulas. Spain.

5.Caetano. Portugal.

6.Erduman. Turkey.

7.Higer. China.

9.Indcar. Spain.

10.Irizar. Spain.

11.Jonckheere. Belgium.

12.King Long. China.

13.MAN. Germany.

16.MOBIpeople. Portugal.

17.Neoplan. Germany.

18.Scania. Sweden.

19.Setra. Germany.

20.Sunsundegui. Spain.

21.Temsa. Turkey.

22.Unvi. Spain.

23.Van Hool. Belgium.

26.Yutong. China.

2.Berkhof. Netherlands.

5.Bova. Netherlands.

9.Drogmoller. Germany.

12.Ikarus. Hungary.

15.Marcopolo. Portugal.

16.Noge. Spain.

17.Padane. Italy.

18.Renault. France & Great Britain-UK

19.Sitcar. Italy.

20.Smit. Netherlands.

21.Spartan. United States of America.

22.TAZ Dubrava TAZ = Tvornica Autobusa Zagreb. Yugoslavia & Croatia.

23.Tecnobus. Italy.

24.Toyota. Japan & Great Britain - UK.

25.UTIC = Uniao De Transportadores Para Importacao E Comercio. Portugal.

26.Unicar. Spain.

27.Van Rooijen. Netherlands.

Since 1968 there have been no less than 53 marques (they are listed above - count them all :slight_smile: )

it’s all quite poignant…

7.ERF 66CU335/Busaf, 6x2-Newey Trailing Axle, Single Decker Bus, SAS MT 17810, South African Railways. ■■■■■■■ HNE335 Diesel Engine, Fuller 9-Speed Gearbox. John Ward.1#

From page 7.

All three passed on to London Transport in 1934,Nos TC1-3,their original diesel-oil engines were exchanged for petrol engines in November 1935.

From page 8.

VALKYRIE

Absolutely fascinating and absorbing reading. Thanks a bundle.

tastrucker:

oiltreader:
Oily

Hello Oily ,Whittles had afew of those Tiger Cubs ,think the company are still in business now at Kidderminster thank you Trevor

Yes still going Trevor, but back in '75 the family went through hell. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnappin … ey_Whittle
Oily

Chaps, you can still praise Valkerie’s informative piece without actually including the whole thing in your reply. Just delete the text. The praise will be more powerful as a one-liner rather than a thousand-and-one liner :wink: Robert