Bus driver is 'sacked for being too short'

Don’t any of you read an article properly ? :unamused: she’s been driving fine as a bus driver for nearly 34 years ,
It’s because Go Ahead have changed stuff with out consultation with their staff that’s caused this :imp: , not her height or ability to drive a bus :wink:

Swordsy:
Ludicrous.

Im a 5’4 shortarse and i have no problems driving, working etc…occasionally if a trailer door has a short strap to pull it down I have to ask a ‘giant’ to pull it down for me :slight_smile:

You haven’t actually stated if she should be made to carry on driving the new buses and make do with her short comings?
If the bus company should buy her own personal “mini” bus?
Or she should just work the less hrs/less pay alternative?

blue estate:
Don’t any of you read an article properly ? :unamused: she’s been driving fine as a bus driver for nearly 34 years ,
It’s because Go Ahead have changed stuff with out consultation with their staff that’s caused this :imp: , not her height or ability to drive a bus :wink:

What? ask people who actually do the job for any sensible input/suggestions before spending untold amounts on new tackle on the say so of some salesman, perish the thought man.
Anyway, what does experience count for these days (in too many places sadly), she’s probably forgotten more about bus driving than the pen pushers supposedly running the bloody show will ever know.

Offer her the alternative position, but make sure she doesnt suffer financially? The company will probably be saving more money on broken mirrors, etc than they will be paying extra in wages. If not saving that much, dont do it.

Offer redundancy?
Maybe she would accept, maybe not. Again the company reckon to save from maintenance on mirrors.

Make her a trainer or supervisor? With her good record and experience she should be a shoo-in.
No vacancy today? There will be sometime, so keep her until then. Maybe she could train new drivers not to break so many mirrors?

If it costs more to get rid of her, than to break lots of mirrors, then keep breaking mirrors to save money!

stu675:

Swordsy:
Ludicrous.

Im a 5’4 shortarse and i have no problems driving, working etc…occasionally if a trailer door has a short strap to pull it down I have to ask a ‘giant’ to pull it down for me :slight_smile:

You haven’t actually stated if she should be made to carry on driving the new buses and make do with her short comings?
If the bus company should buy her own personal “mini” bus?
Or she should just work the less hrs/less pay alternative?

The point i was trying to make is that in the 2 years from when they started the introduction of the new style mirrors they could of trained her to a sutible level that would mean she could take a new job at better pay or even the same pay. driver trainer springs to mind that way she is still using her skills and experience but according to the article both parties chose to kick the can down the road.

dang Franglais beat me to it

cooper1203:
dang Franglais beat me to it

Ah, but you did make the very good point that this problem has been evolving for two years.

Go North West are always in the news for the wrong reasons. They are trying to get rid of the senior drivers. They were on strike beginning of the year due to terms and conditions being changed.

I am defo height challenged ( 147 cm) not had many problems driving defo not with mirrors maybe the company should have bought the Merc which are mirror less as you can get them for busses

All busses have cameras on now as well

Swordsy:
Ludicrous.

I’m 5’9 and still have to ask someone to pull those bloody things for me. I’m on the fridges now and thankfully no shutter doors [emoji849][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grumpybum:
I am height-challenged at 5’3,

You still 5" taller than me

There have been several cases of bus drivers being sacked for being too fat, surely this is all irrelevant if they have passed medicals and have no issues with illness or medication.

Where I work the “larger” drivers clip the seat belt sit down and put it over their shoulder. You can buy seat belt extenders. I wonder how valid the medical is when you see some really unhealthy people driving.

Wheel Nut:
There have been several cases of bus drivers being sacked for being too fat, surely this is all irrelevant if they have passed medicals and have no issues with illness or medication.

That is because the drivers seat is only covered under warranty up to 20 stone, iirc.

We had a female driver who was stood down, and made a spare driver because she could not reach the emergency exit button above the front doors.

rambo19:

Wheel Nut:

That is because the drivers seat is only covered under warranty up to 20 stone, iirc.

We had a female driver who was stood down, and made a spare driver because she could not reach the emergency exit button above the front doors.

A case for steel toe-cap stiletto heels?

rambo19:

Wheel Nut:

We had a female driver who was stood down, and made a spare driver because she could not reach the emergency exit button above the front doors[/
[/quote]
How on earth can they justify that and then make the lady a spare driver? neither action makes sense.
The COIF regs refer to the emergency exit button as being located such that a person of “normal” height can reach it. Statistically “Normal” is considered to be “close to Average”. That does not equate to meaning that “Normal” and “Average” have the same value. Bus legal lettering decals include " Push to Open" and “Pull to Open”. It is quite possible to open a bus door even though close ed has been selected, it just needs holding open. It requires either the close button to be held down or a short circuit to prevent this. A short would be capable of overriding both the internal and external emergency buttons.